52 reissue?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by firesgt911, May 13, 2010.

1. firesgt911

firesgt911 TDPRI Member

My ex sister-in-law's first cousin's step dad(a little ridiculous, I know) offered me his 52 Tele reissue for $375. I haven't seen it yet, so I know nothing about it. I told him yes, but would like to get a little information before I go look at it, so I know what to look for. My questions are:

1. How many variations of 52 Tele are there? ex. MIA, MIM, CIJ or Squire?,

2. I've been able to track down prices of MIA's, but nothing else. Can somebody give me a ballpark price for other versions? If his guitar is worth $1000, I would like to pay him appropriately.

3. Am I in for a treat?

Thanks guys!

2. Happy Tele

Happy Tele Tele-Holic

theres only US 52RI

Japan makes 52 Teles but they're technically not called 52RI, only the AVRIs are (american vintage reissue)

either way if its us 52ri or mij/cij 52 BUY IT NOW!!!

3. firesgt911

firesgt911 TDPRI Member

That's what I was hoping to hear!!! He is selling so low because he doesn't play anymore and wants to keep it...somewhat in the family.

THANKS for the great info!!!!!!!!!!

4. jtmdes

jtmdes Tele-Meister

You are in for a real treat, I absolutely love mine. For $375 don't even think about it, get it as quick as you can!

5. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

It's worth considerably more than $375. You're doing the right thing by him by paying him what it's really worth.

Someone will post the value of that guitar in this thread soon enough. I don't know exactly.

6. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Be sure its really a real USA 52ri cause people call just about anything that looks similar to a 52ri a 52ri.

It shouldnt say made in usa anywhere. There should be 1 serial # on the bridgeplate and no where else. The screws should be slotted not phillips and the headstock decal should be on top of the finish if its under the finish its a made in japan model.

A real 52ri at the least price will sell for $800-850 thats about the lowest you see them sell for with the case.

If you can take some pics with a cellphone or anything and upioad them we might be able to tell you what it is or isnt real quick.

7. firesgt911

firesgt911 TDPRI Member

I'm a firm believer in karma! It's bitten me too many times in the past, so I try to do the right thing whenever I can. Nobody's perfect though.

I am waiting on him to call me back. I will buy it as soon as he can get together!

8. Happy Tele

Happy Tele Tele-Holic

dont act all excited...Give him a low ball number like $250 and see if he bites :twisted:

9. firesgt911

firesgt911 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the great info! He said he paid about $800 a few years ago for it. I will check all the points you pointed out when I see it.

Thanks again!

10. firesgt911

firesgt911 TDPRI Member

HAHAHA! He's family!

11. Happy Tele

Happy Tele Tele-Holic

oh I see...$300? :lol:

if he paid $800 a few years ago this could mean it was a used 52RI or possibly a new CIJ 52...either way these are both worth about 900-1000 for the US and a little less for the cij, maybe 700.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It seems likely it was a real AV52 if he paid $ 800 for it. New or used? Tan cloth covered case with orange lining?

I'm sure he's not expecting you to pay retail.

Here's a 60th Anniversary Limited Edition version of the AV52 with fancier pickups, that was an NOS store item that was missing the correct bridge and a knob I think. I paid under $ 600 sight unseen including the cost to ship if from Atlanta to New Orleans and they threw in a beat up old case to ship it in.

[​IMG]

$ 700 should be a fair price within the family.

13. Knotty

Knotty TDPRI Member

I dont know... I think '52s are over rated.:lol:

14. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Tell your ex sister-in-law's first cousin's step dad I'll give him $400 for it!

You got a great deal for a great guitar! Enjoy it! Can't wait to see the pics.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

M

15. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

The frets are too small, the neck is too big, it's hard to intonate those three saddle bridges, there's some poly under the nitro finish, they're too orange coloured......

And that's why I like mine!

16. TexGoneNW

TexGoneNW Tele-Afflicted

If it's the version from the 80's, I bought mine without the case and accessories for $550 back in the late 90's. The $800-850 range on the low end is still a good deal.

I keep mine despite the relatively thin and flamey neck that really doesn't simulate an old Tele. It's got a nice tone and vibe.

17. firesgt911

firesgt911 TDPRI Member

Turns out it's made in Korea. It was still a beatiful guitar, but in the 10 minutes I played it, have the time was spent tuning it. I passed on it.

Thanks for the great info guys!

18. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Yep...that's kinda how Old worn strings act.

19. firesgt911

firesgt911 TDPRI Member

They were fresh. We threw them on when I got there. It was a fine guitar, but made a bad first impression. I'm over buying fixer uppers. It sounded pretty good , but played just ok.

20. Josh Davis

Josh Davis Tele-Meister

That's too much for a guitar made in Korea. He paid $800? I doubt it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.