55 Tweed Deluxe Suit My 52 Tele?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by aadvark, Apr 30, 2019.

1. aadvark

aadvark TDPRI Member

Seller says: "This a genuine Tweed fender that is original and has been checked over by Frank from FM Audio in Adelaide.He replaced a couple of caps and it sounds as good as its reputation"

Chunkocaster, Skamania and thegeezer like this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sadly and oddly enough we seldom see original Tweeds in guitar shops in the US, aside from specialty vintage shops.
    The first time I saw a Deluxe for sale I plunked down the $500 and took it home.
    A year or so later I sold it to the second guy who saw it for sale.
    Not all legends suit us, despite being a legend.

Another shop I was a guitar tech at got in a 5e3 with ratty tweed, and the owner got it recovered right away, before selling it. That was sad too IMO, but it was his amp to alter.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  3. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

Ain’t no big thang!

I have just noticed as time goes by that, understandably, accurate information gets lost and I’m sure the details will get even fuzzier as the years pass. I just stick my nose in now and then when I might be able to clarify something.

Hatfield92 and telemnemonics like this.
  4. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

Honestly, I last saw and played his ES347 through that amp about 2013, the last time I was in Scottsdale. We sorted out the SN at the time on a website somewhere...couldn’t tell you the actual number now. It’s 2000 miles away, unfortunately.

5. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

To the OP:

Hadn’t fired up my ‘54 Deluxe since our most recent gig Saturday night. Your post inspired me a bit.

Spent a couple hours with it here at home this morning. First, with my Tele, then my Strat and then I dug my ‘70 Les Paul out and gave it a turn. Anything sounds good through these things.

You need one to run that ‘52 into. Just sayin’.

6. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Ah, if I only lived Stateside … I’m in Europe, and tweed deluxes are rare and totally overpriced. I’ve only tried a couple old ones on my trip to NY. On both I could try teles (nondescript, but still teles) and 125s. Sublime. Out of my price range, too ;)

But yes, I’m saying it’s a match made in heaven if the amp is all it should be!

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    aadvark likes this.
  7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Yep very familiar with the Bassmaster - I had a cathode biased BM 20 - and Playmaster 6DQ6 amps my guitar teacher had the kit build of the latter. I've built a couple of 5E3s. Very different amps - the 6DQ6 tubes have a peculiar EL34-with-edge tone that's quite unique.

aadvark likes this.
  8. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

Yes! Tweed Deluxes are great!
    My '60 Tweed Deluxe is my go to amp. And it sounds great with Teles! Both Studio and live.

aadvark and thegeezer like this.
  9. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

57 tweed deluxe video sample.

i could only get $1850 for it even though the reissues retailed for $3500 at the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. mipstoo

mipstoo TDPRI Member

Good amp and pairs well with any guitar. Most tweeds do.
    I have sold my 5e3 because I prefer the 6e3 (brown deluxe) but I still have my 5g9 (tweed Tremolux).
    If for studio use alone, I’d look at anything from 15w down, so the Deluxe being the max. A Princeton or even a Champ would also work.

dpnelson likes this.
  11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I know Frank, He's a good guy and will probably fill you in on the amp if you give him a call.
    Frank is the go to guy in S.A. for amp repairs, warranty, service etc and has been for decades. If the amp is running a stepdown transformer the guy probably imported it.

Depending on the price you should look at the listings in America to see how it compares. No point in overpaying just because the amp is in the country. You could just as easily import one yourself. I've imported 5 amps over the years and it's worked out much cheaper than buying local. Half the price every time and using a stepdown transformer is not a problem other than lugging the extra weight around. Allow around 15% on top for the slavemasters.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    2 Headed Goat and aadvark like this.
  12. dpnelson

dpnelson TDPRI Member

I have a 1956 tweed deluxe. It is my main gigging app. Great amp for the aging. Light weight, good sound for what I play. Not loud enough for the big gigs, but plenty good for smaller rooms. Has a nice grit when you’re able to turn it way up.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  13. LooneyTubes

LooneyTubes TDPRI Member

If it has an original speaker, you might replace it and store before playing loud.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.