$5500 1953 Telecaster

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Micarta, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Micarta

Micarta TDPRI Member

2. wilstan

wilstan NEW MEMBER!

Expensive Copy

The vintage neck is wrong and not made by Fender. The 12th dot spacing is totally off.
    By '53, Fender used phillips screw heads on everything. Body looks too clean even for a refin. Electronics are not exposed probably for a reason. No written dates or signs of dates on body or neck. Parts visible are most lightly relic parts.
    Guitar has perfect COPY written all over it. If the telecaster was a real '53 Blackguard, parts would be exposed to clearly show originality.
    Save your money!!!!

3. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

Well, if it's a real "Blackguard" it doesn't have a 1953 neck at least. It has the 1950-52 12th fret dot markers narrow spacing. In late 1952 Fender changed to a wider spacing (just below the A and B strings).

The finish looks like a refin, based on the little amount of wear (or it's a reissue body). An original '53 Tele in that condition would bring maybe ten times as much.

4. wilstan

wilstan NEW MEMBER!

12t Dot Spacing

Look carefully at the 12th dot spacing markers. They are not even evenly spaced or centered. Looks more centered in the upper neck than the lower neck.

5. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

The headstock logo is crooked as well, it looks like the waterslide ripped and someone tried to align "Telecaster" and didn't do a very good job.

6. Robert.V

Robert.V Tele-Meister

7. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

I want to see more and ask some questions, but I'm not so quick to dismiss it. I have a refin 1952 tele, and it doesn't look much different than this.

Things I don't like:

As pointed out, the 12th dots are narrow, indicating a 52 or earlier. However, this could be a 52 neck on a 53 body.

The borders of the headstock loo are too bold to be original. But I the guitar could be a total refin, and that could justify the decal.

All the screws are slot heads. Slot heads screws were found on certain parts of the guitar for years (they didn't all magically disappear in 52) but by 53 there should be a lot of phillips screws.

No pictures of the guts, and a very vague description. If this is original, it is a total refin and the owner hasn't disclosed that.

What I do like:

It has a router's hump and an oversized neck pocket. These things can be duplicated by most body makers but it tells me something; if this was a fake, and the faker knew to search out those details in a body, he surely would have known to get a neck with the properly spaced 12th fret dots if he planned on calling his creation a 53.

If this is a total refin, the price isn't bad. I bought my refin 52 in 2004 for $4500. Not long before that, a vintage refin could be had for less than a custom shop vintage reissue. This to me represents an honest price if the guitar is honest. The description isn't honest, so that's red flag one, but I'm not ready to call it a fake.

8. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

can't believe someone paid 5 half k without seeing the pots ,dates etc i hope it is a nice guitar and the buyer is blissfully unaware of what they just bought

9. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

Oh.... AND Welcome the new guys!!

10. Micarta

Micarta TDPRI Member

Thanks a lot for your expert opinions on this matter, guys. My ‘06 Nocaster NOS is at least a forthright replica and priced accordingly. You really need to know your stuff when you go shopping for pricey originals.

11. LakeShow

LakeShow TDPRI Member

that thing looks perfect, how can the finish still look like that being that old? refinished body maybe?

12. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

That's right. The 50's Fenders are worth so much that there are many fakes. One fake part or changed part can devalue a guitar quite a bit. I have heard that there are replicas that can even fool the experts.

You have an excellent guitar in the CS Nocaster. Without spending crazy money, that is as good as it gets. IMO

It's so difficult to buy vintage these days. You better be sure of what you are buying. Like I say, a vintage guitar is not only a guitar, it's a piece of history. And history costs extra.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  13. dakotaplaysgtar

dakotaplaysgtar Tele-Meister

something ain't right there...

14. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

15. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Definitely one for the rogues gallery.....and 54 bids. Ebay is always entertaining.

16. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

one other thing i have noticed on that neck is it has had a really poor nut replacement the spacing is awful the high E string is practically off the board picture (2) picture (3) headstock you can see the spacing on the nut is off pluss the nut looks really fat for some reason

17. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

I always throw 5k to a seller with 13 sales and 100% feedback.

18. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Since he never claimed the guitar was over 50 years old, or had been authenticated...

It doesn't look like an ancient finish on the body, or headstock to me, either.

19. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Yeah, and that pristine leather guitar strap is 60 years old, too. That guitar is worth maybe $500.

The guy could have at least taken a photo without the bridge cover on. The description is rather vague, and there are no photos that reveal anything.

20. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Those frets look really big.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.