1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

57' Deluxe (5E3) in standy modę...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jared Purdy, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Doing everything wrong for over 70 years. Wow, I'd like that recipe.

JDRNoPro and telemnemonics like this.
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

There is no reason to warm tubes up in the standby mode. there is no such th8ng as cathode stripping in our guitar amps since it takes in the area of 10,000volts to cause such harmful stripping.
    However, leaving an amp in the standby mode for extended periods does call gradual degrading of the tubes due to a situation known as cathode poisoning. I first learned of this about 22-23 years ago when I first heard debate about the use of non-use of the standby switch. I did a ‘net search and got to some electronic engineering papers that explained why we guitarists need not worry about having the tubes warm before applying full voltage.
    As for going to standby for breaks, imho, the tubes maintain their sound better when they are not just warm but fully are heated by the plate dissipation.
    Merlin B. Is not the only person who has pointed out the issues concerning the use the decision not to use a standby switch. Hartley Peavey has an article about it. I will use a standby switch to change speaker connections or to change a tube, but I do not worry about using that standby switch for warming an amp up or for shutting it off.

dan40, Torren61 and D'tar like this.
  3. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

I realize the latest versions sport the standby. The originals did not. The now useless ground switch has been replaced with, IMO, a useless standby switch. Merely to fill an empty hole perhaps? Use it as you see fit. You will likely never know exactly when why or how your tubes will fail, just know they will. Have fun and enjoy your tweed deluxe. Fun amps...... I'm going to go enjoy mine for an hour or so.... no standby.... no ground switch. Pure rock n roll!!!

Jared Purdy likes this.
  4. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

IMG_1200.JPG

Original '56 Deluxe does not have a standby, it had a ground lift switch. Go figure.

5. Jared Purdy

It is a fabulous amp. It seems to capture the essence of what alchemy means. So many amazing tones, from something so seemingly simple.

Most people here have said to flip the stand by switch permanently to on, and then when I want to play the amp, just flip the power switch to on. Will do. Ya, it needs no effects.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That ‘ground’ switch is a polarity switch. If you did not have one of those back in the two-wire days, you had to flip the plug at the wall in order to get correct AC polarity. I was taught to hear when that polarity was incorrect.

Preacher likes this.
  7. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Yep, you’re good- just leave it permanently in the on position just like you said.

When I rebuilt my 5e3 last year I left the standby switch out entirely and wired the ht directly from the rectifier to b+1. There’s a dummy switch in there that’s not wired to anything just to plug the hole in the chassis. At least 10 hours a week for a year and no problems (knock on wood)!

Have fun! My new favorite setting is Es-335 straight in, channels jumped, 10-10-10, no attenuator. It actually does a pretty good Marshall impression!

Jared Purdy likes this.
  8. Jared Purdy

Those are LOUD settings! There are few times I'd be able to do that, though I have a couple of times.

9. brown2bob

brown2bob TDPRI Member

WHAT DID YOU SAY?... ;)

Jared Purdy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.