52 Tele, sounding good?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Luca, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Luca

Luca Tele-Meister

I’m considering picking this 52 as part of a deal, what do you think of the sound based on these little clips I was sent?
    I’m after a super good sounding one but can’t try them all in person... what’s your feeling about this one?

Thanks!!

2. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Sounds good to me but judging tone over the Internet isn't accurate as far as I'm concerned. Other variables such as, will it sound like that through your amp\gear, come in to play.
    If I'm buying online I'd want to know the profile of the neck, the dimensions\depth at the first and 12th fret and I'd want to know the weight.
    Buying online isn't great for me. Of all the guitars that I have now only one remains and probably will for life. My D-28 Authentic 1941.
    Not saying I'll never buy another guitar online but I'll be way more careful about it than in the past. I will give preference to buying a guitar I can play first.

teletail and rangercaster like this.
  3. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Sound is very adjustable. Amps, knobs, pedals, picks, strings, etc. You can get two sorta-similar-sounding guitars to swap places.

But you can't get one guitar to feel and thus play like another. So try to play 'em both, with particular attention to what the necks feel and play like. Go with feel, since that will foster technique, tone, versatility, and fun. Tone will follow.

4. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Maybe you’re listening to a great amp instead of a great guitar. Hard to know.

And gives you no idea of how it plays. I played a Broadcaster with an outstanding bridge pickup. But the neck was blah at best. So you need to try it yourself I think.

refin and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

A friend of mine lent me his 52 tele for a few days. It's a dog. I tried every set up trick in the book and it remained a dog. I made a short video of it with my cell phone and it sounded great to my friends. It even sounded pretty good to me in the video but I wouldn't have done a gig on it if you paid me

Flyboy, nojazzhere and rangercaster like this.
  6. Tedzo

Tedzo Tele-Meister

I told my doctor that I think I'M a dog...he asked how long, I said ever since I was a puppy....

Need pictures of neck date, neck plate, head, etc!

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It sounds OK, and intonates as far as can be ascertained from vid clips on a smartphone.

He has some sort of reverb processing that interferes but it sounds like a good 52.

The thing about them is they're a known value. If you buy through a shop you will lose on resale but not much.

Whether you will like it is another matter.

I owned one. I sold it, because it was a great guitar but didn't do what I needed. Sold it to a Keef freak I kept my much modified MIM Thinline in preference.

If you want to know what the neck is like, it's like 70s Classic Teles and Strats or real skunk stripe CBS 70s. Not as fat as a 50s Classic MIM but fuller than a Modern C standard.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Luca

Luca Tele-Meister

Thank you for the replies so far!

9. buddyboy

buddyboy Tele-Meister

I get what you're after (if you're going to pony up the big dough, you want to make sure the thing nails that BG sound in spades). To me, this guitar sounds good, but also somewhat like a run of the mill modern Tele equipped with a slightly overwound bridge pickup. I mean, it's a tone a ton of modern Tele's can make with a good pickup in it. There's not a lot of "magic" going from what I hear. I also would not have demoed it through a little Tweed amp, but that's just me.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  10. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Betcha the player in that vid can pretty much get that sound from anything he plays.

I don't hear anything special either (no magic...like the poster above me) regarding the guitar other than it sounds a bit muddy from here, but that could be the player and the way he sets up his sound.

For a hell of a lost less $$$ go play a bunch of new ones and find something that knocks your sox off.

Fall in love and bring it home - don't put your hard-earned bucks into what might be nothing more than an internet fantasy.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Most of the advice here is basically what I think.....I'm skeptical about buying any guitar (especially one as expensive as that one) without holding it in my own hands. I'm already on the record as NOT wanting any guitar based on its history.....it has to FEEL and sound good with me playing it. That video sounded good to me, but so would one of my Teles through the same rig and with that guy playing it. golfnut said it best.....I'd want to know the neck profile and total weight.

naveed211 likes this.
  12. Luca

Luca Tele-Meister

I understand your point guys.
    My opinion is that this guitar sounds very good.

But now that I think about it, I’ve never heard a good vintage tele on a youtube clip that couldn’t have been 80-90% replicated by a good modern one.

There is still a tangible difference when playing them in person though.
    From my experience, there is a deeper natural sustain and a warmer overall voice on the oldies.

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity

OK...get on the couch and we'll talk about it.
    I'm not allowed on the couch.
    Why am I pretty sure that whatever kind of music you'd be playing on that guitar is not well represented by those guys.
    Do they want to sell a guitar or flex their weird jazz chops?
    Play a Chuck Berry lick, dammit!:p

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sounds like a vintage Tele. I don’t know why the guy is beating on it so hard in the second clip.

Adam Wolfaardt and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  15. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

I wouldn't be worrying so much as to what it sounds like but to whether or not the guitar is what it claims to be. If you're spending (I'm assuming) $37k on a guitar its the detail that is of most concern. We've all seen a number of questionable blackguard Tele's recently. Have you checked it out on blackguardlogs.com?

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. Luca

Luca Tele-Meister

The guitar is all original down to the last screw.
    7.9lbs, 6.2k bridge pickup, 11/52 dates, everything is perfect.
    Refretted and new nut, but I always consider that normal.
    Well documented on blackguardlogs too.

17. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

This phone demo is actually pretty decent. It has a big sound and is real woody. Is there a return policy? Ask for a 24 hour window where you pay return shipping.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  18. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

From the videos the guitar sounds great and, since the sound seems to have been captured through a simple phone, there is not much that could have been done to enhance it. In short: this 52 is definitely not a dog.

Is it a "super good sounding one"? That would be harder to tell without playing it by yourself indeed. Mostly because what makes a guitar exceptional to you is highly subjective.

Here is my point of view:
    If you are a collector and already own other great vintage guitars, and you want to add a good 52 tele (in what seems to be an amazing condition!), then go for it! It ticks all the boxes for that purpose.
    But if you are looking for a "number 1" that inspires you everyday and makes you want to play on and on and on, then you have to play it first.

nojazzhere and Antoon like this.
  19. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

Ah I remember this one, came from NCK in Hong Kong. Nice guitar.

20. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

If I was spending that much money on any guitar I would want to play it....especially as the sound is so important to you. If you can't do that then agree a fee for return and full refund within a specified time if you're not satisfied. Any reputable dealer should be able to accommodate that.

As for the demo, the positioning of the phone means that you're hearing too much of the room and the acoustic/string sound of the guitar to make any evaluation.....that's before you even consider the particular amp used. Totally useless!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.