1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

57' Deluxe (5E3) in standy modę...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jared Purdy, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

For those who know more than I on this subject, is there a recommended time limit to leave this amp on stand by before completely powering it off? Thanks. jp

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Wally likes this.
  2. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Torren61, Tele Slacker, Wally and 4 others like this.
  3. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

There does not come any harm for tube amp if you turn power off immediately after switching standby to standby. I often switch power off leaving standby on because then capacitors deplete faster.

4. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

57 deluxe has standby?:rolleyes:

5. mojek

mojek Tele-Meister

Tubes anodes are happier without that stand-by kick. Leave the slower B+ voltage increase on 5Y3 and use just on/off switch with stand-by always on;-)

6. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

What is the advantage of the caps depleting in 5 seconds rather than 6?

Or the volume to turn it down when not in use.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  7. mojek

mojek Tele-Meister

Deluxe is so quiet, that turning down volume on your guitar would also do the job;)

Torren61 and Jared Purdy like this.
  8. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

On most of my builds I have multiple RC filters and if I have installed standby switch between them that depletes all capacitors.

My reply also address that it does not matter how switches are turned off.

9. printer2

While playing your amp flick the power switch off while playing. You will find the amp will use up most of the voltage on the caps. What is remaining is of little consequence. There is no reason to worry about depleting the caps unless you are sticking your hands in the amp.

Fuelish, Jared Purdy and King Fan like this.
  10. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You’re right, when I said standby is useless and possibly harmful (read the Merlin link) I shoulda said don’t use it, just leave it *on.*

Torren61, mojek and Jared Purdy like this.
  11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I remember the first 8088 computer we had in school. There was a switch, to power down, and there was also a power off mode. The monitor also had a separate power switch. Some of the EE's hated that we'd power the CPU off, without using the power down mode, and before powering down the monitor, because of the momentary zig-zag of visual signal loss, dancing across the monitor. A debate broke out amongst the sparkies, with defenses like, "see that chaotic lines destructively going across the screen? That's damage to the components", and replies like, "that's there whether you see it or not?, and "no its not, if you use the power down correctly, so there's no load on the..." and so on. They nearly came to blows, lol. In the end, pretty sure everyone took the path of least resistance, and flipped the single switch, and dashed off to the next class. I don't recall ever having a single failure thru out the entire lab, or either lab, probably 40+ computers. They were obsolete long before anybody could ever collect actual evidence.

I use the standby per Fender's instructions.

"STANDBY SWITCH: Disables speaker output while power is on. To extend tube life, leave switch in STANDBY position for first 60 seconds after turning POWER (C) on. Instead of turning amp off during short breaks, set switch to STANDBY position to further extend tube life and to avoid tube-warmup delay when resuming play."

I notice the tubes remain warm but cooler during the break. Pretty sure work ~ temperature ~ life.

You're question is pretty complicated, if you reaaalllly want to know the accurate answer. Because, like a light bulb, the milliseconds transient of the initial powering up is indeed more destructive than minutes of steady state operation. I'm going to guess, its on the order of 10000 to 1, where 10000 seconds is equal to the same damage as one cycling. That's about 2.5 hrs. Complete guess here, but based on some similar wear and MTBF data on other components. A better guess might be to measure the temperatures with and without the standby mode, and do a similar ratio of tube life.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Jared Purdy likes this.
  12. Jared Purdy

Yep.

13. Jared Purdy

Thanks for all the replies. From now on, I'll leave standby on, and just use the off/on switch. I've read on this forum that people routinely leave their Princeton Reverb's on all day, or at least for hours. That's why I was asking. I realize that the circuits between the two are quite different, but I'm also not an amp tech, by any measure.

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

Thats what I have tried to say that it is perfectly safe to do or immediately after switching to Standby what OP was wondering.

Playing is not needed to deplete capacitors although it might do it second faster but naturally we can hear sound getting quiet if loudspeaker is connected. I often use resistor in place of loudspeaker when I am in a phase I need to stick my hands to amp.

I need to warn not trust that method because usually electrolyts do not deplete completely leaving standby On. Obviously because bias/coupling capacitors are proportionally bigger and then power tubes quit conducting so it is good practice to measure that there is not too much energy left. I have measured about 50V...100V which then deplete slower to resistor which amps should have.

15. printer2

Meant to play through it in order to hear the amp is using the precious electrons up. As long as bias current is flowing no playing needed.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah I never leave my cathode biased amps on for longer than a few minutes away from playing, because I read a few places that they are sort of running flat out with no input signal. Not for argument just what I do.

I also don't depend on my amps getting extra warm to sound good, they just sound good right away.
    Everything stays plugged in so I turn on the amp, grab the guitar, and wait for sound.

I'm not shutting them off and on to take a break but might run them three times in a day, not left on for hours unused.
    Only shut off standby to listen to a playback.

17. telemnemonics

What the heck does he know?

He says old wives tell us amp tech stuff and voltages are ghastly!

18. telemnemonics

Fender is Dooooooooooooomed!

19. Jared Purdy

? I doubt that very much. You being facetious?

telemnemonics likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

Joking about gear chat dismay over Fender doing everything wrong/ standby switches/ vintage correct/ hand wiring/ hand wringing etc etc.

JDRNoPro, stevemc and Jared Purdy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.