52 Reissue - First Year?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tellison, Dec 11, 2019.

1. tellison

tellison TDPRI Member

What was first year the 52 Reissue was produced?

what would a pristine model be worth today?

tommy

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Introduced at 81? NAMM as 82 model year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/areyou.../2017/05/20/fender-52-telecaster-reissue/amp/

The first model is generally not held in so high regard. 1303 was the model number.

Still had the Gumby post-74 body shape and wrong headstock shape brought in by CBS. Slimmer modern C neck profile with incorrect 12th fret dot space. Later are thicker U-profile.

Finish nitro coat over poly substrate. Bit yellowy, necks can be overtinted.

Some very early ones were assembled in Japan from US parts. There's no way of knowing except if it's very early.

Value is hard to determine but no more than a pristine later reissue. The thinner depth neck puts some people off them.

If you had an original one in case with case candy and tags, maybe around new MSRP. Hard to gauge. People ask ridiculous dollars for them but what they sell for?

3. tellison

tellison TDPRI Member

Thanks. Mine was recently acquired from original owner. Never gigged With OHSC, hang tags and goodies intact.

4. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I traded Frank Lucido at Cal Guitar a CAR 66 Strat, transition parts and logo, even up for an 82 RI when they first came out. My brother had an actual 51 Nocaster, #1699, so I knew what the much touted "reissue" should be like. When I got it, though, it was NOTHING like a real vintage Tele! Wrong finish, body shape, neck shape, color, case, EVERYTHING WAS COMPLETELY WRONG! I immediately called Lucido to undo the deal, but he said, "Sorry, I already sold your Strat."
    I took that POS RI Tele and traded it it for a Gibson ES335, even though I had no desire for a Gibson anything. I traded the best Strat I'd ever owned for that piece of cr##!
    Needless to say, I will never understand why anyone would want an 82 Fender Reissue Tele.

5. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    So... are you pro or con 1982 '52 Reissue Telecasters?

face-with-tears-of-joy 2.JPG

`

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Clifton C, dan1952 and RadioFM74 like this.
  6. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

AxemanVR likes this.
  7. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

For the uninitiated, what is the first RI year which is faithful to the 1952 model? Is there such an animal?

8. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

I have a 93 that sat under the original owners bed for 23 years. It plays and looks great and came with all of the case candy and COA. Not to concerned how authentic to a real 52 since it plays and sounds great. The neck is thinner than the current RI but it is a wonderful guitar.

Ignatius likes this.
  9. Dacious

I hasten to add - I don't think they're bad guitars.

They're still a US made Fender and people like them. They have more or less the same value as any other version, depending on condition. They sold for fifteen years.

Some people prefer the neck profile. Others don't care.

10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I thought it was 1980.o_O
    I like everything about them except that fat baseball neck but many others love that.

11. Dacious

There's much argument about that - possibly the immediate previous pre-2017 Original Vintage model which had a light undercoat and topcoat. The current model has a flatter 9.5" neck radius and bigger frets. That finds favour with some and not with others but it's not period correct.

Also the original 51-54 blackguards along with the first two RIs had a 3-posi switch with neck pickup, neck pup through a deep cap and bridge pickup slone; the second two didn't they matched the post-66 wiring scheme. The first models came with wiring kit and directions to convert to the modern neck/parallel/bridge switch. It's very simple. Couple solder joints. The case candy also came with six barrel bridge, ashtray, strap, cable and a few other bits.

The issue with nominating one version over another is in 52 Fender was a cottage industry with semi-skilled labour cutting, shaping and finishing things with hand tools using templates and gauges.

Pickups were hand fed-wire on motor driven spools with approximate counts, necks shaped on belt sanders and nominally du pont paint but in reality any vendor/brand and pickups fitted with different magnet types magnetised variably.

Colours, feel, weight, pickup strength all vary amongst existing examples. So picking one to emulate is tricky.

Plus nitro browns, opaques and thins with age. When new, 52s would have been a pale buttery shade and necks almost white.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    AxemanVR likes this.
  12. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

82 is the " considered " year of introduction. Are they perfect to an original 52 ? No, not 100% exact, and thats probably a benefit !

I own an 88 and an 89. Prices for the first series ( 80's ) is significantly higher than the following year builds. It is said that this series thru the early 90's is very consistent and similar, fit ,finish,feel. I find this to be correct as I have personally had many in my hands and they indeed were each very similar overall. Later years had different finish thickness and played a tad different, all nice guitars though.

Are these good guitars,? The 80's series....Well thats the question and opinion of the day. My take, yes, these may be the best Guitars Fender made during the era. IF you like the looks, the 7.25 profile , the frets , the pups etc, then you are a fan, if you like something else, then you are not !

I would buy another nice clean 82 thru late 80's in a NY minute if one crossed my path and I would expect to pay above 2 grand within reason. Others would walk saying "it ain't worth it". There is a clean 82 issue on reverb right now with a $3500 ask . Is that too high ? I dunno, if it sells then NO, if it doesn't then Yes !

How many clean 80's series are available ? It's not like you can go to GC and take one off the wall for $1500. So the starting price is around $1500 . Keep going UP from there.

To answer the initial question, yes, the 80's series can demand more cash, and they will get it. How much more is the question. If you want an 80's issue , then grab one, there are only so many out there and not many showing up for sale. Especially an 82. So regardless of what OTHERS think, how much are they worth to you, for a very limited availability instrument ?

13. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

follow up to my above post: I just pulled the 88 off the wall. I don't play this guitar near as much as I should. I've owned it about 15 years. It has never left the house.

The 88 /52 RI is about as near a perfect telecaster for me as I could expect. Is it 100% true to the original 52 ? Don't know, don't care ! As I am sitting here playing it, because of this thread, all I can say to myself is, Lord this is one fine Instrument ! This guitar was acquired from a close friend way back for $1300. Seemed like a lot at the time, today it's a no brainer !

By the way my 89 is a road warrior, if I put another ding in it, the value increases, the 88 is clean as all get go , perhaps considered MINT , If I ding this one the value goes down ! :)

The 89 had been my go to guitar since 2003 or 2004 , only recently "parked" with the addition of a USA 08 with a Forrest Lee jr B Bender. The 89 was purchased in good clean , not mint condition , for $800 around 2003 or so. A great guitar, my best friend for over 15 years !

14. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Obviously no ‘52 "reissue" is going to be 100% accurate to the original, even if we're only talking about today's finish materials not having the same chemical composition as before.

Otherwise, as @Dacious alluded to earlier, the relatively crude manufacturing techniques back in the day pretty much made it impossible have 100% consistency anyway.

So, is the basic body shape and neck profile, etc, on my 2003 Fender AVRI ‘52 Tele accurate to "at least" one Telecaster made in 1952?... Possibly.

As far as appearance and functionality are concerned, are all the other materials and specs “close enough”?... Possibly.

If it sounds and plays great does that ideally nullify any alleged discrepancies or potential shortcomings?... Well, I can only speak for myself, but to me the answer to that question is a resounding “Yes!”.

In fact, pretty much my only complaint is that they made the finish on mine perhaps a little too orange...

'52 Tele 2019.JPG

...although I have found examples of some originals that appear to be even darker than mine:

931ABD14-2546-4292-9037-B482448D16D0.jpeg

15. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

The most accurate reissues were built from 2012-2017. However Fender used a slightly larger fret than the original vintage models had during that time period.
    But as far as look finish and sound go they are really the cream of the reissue run.

The 1982 reissues only interest me as to they are my birth year. I'd love a '57 RI from then.

16. Hillcountry

Hillcountry TDPRI Member

Love my 83. Even if it isn’t totally to spec. It is an old guitar with some good road wear and it plays nicely. The frets are kind of toast so I have to wrestle with it a bit. I do have cloth covered wire...so I am not sure if the pickups are original. I did have to fix the neck pickup, it was DOA, but luckily the break was only a few winds in from the outside of the coil. Thin neck...v shaped - good mojo though.

17. noid4879

noid4879 TDPRI Member

Are these the same as the Fullerton reissues? I thought those commanded more money?

18. Stiggs1962

Stiggs1962 TDPRI Member

A371BCAF-BD25-44CA-B218-56A1B3589B53.jpeg I remember being pretty fired up when the RI’s first came out, some of the 90s 57 RI’s strats were really special (tho the necks could be blaze orange). Don’t personally think the 52’s as first introduced were especially close to an actual 50s tele but were still a great geetar. Love my 89, she’s pretty minty but is in need of a nut dress after 30 years.

19. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I have a 94 that I bought in 97. Bought it used, came with Bardens. I've since replaced the pickups, neck, and bridge saddles. Played a ton of gigs with it and it has been a bit neglected. Just got it back out and I'm going to bring it back into the rotation. Going to order some Cavaliers for it, and it could use a new neck (again). Not sure what to do about that. I don't want 7.25 but I'd like it to retain the original look so I'll need something with the vintage tint.

20. Dacious

Yes. Except there's some uncertainty about where the first ones were made. They definitely used US sourced parts including all the hardware.

Mark Davis who used to post on here had minutiae-level knowledge of the different specs and IIRC he said some maybe only a few weeks were assembled in Japan.

These might possibly have some plastic wires between pots, switch and Jack - but don't quote me; They would have very early build dates.
    They are rarer in numbers and a good one could be worth more if complete with it's baggie of case candy and tags. For a player - down to whether you like the s

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.