53 years ago this morning - Hendrix performed at Woodstock

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
I just finished watching the directors cut last night, for the 1000th time probably over the decades ;) Funny thing is I didn't realize I was watching it during the anniversary until after I'd watched it! LOL!!! Kinda strange that I'd just decide to watch it out of the blue... :oops:

Big_Bend

Poster Extraordinaire
I just finished watching the directors cut last night, for the 1000th time probably over the decades ;) Funny thing is I didn't realize I was watching it during the anniversary until after I'd watched it! LOL!!! Kinda strange that I'd just decide to watch it out of the blue... :oops:

Ya the classic Woodstock movie is outstanding, I'm sure most of us have seen it many times.

But this Woodstock documentary currently playing on Amazon Prime was made in 2019, its a wonderful behind the scenes look at what all happened, with many interviews and excellent stories.. I had never seen it before until tonight. Again, highly recommended if you get a chance to see it.

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
this impromptu jam just shows how much genious Hendrix had, on the fly and just go for it , the sound quality sucks but right in line with the tech of the day . one of my all time favorites

Ahmet Ertegan ( I hope i got that right ) president of atlantic records had the footage for woodstock for a lot of years and did not think it was worth any thing , after all who would want to see a movie about a rock concert ? so he sold it it for pennies , his self proclaimed biggest mistake ever .

Last edited:

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I was only 12, but I wanted to go more than I can express.
Alas, Mom and Dad said NO!
I was already a rabid fan of most of the acts.
Too young!
A problem I’ll never have again!;)
I was in Greenwich Village about a week or so earlier for a week or so. I was 19. I was in a music store and tickets were on sale for $50 (?); can't remember exactly the price. In some ways I'm glad I didn't go. I may have been immortalized on film doing something crazy.

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I was in Greenwich Village about a week or so earlier for a week or so. I was 19. I was in a music store and tickets were on sale for $50 (?); can't remember exactly the price. In some ways I'm glad I didn't go. I may have been immortalized on film doing something crazy.
like doing chin ups off the landing gear of a helicopter?

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Ya the classic Woodstock movie is outstanding, I'm sure most of us have seen it many times.

But this Woodstock documentary currently playing on Amazon Prime was made in 2019, its a wonderful behind the scenes look at what all happened, with many interviews and excellent stories.. I had never seen it before until tonight. Again, highly recommended if you get a chance to see it.

Thanks for letting me know about that! I wasn't aware of this one, and will definitely have to check it out.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire

I just read somewhere that the tickets were 15-18 dollars, depending on if you were staying 1,2, or 3 days. Yeah... I don't think I would've enjoyed being there much due to all the mess and lack of essentials etc., plus once you got in there you were pretty much trapped until the roads were clear. I know one guy who told me that he and his buds didn't make it out of there until Tuesday (car and traffic problems), and they had had enough of it all by Saturday :lol: The rains really did it in for a lot of people, but there was little they could do but wait it out. One of the dudes lost his job because he didn't report to work on Monday :oops:

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I just read somewhere that the tickets were 15-18 dollars, depending on if you were staying 1,2, or 3 days. Yeah... I don't think I would've enjoyed being there much due to all the mess and lack of essentials etc., plus once you got in there you were pretty much trapped until the roads were clear. I know one guy who told me that he and his buds didn't make it out of there until Tuesday (car and traffic problems), and they had had enough of it all by Saturday :lol: The rains really did it in for a lot of people, but there was little they could do but wait it out. One of the dudes lost his job because he didn't report to work on Monday :oops:
Those may well have been the prices as I can't remember for sure. The rain really did it in for a lot of people. Judging by what I've seen, I don't think many people had a VW van, lol, or any shelter for that matter.

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
like doing chin ups off the landing gear of a helicopter?
Alright, alright, I'll come clean! Actually, I was a pretty low-key, short, wiry/skinny kid with a shaggy, but not overly long head of hair, who stayed out of trouble. I had tried pot a couple of times but found out that I did not like being high.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire

Hey man, just FYI but I watched that doc tonight. Great flick man. Some scenes I never saw before for sure, especially the small stage. I'd heard about it for years but never saw it until this doc. Appreciate the lead man!

BryMelvin

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Aug 18 1969, the 4th morning of the Woodstock Festival... and out came Hendrix who played this

And then the festival ended.

There is a great show on Amazon Prime about Woodstock, highly recommended.
How things can change! 53 years ago I was there. 50 years ago I was On Guam working on B52s Bombing Vietnam.

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
How things can change! 53 years ago I was there. 50 years ago I was On Guam working on B52s Bombing Vietnam.
For sure. My 19 year-old cousin, an American with dual citizenship, was into his fifth month with the 101 Airborne in Vietnam at the time of Woodstock. His mother, a Newfoundlander, married a US serviceman who was stationed at one of the US bases during WWII (and after) in Newfoundland. I've read that twenty-five thousand Newfoundland women married US servicemen.