1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'52 Tele-- first build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Stumpwizard, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Stumpwizard

Stumpwizard Tele-Meister

OK so I have been watching build threads and learning all that I can before the itch to build a 52 black guard overcame me... so many of you builders have inspired me to give it a go...I built a telecaster in high school 26 years ago for a graphic arts class..then sold it the same year...since that time I have been repairing, modding, collecting, lusting,...well you guys all know the sickness no need to describe it further..

So off to gather the needed components I went...first a Fender vintage style 3 saddle bridge was the first....then a 52 reissue neck pup...then a 50's style GFS bridge...(I have used these before and love them).. then a Mighty Mite 9.5" radius neck...went with birds eye maple..I am a sucker for the birdseye..not real authentic but I am serving my own desires here...
    Stew-Mac hardware - strap buttons and pick guard
    slotted tele screw set in stainless (eBay seller)
    neck plate and tuners from another eBay seller
    The body is a USAG ash that I bought from a fellow TDPRI member..Coco - thanks again for a nice piece of ash...oops...careful there!

Bought a control plate with CTS/CRL components, dome knobs, top hat switch tip from another TDPRI member Pgrace...thanks for a great deal on that setup

After much sanding, grain filling, more sanding, sanding sealer..I got the reranch butterscotch blonde color coat on the body this morning...

The mighty mite neck required quite a bit of fretwork, once completed I lightly sanded the satin coat from it and sprayed two coats of Deft Nitro, then a couple of coats of the reranch neck amber tint...boy this stuff is finicky to get right without runs...I think a new neck will be in this guitars future...but it is OK for the time being.. a good one to learn the process with though..

Here are some pics of things so far..

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=102185&id=682290125&l=9db22

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Awesome!

3. mobman924

mobman924 TDPRI Member

Can't wait to see the finished product

4. Stumpwizard

Stumpwizard Tele-Meister

Neck completed...update

Here are a couple of pics of the neck... my first raw wood to finish.. turned out "acceptable" - plan to take what I have learned from this one and finish another one for the project...

Ready to begin the gloss coat for the body next - my test piece is shown in one pic - love the butterscotch blonde...

Attached Files:

5. Stumpwizard

Stumpwizard Tele-Meister

Headstock decal installed

I used Inkjet waterslide paper (Bels brand) and created several different decal ideas..here is the one I installed today....waiting on the several more Nitro top coats and then the wait for final sanding and buffing...

Attached Files:

6. skhan007

skhan007 TDPRI Member

Hello from Indianapolis!! I love these step-by-step threads showing how you build and finish a tele. Incredibly educational! Looking good so far and can't wait to see how she progresses.

7. Hollmanp90

Hollmanp90 Tele-Afflicted

Lovely....and just wait till you get her playin' just right.....What I like about building/assembling is each project seems to take your mind off all the eye-candy and other gear that though you like.....you really don't need....Kinda cures gas....until the next build.

8. Stumpwizard

Stumpwizard Tele-Meister

building is taking my mind off of some unpleasant things too... if you are not patient, don't build one...the fun is not how fast you can get it done.. but what you can learn along the way to make each one better... I am learning on this one as I plan to build each of my boys a guitar.. I think each of us should build something that will outlast us in the end...

9. Stumpwizard

Stumpwizard Tele-Meister

52 Tele Blackguard Build Update

I have been so engrossed in the finishing of the body that I almost forgot some pics...this is not the best pic, but I am ready to complete the wiring then string her up and see what I have done...

I have learned so much doing this (and making a few mistakes along the way)

More (better) pics to follow soon

Attached Files:

10. Scatter Lee

Scatter Lee Friend of Leo's

I can dig it

11. Stumpwizard

Stumpwizard Tele-Meister

Build complete

I just finished the final assembly and setup...still need a little "nut job" to bring the action down where I like it...but here are a few pics of my first Telecaster build..

Attached Files:

12. Gjerm

Gjerm NEW MEMBER!

How did you make the Fender font for the "Taylor" decal? Very, very nice!

13. fletch

fletch Tele-Meister

Very VERY nice ! And that figured neck looks amazing too. Well done

14. Stumpwizard

Stumpwizard Tele-Meister

It is a standard brush script.. played with it until I liked it with word art settings in Microsoft PowerPoint... thanks for the compliments..my first ever build...happy with the way it turned out

15. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Yup...Real nice! Great looking color on the body, and the neck makes it POP!!
    Cheers
    ED

16. Stumpwizard

Stumpwizard Tele-Meister

Thanks Ed - I have learned much from reading many of your posts...along with so many others here... I am already planning my next build...

17. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

That looks great! How hard was the blonde finish? How many coats did you put on?

18. Stumpwizard

Stumpwizard Tele-Meister

The reranch butterscotch blonde was the easiest of everything I did - the raw wood prep was more involved, the sanding, and especially the nitro clear - the reranch rattle can sprayed VERY nice - he has some nice nozzles that come with each can - I sprayed only one light coat - just to get a bond, then let that tack up (maybe 15min) then sprayed a heavier coat until I got about 50% trans- my goal was to leave about 50% grain showing on the top and back, and more opaque on the sides - I gotta tell you when I sprayed the reranch at first I thought it was way too yellow... but as you can see from the pics, once several coats of nitro were applied it mellowed to a nice butterscotch -

19. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Yours looks great.

I agree that the reranch stuff is easy to work with but it is way to yellow and even after 4 coats of nitro it is still too yellow for me. More like Country Crock Margarine than Butterscotch Blonde....

[​IMG]

20. mrothacker

mrothacker Tele-Meister

Very nice , good job !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.