57 deluxe vs champ

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by spurgie79, Sep 15, 2020.

1. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

I find myself wanting a tweed champ even though I have a custom shop deluxe that I bought used about 10 years ago. What are the pros and cons and for heaven's sake talk me out of it!

2. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Get a monoprice 5w. Keep the tone pretty much rolled off on the amp. If you dont care for it, dont bother. If you like it, get a champ and use the monoprice as a spare/knock around amp or project.

I've got a champ clone and a couple deluxe clones from Lil Dawg. The champ is a cool little amp but the least used. My 5b3 deluxe clone has some characteristics of a champ but in a bigger package. I find that it meets in the middle and makes a really good home as well as gig amp. Not too boxy and small sounding but not too big sounding either. It has the bite and kind of cello like tone that you get from a champ without being overly honky.

spurgie79 likes this.
  3. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Meister

I have had my Clapton vibro champ for several years now, and already had a tweed Harvard. I think that it's great to have both. The Champ has some great grind on tap, and the cleans are sweet too. It would be a cool duo, the tweed Deluxe and a tweed Champ. Go for it!

spurgie79 likes this.
  4. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

I skipped those Clapton versions but I wish I bought one of each.

Cali Dude likes this.
  5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I know there are a bunch of Champ lovers around here, but I just don't get it. Every time I get all open minded, I'll try one again, and to me it's just a buzzy little amp. Small box, small speaker, sounds like it. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong.

I know Clapton/Layla and all that, but I submit that it was Clapton's greatness that made it happen. The guitar sound was thin and whiney IMO. If I spent a grand for a guitar and a grand for an amp and that was the best it could do, I wouldn't trust myself to pick out another piece of gear in this life.

Tweed Deluxe has a lot more guts, more low end punch. 12" speaker vs. 8". And if you are a social animal with only one amp (like me), you have that extra channel sitting there for a friend to plug in.

stevemc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.