1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

52 years ago today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by VWAmTele, Jan 20, 2021.

1. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Heard this version today of the 'take 6' rehearsal of 'Suspicious Minds', with the late great Reggie Young. I think the song works so much better this way without all the backup singers. Elvis's voice comes through much better and it is good enough to stand on its own.

2. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

I agree that it sounds better this way...but the only reason Elvis heard this song was because Chips Moman had already cut it with Mark James (the composer). Chips played it for Elvis, and they pretty much duplicated the arrangement of the original recording:

James was disappointed, because his song was pretty much taken away from him. Elvis made it up to him by recording another of of his songs a couple of years later. It didn't do much..but 10 years later, it got re-recorded...'You Were Always On My Mind' by Willie Nelson. Mark did all right for himself.

3. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I was a few days past 6 months old.
    I’m afraid I missed Elvis.
    I remember fat karate jumpsuit Elvis on TV. It was cringy.
    As an adult I’ve been to Sun studios and Graceland.
    I have an appreciation of Elvis as a human being and a man of his time.
    But I’m not a big fan.

4. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I felt a bit the same way - then I heard him sing gospel. In fact I saw a clip of him doing 'Peace in the Valley' on the Ed Sullivan show. I'm not a believer, but singing songs that he clearly felt on some level, I got it...

5. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

He seemed like a polite, egotistical rube ... but man, what a voice ... what an instrument! Great intonation, great phrasing, resonant. He had a gift.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.