1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'53 CNC build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ehawley, Aug 21, 2007.

1. rienk

rienk NEW MEMBER!

Hi Ed, I've been following your build for a while, and finally decided to come out of the closet and join up!
    Are you posting the drawings somewhere?
    I am looking forward to being able to view them.

I have some acquaintances who commercially build lots of electric guitars, and are coming out with a new hollow body replica - but I'd like to stick with a good old Tele to start with. I'm building acoustic guitars right now, but my son would like one of these too.

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

He used a microswitch (mechanical) attached on the motor stand just under the motor. It is actuated by a cam that is machined as of the pickup bobbin holder (shaft). Because he only wound at a max of 300 RPM, switch "bounce" apparently did not become an issue for him. I think the CUB counter he used also has an internal bounce suppression circuit.

It's described in one of the 3 (I think) pages that cover the pickup winds.

3. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Hi...Thanks all for checking out this build! I don't get here as often as I like, so I miss alot of members comments. I hope to retire soon so I will spend more time here building teles!..My 2424 guitars are all I'm building at the moment.
    Welcome Rienk to the forum. This is THE BEST run forum I've had the pleasure to belong to!..No kidding!
    My files are on page 22 of this thread if you have your prefs set to first to last...The only one you can view without cad software is the neck pdf. Autocad will work with the rest and any solid program will open the Parasolids file....I will have new neck files coming when I get the chance to sit and re-do the solids files. There are some issues with the old ones. I keep saying that I will get to it soon, but my granddaughter takes most of my "free time" up, so my apologies. One day soon!!!..lol.. Terry Downs excellent tele blueprint file actually used my 67 tele CMM to construct the drawing, so I would use that for the body.
    Have fun building!!!
    Cheers all and thanks for all your comments!
    ED

4. Italian Caster

Italian Caster TDPRI Member

hi Ed,

sorry for my english; I'll try to do my best; first of all want to say that you are a big Maestro like Ron kirn and Bukocaster51; for me you are the science of art in guitar building. hope one day to become like you! Would like to have some tip please for what concern a miter box for cut the fret slot; her some pictures I did; Want to be sure how to build by my self before trow away everythings![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. stringpro

stringpro NEW MEMBER!

Pin it

Just saw this old thread of yours !
    Wow !
    Yousa got some nice toys Big Hawse , not to mention some mad skills !
    Lovely work !
    I pinned all my threaded stops in the past but now I weld them in place if using a vintage style single action .
    Ed is that program still available ?[email protected]

6. 017_017

017_017 Friend of Leo's

Hi Ed,

Turns out the CNC machine I have access to can indeed cut deep enough. I have your Parasolid neck file which I am probably going to use, but would you be able to indicate what issues the neck file/design has?

I really appreciate the generosity you've shown freely distributing these files that must have taken you a long time to complete. I sometimes muck around creating 3D models in AutoCAD, and can attest to how long it can take to get something "perfect"!

Thanks again,
    Michael.

7. crossroads777

crossroads777 NEW MEMBER!

Hi there guys i have been looking for an active forum online..

i am building my own guitars I tried to get a decent CNC local business to cut my bodies with NOOO success...

I am trying to get some advice to get a new vertical / hand router

I am looking to get this for example - BOSCH-POF-1400 i heard good and bad about handy routers... any advice pls.. I am in a little hurry to get one soon since I don't have a budget for a CNC. I would love one.

I have done 2D and 3D of my bodies but i will have to go for the router.

advise please,
    Mike

8. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Hi Michael....If you look at the transition along one side of the neck, there is a twist between the fret side and contour side along the length. VERY small and doesn't really show up in the machining. BUT...I know it is there and it bothers me!!!...I can't figure out why it is there and have tried numerous times to remove it. I am doing a new neck file and will post it here. I have a new job..(I was going to retire..but friends of mine that own a business in Princeton heard and I am now working for them...most likely for 2 more years)...so time is very tight...heck ..I can't even work on my 2424 guitars! so watch for it here some time in the future. Thanks for your comments. I hope to be back here more often sometime soon!
    Cheers
    ED

9. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Ed. I saw that small twist in the solids file and also tried to fix it without much luck. Looking forward to the new file.

Robert

10. 017_017

017_017 Friend of Leo's

Ah, I see it. The twist seems to be caused by additional nodes on the lofted profiles (they're assymetrical), plus a "rogue" node roughly 2/3 down the fretboard edge near the nut on the high E side that is creating an indent:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I managed to fix the problem by redrawing both profiles and lofting them in AutoCAD, but I am unable to produce a Parasolid .X_T file (I am limited to .DWG/.DXF).

11. ducati955

ducati955 TDPRI Member

I am currently working on the neck model with Autodesk Inventor. Not quite finished yet.
    I do have the 3D model of the work Ed and Terry has done on the '52 Body if that will help any one. Also the G code on Mach 3 format for the body if anyone can use it.
    Sorry about not having the neck finished yet .. I will get there sooner or later
    Thanks
    Ken

12. spyderxxx

spyderxxx Tele-Meister

Post if you can. I need all the help I can get.

13. ducati955

ducati955 TDPRI Member

I do not have the correct permission to attach the model file or a zip version of the file.
    Any ideas? The Zip version is 894 KB. I can email the file if that will help.
    Thanks

14. ducati955

ducati955 TDPRI Member

Spyderxxx
    I have sent you an email with the file attached.
    Good Luck ;)

15. spyderxxx

spyderxxx Tele-Meister

Thanks Ken

16. mattve

mattve NEW MEMBER!

Hello Ed. Thanks for all you have shared with us.

I was hoping you might get around to adding the neck fixtures in dxf format to your files section (as well as the neck heel fixture)?
    -Matt

17. Byboth

Byboth NEW MEMBER!

Hello,

First of all, awsome build log! Great share :)

It seems like the models are no longer available to download from page 33-34. Could anyone be so kind to upload the files? (pref 3D models)

Merry christmas to all!

Byboth

18. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

19. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Still alive

Hey all!.....long time no see!...I'm still alive and kicking. I'm almost complete with the renovation of my new 2 story 1600 sf shop. The new CNC arrived and I should start building it in the next week! I'll reload all the files that are missing from my new website in the next few days! I'll post the address of the new site when it is complete. I'm planning on retiring in 2015 sometime so I'll be back here a lot!.....To all, have a happy and healthy New Year!!

20. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice to see you back Ed. Thanks again for those drawings! Happy Holidays. Retirement has been awesome!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.