1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

57 Champ Reissue Champ or 68 Vibro Champ Reissue

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tmslider, Jan 21, 2021.

1. tmslider

tmslider TDPRI Member

Hello,
    I am new to the site but I have read your posts for years due the the wealth of information here. Many thanks! I am thinking about a 57 Champ Reissue or the soon to be offered 68 Vibro Champ. I play mostly fingerstyle, Chicago and slide blues and I no longer play out. I love clean tones, tremelo and reverb but I was wondering if the Champ with a pedal would be best...I have a Princeton reissue tweed which I love. That stays in my "studio" (garage). Is there much of a difference in tone? I know the VC has a 10 inch speaker....
    Looking for a complimentary amp and I do not play at high volumes
    I appreciate your perspective
    Thank you

GuitarGeorge likes this.
  2. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

If you already have a Tweed Princeton I'd personally go for the Vibro Champ Reverb. Particularly if you like clean tones, trem and reverb.

PoorNoodle and Boreas like this.
  3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Yup - with what you describe it's VC all the way.

Boreas and JuneauMike like this.
  4. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

I think OP is saying he has the Tweed Princeton Reverb reissue, correct?

With that in mind, the vibro champ reverb feels a bit...redundant...I personally kind of wish the new vibro champ came with an 8" speaker. I love the way the 8" sounds in my tweed champ, very focused and I think it loses some of that when I plug it into larger speakers.

I would try to play both in person...

rjtwangs likes this.
  5. corliss1

Ooooh good call - that likely is a PRRI. If so, then the Champ :D

6. tmslider

tmslider TDPRI Member

Thank you, yes it is a 65 Princeton Reissue which sounds like a blackface, Cannabis Rex Trex speaker

7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

If you want digital reverb, and/or vibrato, then the choice is obvious. Very big difference in features between those two amp; there shouldn't be much hemming and hawing.

Boreas likes this.
  8. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I looked at the VC circuit once upon a time but don't remember it being vastly different than the 5F1. If that is the case, VibroChamp would be great.

When I turn the trem circuit down on my 5F11 Vibrolux theoretically I'm just playing through a Harvard. I'd assume the Vibro would give you both of those worlds as well. And it's got an awesome trem circuit as well. YMMV.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Boreas likes this.
  9. tmslider

tmslider TDPRI Member

Thanks all. Vibro Champ it will be

darkwaters likes this.
  10. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I have a 57 Custom Champ, a 5F1 Champ clone and a SFVC. I think my "tweed" champs sound quite a bit different than my Vibro Champ. I also have a 65 PRRI, which I really like.

OP: I really don't think that you would gain much different with the new 68 Custom VCR over the 65 PRRI you already have. I find my PRRI sounds good at low volumes, and truthfully, I like it much better than my SFVC. To add variety, I would recommend the 57 Custom Champ. I know some people say it is too expensive, not like originals, clones are better, etc etc. However, I have owned a lot of amps and am really impressed with my 57 Custom and like it far better than my 5F1 clone. Bests tone IMO is mid-dial right where you can have OD or clean simply by your pick attack. These simple circuit Champs are so much fun! I use a reverb pedal some too and it is surprisingly big and full sounding, despite small cab, 5 (loud) watts and 8" speaker.

Whatever you decide, shop around if buying new and seek discount. I can always find someone who will reduce by 15% (although perhaps not with the new 68 VCR, as it is just being released).

11. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

if you lift the tone stack on the vibrochamp it more or less becomes a tweed champ. should be a cheap mod for a tech to put on a switch.

have your cake and eat it too.

12. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

There is no new Vibro Champ, it is something else. They have balls calling it a Vibro Champ. Nothing Leo intended. But the 2nd you increase the size of the speaker and ad reverb, it becomes something else. Question, what do you call a Princeton reverb with a 12 inch speaker? NOT a Princeton reverb.

EspyHop, rjtwangs, Alter and 2 others like this.
  13. corliss1

Depending how the amp is built and how the reverb is built-in, it may not be possible to do a tone-stack lift mod on the new version.

14. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, maybe the safe purchase is a 5F1 Champ. It's definitely a great amp, and I'd assume given how it is marketed that Fender will hold close to the original idea (and resist the urge to include a digital effects bank and a toaster oven in the back).

darkwaters likes this.
  15. tmslider

tmslider TDPRI Member

Thanks

16. tmslider

tmslider TDPRI Member

Thanks all. After reading your posts and deliberation I ordered the 57 Champ to compliment my Princeton Reverb Reissue. Got a Sweetwater return with the full warranty for $869. Should give me the Ry Cooder AND Keith tone. Thanks again!

corliss1 likes this.
  17. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I'm laughing. I have a PRRI in the center, an ECVC on the left and a SFVC on the right. THe adjacent wall has my 57 Champ. I am testing tubes I am selling to a friend who has a 57 champ in my 57 champ. Can't wait to get started.

tmslider, I recommend some old stock of your choice tubes. But, if it does have JJ's,if you have a looper make a loop of strumms, some low & high notes, a few 2nds of noodling and snap that E bass string. Let it go at a decent volume for a few hours and open that speaker up. It is a fine speaker. ENJOY.

18. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

congrats tmslider:). I really think the 57 Custom Champ is a good choice and will compliment your PRRI nicely and give you a wide array of quality Fender tone. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine! Try a little reverb with it too!

Having said that and, if by any chance there are any issues with that "return" send it back and get one with no issues - too expensive to do otherwise. And, I was able to get 15% off on a new one at Sweetwater......just so you know - and you have to ask.... Not trying to raise any doubts tho - probably all will be fine!

19. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

and @ teleman 1 - my 57 Custom Champ sounded really great straight out of the box, so I don't think tube rolling is really necessary. But, it's a lot of fun with these Champs. With only one preamp tube and one power tube, pretty cheap and easy to try different and NOS tubes. Plus, you can really hear. any differences in individual tubes. I have settled on NOS GE 6V6GT, GE 12AY7, and Jan Philips 5Y3 in my 57CC, but as I said, tubes it came with sounded great too.

20. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

Exactly my thought.

The new amp is more like a Princeton Reverb Light than a Vibro-Champ.

teleman1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.