1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'53 CNC build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ehawley, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Satane

Satane TDPRI Member

Thank you for your relpy.

I've already made it a whole polyline. For some reason autocad wouldn't do it automatically but i still got the problem with the radius. Since the endmill is 12 mm i think the neck radius is to small to fit when i run the cutter outside the Polyline. Also on the drawing there are 2 diffrent measures for the neck pocket? This is my first guitar build so please be patient with me :p

But i'll try to mixture with the speeds and feeds tomorrow.

2. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sure what you mean by 2 different measurements for the neck pocket. The Neck pocket is an angled cut from heel location toward the headstock. As far as the radius is concerned...A long 8mm (.315 inch) would be perfect to cut the outside shape of the body. A 6mm would be needed to finish the neck pocket because of the 2 radii at the heel locations. I think someone redid Terry's drawing in metric on this forum somewhere. That would be a good referance to use.
    Anything else, give me a holler!
    cheers
    ED

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  3. ducati955

ducati955 TDPRI Member

Satane,
    I have almost finished a 3D model for the body in Autodesk Inventor. You should be able
    to use any size end mill to cut the pockets... as long as the diameter is smaller than
    the radius required. The model is my work(the easy part), all the hard work to develop the
    print, verify the work are from Ed Hawley and Terry Downs. I hope I have not mucked up all the work they have contributed. I have begun trying to convert some drawings of the neck into a 3D model also.. but I am not progressing very well. What type of machine are you trying to post the G code to cut your body.. Maybe I can help in some way.
    Good luck
    Ken

4. edadmartin

edadmartin TDPRI Member

switch for cub counter

Hi what setup did you use on the counter ?

5. edadmartin

edadmartin TDPRI Member

grain fillers my .02

Hey Guys, if you can get the mohawk/Behlen oil grain filler it is the best. Some states its hard to get like so cal. It will not shrink if you thin it to heavy cream texture, using naptha. Circle on a small aera wait till it starts to glaze and wipe it diagonally cross grain using burlap,or terry cloth.Wipe one direction only so you dont pull it out of the grain. If it hazes completely you are going to slow, then wait until it is completely dry and sand off and start process again, only faster ! It drys harder than Bartleys,it takes longer to dry than Bartleys also. I love Bartleys stains, but not their grain filler. Ive done boat interiors for years as a day job, and Mohawk is the only thing that works on Mahogany ash or walnut. my .02 cents.:lol:

6. Mulen

Mulen TDPRI Member

Hey guys, could you send me a telecaster neck in format iges or step or rhino format? Thank you very much. My email: [email protected]

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

It's in the thread I believe.

8. Mulen

Mulen TDPRI Member

In a tread is only parasolid 3d neck but I need step or iges or rhino format.

9. jvanpay

jvanpay TDPRI Member

To
    Wondering if i could get any drawings or g code programs you have. I have access to auto cad, solidworks and inventor. I am trying to get the code to run on the cnc. All files would be greatly appreciated i am a high school shop teacher. Thanks.

10. 017_017

017_017 Friend of Leo's

Hi Ed,

Not sure if you've recieved my PM, but I'd be interested in getting a full set of drawings for either this build, or your Broadcaster build. I'll have to get back to you in regards to what CNC machine and what software package I'll need files for. In addition, would you mind sharing what size/shape cutting bits you used and at what speed for each component/cut, how much material was removed with each pass, raw material sizes (particularly thicknesses), etc.?

Thanks.

11. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Hi .. I was traveling for awhile and just got back. I'll check things over and get back to you all. I have some new drawings that I can send as well.
    Cheers
    ED

12. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Ed,

Would you mind posting or sending the updated files to me also? My son and I are in the middle of a CNC kit build. CNC Build I was planning on using the ones in this thread as a starting point. How's your guitar building going? I check in on your website every once in awhile to see if there is anything new.

Thanks!

Robert

13. acl5280

acl5280 Tele-Meister

Wow Ed Wow! Amazing! Thanks for sharing!

14. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Hi all...still cleaning up after Sandy roared through...I only live a few blocks up from the bay...didn't get power back till this past Sunday....Oh well...all are safe...and all the guitars too!!!...and the shop made it through!!!...What else could you ask for?...be back soon!

15. guitarbuilder

Excellent news...glad to hear that Ed.

16. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Good to hear you and yours made it through intact.

17. Texacaster806

Texacaster806 NEW MEMBER!

Hey guys, I'm looking for rhino files (.3dm) of a tele body to send to CNC Could anyone send me an accurate model?

18. 017_017

017_017 Friend of Leo's

No problem Ed.

I just found out that the CNC machine I have (had?) access to can't cut stock deeper than 1 inch. Not sure I believe it, though. Anyway, I'm going to have to "settle" on having templates cut on a laser cutter, and then doing it the old fashioned way.

Thanks again for suppling these files.

19. guitarbuilder

You could machine it from both sides with a 1 inch Z and finish up the control cavity with a pattern bit.

There's a guy who does some pretty nice stuff with a carvewright. Liquidguitars.com

20. 017_017

017_017 Friend of Leo's

I think I'm quite excited about going old-school, because I'd like to really build up my hands-on woodworking skills (since I'm a complete novice as it is). I will definitely consider going pattern bit and 1 inch Z axis route if it all implodes, though! Thanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.