1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'52 Tele-- first build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Stumpwizard, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Stumpwizard

Stumpwizard Tele-Meister

Since this was my first ever finishing job, I took the advice from many to put many more coats of gloss on to avoid the possibility of sanding thru - so I ended up with 8-10 coats before curing and wet sanding.. maybe that has something to do with the tint change -

Here is a pic of the color coat I took (in poor lighting conditions with a flash)
    this was taken immediately after spraying the final coat

You can see how yellow it was wet...

By the way I used Deft rattle cans for the gloss coats

Attached Files:

2. overlook1977

overlook1977 Tele-Meister

I really do not like the Reranch BSB. Maybe I sprayed too much of it (2 light coats, 1 heavier coat), but it looks like someone threw up mustard all over the guitar. There is a slight sickly green hue or something to it...I can't put my finger on it. I am trying to decide between a few different options:
    1) Continue spraying the BSB to get it opaque to see if the wood is making it a dirty tint.
    2) Spray Reranch tinted nitro over it to get it more orange.
    3) Give up and paint it black.

I was trying to go for this:

http://www.johnmichaelsonline.com/images/0310203550.jpg

However, this was my result:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  3. overlook1977

overlook1977 Tele-Meister

I had a realization that the green hue is coming from the dark wood grain bleeding through. I think if you go too far with the BSB, you are best off just spraying it on opaque. I put on another coat of BSB and its already looking better...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  4. thestratomaster

thestratomaster TDPRI Member

the color in that pic of the squier is technically just butterscotch, which reranch also sells. Butterscotch blonde is this color:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:16,s:0&biw=1045&bih=509

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.