52 RI lies

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Dyllpan, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Dyllpan

Dyllpan TDPRI Member

What do you think about the 52 RI in general? Is it all that crack up to be?
    I mean Fender doesn't tel the whole story, they say it's totally like the original. But it simply isn't, it has a TWO piece ash body and there's a polly coat under the nitro.
    But everything I've read about it and spoke to simply adores the damn thing.

So is the RI a serious guitar? Will it give that signature 52 tele tone?

The reason I ask this and not try one out is that I am left handed and where I live these guitars are very rare. So there is now way I can try one out before I buy it.

Thanks.

2. all_identaties_taken

all_identaties_taken Tele-Holic

In `52 not all bodies were one piece, some were two or even three. The white base coat that they used under the clear blond will on two and three piece bodies be solid on the edge to hide the joins.

3. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

No its not EXACTLY like a 52 Im sure, but it is about 80,000$ cheaper.
    It is the best guitar Ive ever owned thats all I know.

I do plan on throwing some nocaster PUPS in it, those things sound sweet.

4. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

To add to the discussion....VERY FEW Original 52s Had 1 pc. Bodies...and IMO....The 52 AVR is one of Fender's Finest Offerings, beginning in 1982..YMMV

5. cRaZY Tom

cRaZY Tom Tele-Meister

I bought one in march last year, and to be honest I was very disapointed with it, it looks the part and it was finished well but it did'nt sound any different to my MIM classic series telecaster which i had fitted the same pickups too, which including the pickup change cost less than half as much!

i still have the guitar but it has'nt aged well, the nitro finish is'nt all its cracked up to be (because it is poly under the nitro) and your right it isnt totally like the original, especially where electronics are concerned.

if i could turn back the clock i would build a 52 reissue my self from parts, as you could make it totaly acurate and it would proberbly cost alot less, so if you have the time, thats what i sugest you do!

6. mowcheeba

mowcheeba Tele-Holic

With two kids it takes so long to write a post that all questions is already answered:lol:
    In general it is a great guitar. Sure it has some issues like you seem to know already. The body being 2 or 3 piece is not as bad as you make it seems, I don't think the original blackguards were made of 1 piece bodies.

Bottom line is if you are looking for a true replica of an original blackguard look elsewhere.
    If you want a good/great guitar with 50s spec. and the blackguard look, buy it.
    If you are ordering specify light to medium weight, that way you won't end up with a heavy dog like I did.

I ended up selling mine to build my own which is going to be finished today!

7. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Friend of Leo's

The best repro of the original Blackguards is the Nocaster. For less money, you get a VERY NICE guitar. Yes, it is a serious guitar. A lot of folks around here are purists and don't like the poly undercoat - fine, buy a thinskin. They put the poly coat on so the guitar can take more of a beating without showing it. Nowadays the relic look is very popular and the thinskins are selling fast.

I personally prefer the Nocaster pups, but the stock pups are very nice.

I have two "standard" AV52's, a Hot Rod, and an FSR "Nocaster blonde" on the way. I love them all. I honestly love my Nocasters more, but the AV52 is great.

From the tone of your post, it seems to me that you have a sort of "chip on your shoulder" regarding this model - you might be happier looking at a different one.

8. nokaster

nokaster Tele-Holic

same story...
    60's classic with nocaster pick-ups sounded, felt, was the better guitar for me...
    as will my future baja... i'm sure...

i sent my AV52 back... couldn't justify the cost...

9. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

+1

I had an 89 Fender AV 52 RI and it was a tone monster, it blew away guitars costing thousands more. I eventually found a good Nocaster that equalled it tonaly and was a couple of pounds lighter than my 52 RI.

MikeY

10. 0le FUZZY

0le FUZZY Former Member

...I gree !!

...The bess thang Fenner ever dunn cents the original TELECASTER.

0.F.

11. Sarge

Sarge Friend of Leo's

Ordered a brand spankin' new one from Fender in 1999, kept it for a few months and sold it. My TE-1N and TE-2's are much better IMHO. They look nice but don't cut it tonally.

12. petebradt

petebradt Former Member

THe CIJ TL52s are better guitars at half the price.

13. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

I bought my '96 AV52 in '97. It's my number 1 guitar. However, it's gone through many modifications to get it to where I love it. I had to replace two tuners and the blade switch, the pickups lost virtually all their output and have been replaced with Seymour Duncans, it's been refretted with jumbo frets, the neck has been striped and refinished with tru-oil, the body was striped and refinished with a very thin varnish, and it now sports arm and belly contours. It's been played to death, and only in the last six months has started to feel like the once-in-a-lifetime instrument that it is. But it's taken 10 years of playing and many mods to get it there.

Stock, it wasn't anything special, but I'm sure glad I stuck with it.

14. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a 1988 52ri sold it and got a 50's Classic and 60's Classic I liked both of those better than the 52ri I owned.

Most 52ri's are 3 piece bodies there are some 2 piece ones.

The 52ri is a good guitar. Its just overpriced. Why should it be priced any higher than the Baja besides the case they are about the same. Your just paying for the higher cost of the USA labor and not necessarly getting a better instrument.

15. serialsteve

serialsteve Tele-Holic

I had an '81 52RI (REAL early) and it was the best Tele I've ever owned and I've owned a bunch. I remember playing a few in the mid-late 90s and not being as impressed, but that was a high bar set by the older one. I recently played a newer one and it was nice, but didn't enter territory I don't already have covered by another Tele.

16. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Friend of Leo's

Sorry, I have both and TOTALLY disagree. The CIJ can't hold a candle to the AV52... The electronics are crap and the bridge is horrible. They also don't look as good IMHO....

Dyllpan - Fuzzy's word is gospel on all matters Telecaster!

17. div

div Tele-Meister

Mine's a '97 and I'm never givin it up for anything, no lie.

[​IMG]

18. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

fwiw

I like the MIM Teles...better....my opinion and $1.50 will buy you a large diet coke in most areas....fwiw:lol:

Bill Hullett

19. Colin Johnston

Colin Johnston Tele-Holic

I love my copper 52ri, but that's a heck of a recomendation for the MIMs from Mr Hullett!! :cool:

20. Tim73

Tim73 Friend of Leo's

I have the CIJ TL52 and it's a great guitar. I tried a US one once which felt heavier but that could just be down to the individual guitars. Mine's definately a great guitar. I can't compare with the originals as I've never played one or even seen an original up close!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.