'57 CUSTOM DELUXE™ vs '64 CUSTOM DELUXE REVERB®

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tele Plucker, May 15, 2019.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Can't choose for you, but I do own a '64 CDR and also a Champ clone (the later I'm sure still isn't close to the sound of a proper '57 Custom deluxe). I absolutely love the clean tones of the '64 and I've used it for a few gigs now and many rehearsals.

I never seem to be able to get it much over 4 on the CDR even playing with an acoustic drummer, so I don't get close to using up it's headroom. For dirt I use an Xotic SL drive which sounds close enough in a band situation for the Marshall dirt sound when I want it, but I don't tend to use any other pedals with it.

The Champ clone is a completely different device and getting natural overdrive from it is much easier (as I would imagine the '57 CD would be). So I'm sure it's more a matter of what you want from your next amp and whether you are happy to use pedals for dirt or prefer an over-driven amp (and can run it high enough to achieve that sound).

Of course the obvious answer is to get both. ;):D

2. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker TDPRI Member

Hey All,

Now that I see more comments coming in, I have to interject another fly in the ointment...so to speak.

As mentioned at the onset of this post, in recent times my amp has been a Blues Jr. But.....I failed to mention that I pretty much always using a compressor pedal. For years it was a 70’s vintage Dyna-Comp. These days it’s a Tone Press. Very nice transparent pedal, and it does tame the overdriving of the Blues Jr.

So, do any of you use compression, and if so, do you find that it takes the over drive as I have alluded to, and would that change anyone’s thought of the ‘57 Custom Deluxe breaking upmtoomsoon?

Thanks

‘64 AVRI Fender Telecaster | vintage blonde
    and 2 recently self built T style part-scasters
    60’s Blackface Twin | too damned heavy
    ‘59 Champ | lovely piece
    and of course, the Blues Jr

3. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

Thanks so much for the input. The '64 HW Custom Deluxe Reverb is at the top of my list.

4. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

If you put a 12AY7 in V1 you will get more headroom and less gain
    The problem with "will it be loud enough/clean enough" really depends on your band and particularly your drummer.
    If you are using a Blues Jr. now, that's about 15 watts
    Most people on forums will tell you that isn't enough power for a group situation. I don't agree, but if we play a big venue the amps will be miked anyway. 15 watts should be plenty for club work unless your drummer thinks he's John Bonham.
    As you know, the '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb is a Mid-scooped Blackface amp. I think Blackface amps sound great for certain things. If I'm playing Chicago Electric Blues I would prefer the '57 custom Deluxe hands down.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.