54 Tele Neck Pickup

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by tports, Dec 7, 2019.

1. tports

tports TDPRI Member

I know this is going to start some controversy, but here is my dilemma: I have a refinished 1954 Black guard. Love the feel, the weight, the bridge pickup, almost everything about it except ... the neck pickup sounds weak and anemic and is not balanced with the bridge pickup. I was flirting with the notion of a replacement pickup, but for God's sake, it is a Blackguard and that seems inherently wrong. I would love to get more umph out of it and not have to be drastically adjusting the volume when I switch pickups, which I do frequently. I also wish it did not sound quite so dull and muffled. I am more of a player than a collector, but I don't want to do anything that will severely diminish the value of the guitar. Any advice?

2. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

It’s been refinished, the pickups have been desoldered in the past. I don’t see why you should not swap the pickup for what you like. Just keep the old pickup in a box and don’t lose it.

3. telecasterbill

telecasterbill TDPRI Member

I have a '54 blackguard, and the neck pickup was dead, so I had Lindy Fralin rewind it. As a bonus, it now works in the in-between position. But it still sounds a bit dull, the cover is nickel plated brass and weighs about 5 pounds, that kills the high somewhat. I had a '61 Custom Telecaster with a lighter cover and it sounded a lot clearer, as did a Fralin replica.

In your case, I would get a nice replica in proper phase and put the original aside as Lowcaster said.

Fretting out, SheldonP, Jim W and 2 others like this.
  4. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

What is the Kohm reading on the neck pickup? Sounds like it may have a short somewhere, might need rewound.

5. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's the way they were wired back then ...a good tech can convert it to modern spec ...

6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Call Rob Distefano at Cavalier Pickups and explain to him everything you have said here.
    He’s a legendary pickup winder and he will steer you toward how you should solve your problem.
    Just Google Cavalier Pickups, he’s easy to talk to, you will learn something.
    Good luck,

7. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Don Mare winds a '54 spec, brass cover I think? middle position sounds phenomenal

baiff likes this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Shall we assume you already raised the neck pickup as high as reasonable and the bridge pickup isn't right up at the strings?

It's a basic fact that the old brass covers dull the tone, but if the pickup is otherwise healthy it should have volume.
    I'd agree that it's worth putting in a pickup you like, but I never use the neck pickup anyhow and instead play Esquires.
    Could just leave it there and not use it.
    Could get it rewound.
    Could have a nickel silver cover put on it when getting it rewound.
    First world problems are a bear...

Fretting out likes this.
  9. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

If it needs a rewind then do it. A crappy sounding pickup is of no use to anyone. If it's wound right it can be loud and bright. The neck pickup on my 55 is as loud as my bridge pickup and it's as bright as a strats neck pickup

BopT likes this.
  10. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

charging the mags keep the pickup stock in a way

11. tports

tports TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone for all your responses. Lots of useful ideas for me to digest. Very much appreciated.

12. mojavedesert

mojavedesert TDPRI Member

Yes, recharge the magnets, easy and doesn't change the "original" component.

BopT likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.