'57 CUSTOM DELUXE™ vs '64 CUSTOM DELUXE REVERB®

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tele Plucker, May 15, 2019.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Can't choose for you, but I do own a '64 CDR and also a Champ clone (the later I'm sure still isn't close to the sound of a proper '57 Custom deluxe). I absolutely love the clean tones of the '64 and I've used it for a few gigs now and many rehearsals.

I never seem to be able to get it much over 4 on the CDR even playing with an acoustic drummer, so I don't get close to using up it's headroom. For dirt I use an Xotic SL drive which sounds close enough in a band situation for the Marshall dirt sound when I want it, but I don't tend to use any other pedals with it.

The Champ clone is a completely different device and getting natural overdrive from it is much easier (as I would imagine the '57 CD would be). So I'm sure it's more a matter of what you want from your next amp and whether you are happy to use pedals for dirt or prefer an over-driven amp (and can run it high enough to achieve that sound).

Of course the obvious answer is to get both. ;):D

2. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

Hey All,

Now that I see more comments coming in, I have to interject another fly in the ointment...so to speak.

As mentioned at the onset of this post, in recent times my amp has been a Blues Jr. But.....I failed to mention that I pretty much always using a compressor pedal. For years it was a 70’s vintage Dyna-Comp. These days it’s a Tone Press. Very nice transparent pedal, and it does tame the overdriving of the Blues Jr.

So, do any of you use compression, and if so, do you find that it takes the over drive as I have alluded to, and would that change anyone’s thought of the ‘57 Custom Deluxe breaking upmtoomsoon?

Thanks

‘64 AVRI Fender Telecaster | vintage blonde
    and 2 recently self built T style part-scasters
    60’s Blackface Twin | too damned heavy
    ‘59 Champ | lovely piece
    and of course, the Blues Jr

3. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

Thanks so much for the input. The '64 HW Custom Deluxe Reverb is at the top of my list.

4. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    If you put a 12AY7 in V1 you will get more headroom and less gain
    The problem with "will it be loud enough/clean enough" really depends on your band and particularly your drummer.
    If you are using a Blues Jr. now, that's about 15 watts
    Most people on forums will tell you that isn't enough power for a group situation. I don't agree, but if we play a big venue the amps will be miked anyway. 15 watts should be plenty for club work unless your drummer thinks he's John Bonham.
    As you know, the '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb is a Mid-scooped Blackface amp. I think Blackface amps sound great for certain things. If I'm playing Chicago Electric Blues I would prefer the '57 custom Deluxe hands down.

5. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

I have a 57 custom deluxe. With a strat there is some clean, not a ton but it’s great. There is a lot of clean with alittle hair on it though and that’s what I like best. It’s clean but I get compression and bite when I dig in. It’s loud but not unusable at home. I don’t get to crank it often but I really enjoy getting some of the benefit of the tubes starting to work at normal volumes. 12ay7 is your friend and I think it’s best to have low output pickups. I don’t think the tweed deluxe is a one trick pony if your the kind of player that likes to use the volume and tone pots on your guitar. I think it’s loud enough to gig with and is a classic rock machine

This being said in the future I want to get some kind of fender blackface because once you have one you will want the other at some point. They compliment each other so well. I have never played the 64 and I assume it’s awesome however, it’s getting close to the ballpark of the price of a vintage deluxe reverb.

If you like getting your gain and tone from the guitar knobs - deluxe

If you want the reverb and are more prone to using pedals - 64

At some point in your life get both

Good luck !

6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I always tried to be The Voice of Reason. That often makes me The Leader of the Opposition or just plain nuckin' futz. After all, when everyone is crazy except me what do you suppose is really goin' on?

I can't believe the following the tweed Deluxe has. I can't believe Fender builds their own version when the aftermarket has already saturated the market with clones.

I'm responsible for my own contribution to the clone population. Musicians seem to like 'em. I'm glad I built a herd of them. It's all steps on The Path.

Having said that, a (more or less) stock tweed Deluxe is a wretched little amp. It's too loud to play Cinnamon Girl in my bedroom. It's not loud enough to play Rockin' The Free World live. It sure doesn't play clean at any appreciable volume. My absolute pet peeve: With its seething overdrive it sounds like it should sustain for weeks. It doesn't.

R.I.P. Pete Steele.

I used to see those guys at CBGB when they were Carnivore.

Anyway, I wouldn't (female canine) about this unless I had a solution. Fender uses trick pots with a wonky taper to fool musicians into thinkin' their thing has more clean headroom than it does. "Wow! It stays sorta clean up to "5"!"

Use your ears instead of your eyes.

It's sorta like the old HRD that went from zero to Nuclear Death with a tiny nudge of the volume.

Hey! You asked for it! "What is the best tweed Deluxe without deviating from the stock circuit?"

I used to make small tweeds play clean all the way up. Musicians can't believe it. Imagine! A tweed Deluxe that will play clean with the volume most of the way up. That's with humbuckers, guitar volume all the way up.

Which brings us to the Custom Deluxe Reverb. It's kinda large. The good news is they're available used for a hundo more than a used '68 Custom PRRI.

Oh, wait. That's the one with the reverb jumpered so both channels have reverb. Leo didn't do that on original Deluxe Reverbs likely because it sums all of the tube noise. These tend to be noisy SOBs.

Wanna make it really "Custom"? How 'bout onboard channel switching so the unused channel isn't hissing into the channel you're using?

If it were up to me I'd just say "neither.". Saw Arlen Roth with his two vintage Princeton Reverbs the other night. He uses a '67 and a '68. They may need attention 'cuz they hummmmm. Might have been the venue...

They get the job done.

'68 Custom PRRI plus the Blues Junior the OP already owns is like havin' a Poor Man's Princeton Reverb and another Less Poor Man's Princeton Reverb.

Maybe a Homeless Man's Princeton Reverb? ;)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  7. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

Hey muchxs, a lot of verbiage coming this way. So much so that I had to go to the beginning to see exactly what my question was.

I would think many of the people using this site are well aware of the clone business out there. I know that I am. So the question was about actual Fender amps......you know, the one’s that Fender makes. But thanks for the insight on the innards of the amps. As Johnny Carson would have said.....I did not know that.

Good day

ver·bi·age
    /ˈvərbēij/
    noun
    1. 1.
      speech or writing that uses too many words or excessively technical expressions.

8. Retired Schmuck

Retired Schmuck TDPRI Member

64 Custom Deluxe Reverb amp is 20 watts. It's modded by Custom Shop. Edge Deluxe 12 watts (based on 57 Deluxe) is modded by Custom Shop. Both are hefty prices, both are great. I went for the 64 Custom Deluxe. I like bass and treble controls. You can jumper cable the Normal channel and Bright Channel to get a fatter thicker tone. Watch John Bohlinger demo that.

The 64 Deluxe is few more watts than the 57 Deluxe. You can jam with a drummer without having to max out the 64 amp. The Edge has a sound crew to mic his amp through the PA so the 12 watt amp gets a volume boost that way. Winter is here ... If you were thinking about the 57 Deluxe style then consider the Edge Deluxe Modified circuitry for tighter bass response and Custom volume pot taper.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.