1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'53 CNC build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ehawley, Aug 21, 2007.

1. ducati955

ducati955 TDPRI Member

Ed... I am not using carbide end mills.. High speed steel with cobalt. But I will be shortly. ;) Thanks for the tape info on order. I backed down the feed from the 70 IPM you had to 14 IPM. That may be contributing to rubbing and tool dulling. My thought was to put less pressure on the double sided tape. After it began to creep I installed some clamps and just moved them when needed. What would a depth of cut and feed rate to start on the .023 end mill? Trying not to break it right off the bat.
    Thanks
    Ken

2. msfenderarg

msfenderarg Friend of Leo's

Get well soon!!!

3. Drools

Drools TDPRI Member

All the best wishes for quick recovery Ed!
    Merrry Christmas and Happy New Year.

If someone has the dxf files for Ed's fixtures, could I get a copy? I have never drilled the hole for a jack before and the fixture(jig) would help a lot.
    Thanks

4. stratman1966

stratman1966 TDPRI Member

Glad you are ok. I had a similar scare but turned out to be nothing. good thing you caught it in time. When you feel better could I trouble you to get the .3dm version of the tele neck solid. thanks again and take it easy for a while.

5. rick31797

rick31797 TDPRI Member

This a Great thread, i will be learning alot, not everybody has a CNC, must be nice, i dream about them..lol
    i do have a woodworking shop, this will be my first guitar and decided to do a tele build, i drew up a template, and not i am at a standstill as i dont know what size to cut the cavities.. i am waiting for my parts..My plan is too make the neck and buy the fingerboard... this is how far i have got..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BryceJ

BryceJ TDPRI Member

Does anyone have a version of this file that can be opened by Rhino?

Thanks.

7. Superc_1

Superc_1 Tele-Meister

Ed,
    What you doing! I've been on something else; project wise, for a year and now find out you down and out on your health? I read this all started about a year ago and that was the last time I tried to called you? Almost to the day; because, I was going to wish you a Merry christmas. You know all you have to do is call, anytime ,any place. I'll call you in a couple days and catch up!
    Dwight

8. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Merry Christmas, Ed. Hope you are still doing OK. ;)

9. Mister B

Mister B Tele-Holic

Send me a PM with your email and I'll forward the file in Rhino format.

10. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Hey all...Still doing fine! Haven't been doing much tele work so I'm not here as much as I should be!! I still have 2 teles that I need to finish, but the 2424 guitars are using up all my guitar building time! Dwight and Rich...I'll give you guys a call over the weekend. In the meantime Ill put together the files that some of you have been asking for. I have a new neck file that has no issues with other conversions. I'm putting together a web page to show my guitars. Work and guitar orders are putting a damper on all that though. Not much there! just an "under construction" log...but I do have pictures of the "Isabella" guitar under the guitars section. I need to put "the making of the Isabella" section up this weekend...(maybe) HERE

Have a happy holiday all and talk to you all soon!!! I'll finish the tuxedo and broadcaster!...my resolution for the new year!!!...:D
    Cheers
    ED

11. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome! Great to see you, Ed!

12. whitecaster

whitecaster TDPRI Member

That's cool sign on Isabella peghead, New Jersey silhouette.

13. ducati955

ducati955 TDPRI Member

I no longer have MasterCam. I am using a program called InventorCam from the SolidWorks folks. Since I have redone my mill control and I am using new CAM software
    .... does anyone have the body and neck in a 3D format model? I can convert most formats. I know IGES, Solidworks, Inventor will pull in just fine.
    Thanks
    Ken

14. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Hey Ken...How are you...A lot of stuff happened the last 2 weeks and I have been pretty busy. I got your PM and I'll put together a package for you and get it off to you in the next few days. How did the previous builds go? Hope all went well!
    Cheers
    ED

15. ducati955

ducati955 TDPRI Member

Great!! Thanks Ed. The previous build went good but stalled on the neck. My old control would not handle all the 3D code. I installed a whole new PC based system with Mach III mill as the control software. I am using InventorCam 2012 for my cam software in conjunction with Inventor Suite 2012 as my CAD 3D modeling software. I really like the InventorCam program. This quest began when the old control would not handle all the code for surfacing the neck.. I ending up buying an All Parts neck but future son-in-law want us to build the necks. I machined the control cavity cover from 304 SS and the bridge from 416 SS. The neck plate is 304 SS with my daughters Logo.
    hehe.. Everyone in on the build. While building the body I cut 5 extra ones for the guys down at the music store. The bodies are sanded and ready to begin the finishing process. All the pick guards are ready for finishing. I will need to build the neck jigs for the truss rod drilling. I am really excited to get back to this project. I have a model for the control cavity cover and the bridge if anyone is in need of them. I believe StudySession is relocating his CNC router and hopefully I can help him some with his models when he is ready. Glad to hear your health is on track.
    Thanks again for all you help.:)

Ken

16. studysession

studysession Tele-Meister

If anyone posts it - I would love to get a google sketchup version of a TELE neck as a 3D model.

17. Sego91

Sego91 NEW MEMBER!

Hey everybody, I'm new in this community, and i found it very interesting. I read Every page of this thread and I'm shocked by your work Ed! You are awesome!
    A friend of mine work with a CNC machine, and i Always wanna do a tele, so i guess that this plans will be very useful for me! Thank you Ed for sharing your knowledge

Excuse my English, 'cause I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Gonzalo

18. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Your very welcome! My pleasure! Your English is very good! Because my wife is Cuban, my Spanish is ok! But I'm not too familiar with the dialect spoken in Buenos Aries...Rioplatense Spanish...right?
    Thanks again!
    Cheers
    ED

19. Satane

Satane TDPRI Member

Awsome work!
    But i've some problems with it. I'm using Autocad for drawings and Masterwood CNC Machine. (http://static.auctelia.com/images/s...roject-400L-Used-CNC-Machining-Centre-001.jpg). The first problem is when i try to set up tools for cutting out the body i need a polyline. I zoomed in and the lines used are not one solid line. So i redrawed it using your drawing and drew lines over it. It worked great but when i try to cut it out now with a 0.4 inch endmill it wont work becouse of the radius at the neck. I think the cutter is to big to be able to work for that radius. It works i cut on the line (Not outside as i should) But even if i scale the body in comparison with what the cutters radius the neck pocket becomes way to small. I cant go with a smaller cutter becouse i'm afraid it will break. I'm currently trying to redraw the radius.

20. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Satane...I used a .250 inch carbide endmill to cut out the body. Setting up your speeds and feeds to cut with that endmill is your best bet. You should have no problem with a Masterwood machine . As far as converting lines and arcs to a polyline, that's another problem. I thought in autocad you could tell it to join all lines and arcs and convert to a polyline. I'll look further into it and see if I can convert and then repost here....
    Thanks for your comments and welcome to the forum!!
    Cheers
    ED

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.