52 reissue telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bluzeman1, Jan 14, 2014.

1. bluzeman1

bluzeman1 TDPRI Member

Im wanting to purchase a 52 reissue in butterscotch blonde. I see so many for sale for decent prices from many different years from the 90's up to 2011/12. My question is, what is considered the best production year for the 52 reissue? is there a certain year where the quality is the best over another year or doesn't it really matter? If I make a purchase, more than likely it will be a used guitar and probably not be able to check it out and play it first, so Im wondering what is the best year to look at on the 52 reissue?

2. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

There is no "best" year as such, although collectors prefer the early Fullerton (1982-1984) models - I had an '82 '52RI and it was wildly inaccurate.

Basically, there's been 3 versions of US-built '52RI:

1982-1997 model 010-1303
    1998-August 2012 model 010-0202
    August 2012-date model 011-0202.

The 1303s have skinny necks and Alnico 5 magnet pickups. The 010-0202 have more accurate neck shapes, sharper body edge radii and Alnico 3 magnet pickups and the 011-0202 is the latest version with the largest necks, opaque flash coat finish and new pickups.

My preference would be for the 1998-2012 model 010-0202 for the excellent pickups and the translucent Butterscotch finish that shows the ash body grain.

Thanks,

3. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

I like those pickups as well (OV's). I have a 2007 AVRI and have read other members say that their 2007's are very good. FWIW of course, very subjective. You can get one of these used for $800 - $1,000 or so. I see them on CL on a pretty regular basis.

I'd love to try one of the new 52 Pure Vintage AV's, have heard great things. Saw a used one on Dave's Guitar site a week or so ago for around $1.2k.

4. Fernandomania

Fernandomania Tele-Afflicted

"Best" is so subjective. Most valuable in the market is easier to quantify but "best" not so much.

5. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

I have a 2003 that I thought was a steal and it is my main squeeze. I found most of these to be pretty good builds, if you are going to play it then just buy one, if you don't bond with it buy another; they don't lose their value.

6. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I've had a dozen of the '98-2012 models. Great guitars. That said I could never keep one very long. I've now had a later 2012 model for over a year and picked up a 2nd one (2013) last week.

I really like the look of the newer models. They look how the old blackguards would have looked when they were new. I was never a fan of the pumpkin finish of the older models.

The rounded edges on the fretboards of the newer models really make it feel like your playing an old friend every time you pick it up.

7. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

I could be wrong, but I almost remember you mentioning in older psots that the rolled fretboard was the exact reason why you didn't like the new 52RI's (Pure Vintage)?

8. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

I don't know if he did or not ,but even if he did people change opinions. I used to like thin necks now I like fat ones and dislike thin ones :eek: Well I wouldn't say I dislike them it's more like my hands started to dislike them from a cramping stand point :lol:

9. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

I understand that people change their minds, and are entitled to! I was just asking becuase I almost remembered the rolled finger board being the deciding factor for why he couldn't bond with the guitar, and was curious what changed. Wasn't attacking the guy, just curious!

10. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Oh no I didn't think you were attacking him! :eek: I was just making a statement about how he may have changed his mind. Sorry if it came off rude or in an attack like manner. Sometimes text and things said in person can be so different :oops:

11. Rich Merriman

Rich Merriman TDPRI Member

Hello

I don't have experience with any '52RI outside of my own which I purchased new around 2000/2001.

I think it's just great and it is one of the few pieces I have continuously owned over that period of time - while many other guitar/amps/basses have come and gone.

I do have one issue with the instrument though. The B string seems to emanate a vibrato like effect when set on the bridge pickup. When I pluck any note on the B string, it will sound sharp then settle to the intended note. This happens up and down the neck. It also seems like the B string is louder than the rest - but it may only seem louder due to the dissonance it is creating. It is not an issue during leads - but I can always hear what the B string is doing during rhythm parts - and I have had complaints from singers about the twangy pedal tone aspect of it.

Has anybody else had this issue? I don't know if I need a new pickup or if there is a solution with the original.

Thank you for reading - and sorry for derailing.(?)

12. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As always, TT knows his stuff.:cool:

I haven't played the latest version, so I can't say much about that except for the looks, which is great - very authentic looking.

But of the earlier versions I definitely prefer the 010-0202 over the 1303. Thicker neck, OV pickups and generally more correct specs ...

13. Twang Man

Twang Man Tele-Holic

I have the 2006 thin skin version. simply beautiful and a pleasure to play. Build quality is right up there at Custom Shop level, in my opinion!

14. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

+1!
    My early '12 010-0202 is as comfortable to me as an old pair of jeans and sounds pure telecaster.

15. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

No worries at all! Believe me, with all the guitars I've gone through in th alast couple years, I'm one who has changed his mind countless times! Funny thing, the 52AVRI I have is the only one I've kept!

16. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

I have a 2006, but mine is not a Thin Skin. Absolutely love the guitar, however my only complaint would be the finish. It's very thick, and seems fragile, an dI have several chips (or chunks) that have busted off from just bumping the guitar against something. UNderneath the nitro it looks like a really thinck, heavy poly coat that must not have bonded well with the body, because when a chunk comes off, it goes right to clean wood.

17. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, that's one of our rights as human beings: changing our minds/opinions. And FredDairy makes use of this right frequently!;) No one writes as detailed reviews as him though. It's almost like playing the guitar yourself ... :cool:

18. Twang Man

Twang Man Tele-Holic

ahhh yeah they did that poly thing underneath. Not on the Thin Skin though, thats all Nitro. mine has cracked, chipped and worn in places but it feels like a well worn shoe. it just fits!

19. FredDairy

You're wrong. Those were the '58RIs. I think I commented on the rolled edges on the newer '52 but I'm pretty sure I said something like it wasn't as bad as the '58RIs. There's still a lot of room. My concern would be a refret. But I think the fretboard gets planed with a refret which would make the edges flat?? Right??

FWIW My 2013 model has slightly less rolled edges than my 2012 PV. But still considerably rounded compared to previous models.

20. FredDairy

Hey!! I resent that! :lol:
    I think there's something special about the newest reissues. I've had both the '64 and '52 for over a year now, which for me is quite an accomplishment. Last week I picked up second copies of each as sort of a congrats to myself. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.