53 Deluxe who's signature is this?

OahuClay

TDPRI Member
Looking for an expert amp historian who knows the old time signatures written on masking tape, who's signature is this in pic, built December of '53 near as I can tell, is a transition between 5C3 and 5D3 it appears due to first preamp tube being a 12AY7 instead of the 6SC7, been cleaning up someones Grandpa's amp ,amazingly it survived, had a 20 amp fuse in it and fortunately a bad power switch.It would be interesting to know the name of the person who soldered it up.

Attachments

• IMG_6149.jpg
    IMG_6149.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_6150.jpg
    IMG_6150.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_6148.jpg
    IMG_6148.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 138

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Tough one. Many of the sigs I've seen were originally in blue ink and have distinctive 'shapes' (Lupe, Rachel, Esme). But 1953 is delightfully early: I don't know who the potential candidates were then.

I don't see any blue left -- if it was blue -- and I'm not sure the 'shape' I'm seeing is even the original sig -- at first I thought it was a line of dirt. I made an amateur attempt to pull up an image -- not super helpful, but FWIW (click to enlarge):

sig.jpg

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
That signature is obviously in terrible shape. I am not familiar with the general ‘shape’ of that one. The longest signature I have seen in an old Fender amp is ‘Esmerelda’….but I cannot ‘see’ that in this much deteriorated example in this amp.

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Good point, @Wally. Esmerelda is a possibility there (I believe she also signed Esme in some cases). Was there a Tanya? Some longer name ending in 'a'? Does that signature actually end with an 'a'?

OK. Is there a list somewhere of the various assemblers / constructors? Maybe by year? With high-res examples of their signatures?

LOL, maybe with flying pigs to bring us a copy?

Seriously, unless you can do some x-ray diffraction, we may never know. OTOH, having the chunk of tape itself adds a lot. Nobody could fake an amp that old, but it's still cool.

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
There was an Esperanza, sometimes she signed Espy, but I’ve seen an Esperanza sig. Seems like her grandson or some other relative chimed in on a thread a while back…