54 U neck (and comparisons)

stratman82

Tele-Meister
Hi all, currently swooning over a 1955 CS tele with the 54 U profile. Its spec'd at 0.940" 1st fret and 0.970" 12th fret. Im wondering if that's going to be overly thick up near the nut.

My favourite profile so far was on a Pure Vintage 52 tele reissue from 2017. I never measured the neck with callipers but am guessing it was a bit slimmer at the 1st and possibly a bit thicker at the 12th vs the 54 U. I sold it to release funds pre-COVID.

Any experience with the 54 U? It seems less common, locally at least, than the 57 soft V and 10/56V. Id be ordering online so no opportunity to try it out.

Anyone had a chance to measure the new AVII 51 U neck?

pbenn

Tele-Afflicted
There's a difference between 10/56 V and 57 soft V?
Would have expected early 57 to be soft and late 57 to be smaller and sharper V.

Telepi

Friend of Leo's
I had a 55 CS Sunburst Tele with a 54 neck for a while. It felt just like a CS Nocaster I had. The neck was huge. The .94 at the first fret is spot on. Can't say that I really liked it and probably why I moved both along. I have long fingers too. Yet, seem to gravitate toward something smaller

Wildwood has one that shows .89 at the first.

I've only seen a few of these on websites, but the grain patterns seem a bit weird to me compared to the older series. Maybe the Ash being used is different? I was hoping to see some NGD posts on these with reviews too. Spec. Wise, they seem nice. But something keeps holding me back on getting one.