1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'52 PV Love?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FredDairy, Jul 27, 2014.

1. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Cool. But that's not a PV '52.

2. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Fred, can you tell me what, if any, the main differences are between the new PV52 and my '51 Nocaster?

I love my Nocaster, but your relentless posts about the PV52 kinda make me wonder whether it's worth pulling the trigger on a PV52, when, to me at least, it just looks like an NOS Nocaster!

Thanks,

3. FredDairy

Man it's been at least 6 or 7 years since I've owned a NOS Nocaster.

I think the finish is thinner on the PV52. They both have the more yellow than butterscotch blonde bodies, and they both have the no tint nitro for the necks.

The PV52 neck is somewhere inbetween the shape of the Nocaster and the last '52 RI. I've had a PV with the neck depth at the first fret .870. The two I kept are .910 at the first fret. The edges of the fretboard are also rolled on the PV52.

Personally the PV52 neck profile is the best when compared to the older '52RI and the Nocaster NOS. Being inbetween those two I find it to be just right, and unique as to there really is no other Fender, MIM, MIJ, or USA with a similar neck.

Pickups are different. From what I remember the NOS had very different sounding pickups than the AV52. I preferred the AV52 pickups, not sure if the PVs are the same or revoiced.

The NOS had one cool little detail which was the old body dowels in the back. The PV doesn't.

4. TheWizard333

TheWizard333 Banned

I know but still a cool guitar.

5. Twang Tone

Thanks Fred.

6. FredDairy

Sure. Wish I could remember more!

7. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Fred's reply is totally accurate but keep in mind that Nocasters are also available in different radius & fret combinations.. as well as pickup combinations. My first has a Twisted Tele, Broadcaster set, the 2nd I believe is an unknown after market boutique set while the third is a Twisted Tele set.

The first time I saw or heard of the PV52 was in August 2012.. I had gone to the shop with money in my pocket and came home with a used Nocaster more so because it was a great deal then because it was a better guitar.. I brought an AV52 home a few months later.. The biggest difference is the neck profile.. I frequently will grab the AV before a Nocaster. Without knocking the Nocaster at all the PV's are imo a better deal if you prefer vintage spec necks or have no preference.

8. Twang Tone

Sure, but my Nocaster IS the old 7.25" radius, vintage frets, opaque honey blonde color in a 'Closet Classic' finish. That's why a wondered whether it was worth getting a PV52 when my Nocaster's specs mirror the '52RI.

Thanks,

9. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

I love the new 52 ri's, but a partscaster with a 2012 58 ri body and Musikraft roasted maple neck works for me.

10. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

i see you point.. maybe not.. do you have any of the other AV's?

11. SkipParis

SkipParis Tele-Meister

Got my 2013 PV 52 back from getting the Complete Pleck done and I have to say ti was worth every penny. I thought it played great before. Humm I guess my set up's aren't as good as I thought. I'm dropping off the CS Copper closet classic in the morning for the same job.

12. Twang Tone

Well, I was looking at the AV58RI because I prefer maple necks, so I won't buy a '64RI. My current guitars include 2 Bajas, an '06 AV52RI Thin Skin and the Nocaster, so I seem to favour the Blackguard look.

I've tried 2 PV52s, but didn't have my Nocaster with me to A/B them.

Thanks,

13. FredDairy

Slow moving topic. Would I be right in assuming there are 10xs the amount of '64 RI owners to the PV '52?

I've been a/bing the '52 and '64 all week and in some cases the '52 spanks the '64.
    My first PV '52 from 2012 is as good if not better than my favorite '64. My 2nd 2013 PV '52 is still lacking a bit. Getting better tho.

14. SkipParis

SkipParis Tele-Meister

Fred I think the 64 and the 58 are two of the best out of the box guitars sold by Fender today. I enjoy mine so well they had another one Identical even down to the weight as the one I bought and so I bought that one as well along with the 2013 PV52. I still pick up the 64 first every time though. Maybe it's the color that people are buying more of the 64's or there A/B'ing them. Hands down I think the 64 has the edge. All thought I'm 60 now so what do I know.

[​IMG]

15. FredDairy

I think a 60 year old probably knows more than a 32 year old...:)

I think it comes down to personal opinion. For example you say the '58 is one of the best out of box, I had three of them and thought they were the worst playing Telecasters of all time. I couldn't stand the neck. Although I did like the pickups and kept a set for one of my partscasters.

My '64s always come out of the case first, but I'll admit some of that is just due to lust. I've always wanted a blonde bodied/rosewood neck AV and I've finally got that dream guitar. But when I pull the '52 PV out it's like, "yeah, this is a killer guitar too" My first one has lost a good amount of the sticky feeling to the nitro and it plays better and better each day. But as you say the '64 is perfect out of the box. Maybe the '52 ages into a better guitar? :)

Put it this, after all the love I've given the '64 RI here the past 2 years I can honestly say if I had to pick my favorite '52 RI or favorite '64 RI I would have a VERY difficult time picking one over the other.

16. jsal362

jsal362 Tele-Holic

Fred, if the 58 had a neck that was more agreeable to you, how would you then say it stacks up to the other two?

17. FredDairy

Just as good. Great looking bodies, hardware, and pickups.

I have no room in my heart for a D profile neck. :twisted:

18. SkipParis

SkipParis Tele-Meister

I really don't have any trouble switching from neck to neck, I cut my teeth back in the early 60's on a Original 53 Burst that was like a baseball bat which I still have and pull out from time to time. My 2013 52 I just got back from having it Pleked and WOW it did make a huge difference in playability.

19. FredDairy

Looks like this thread died over a week ago. Just at 2 pages too! So the '52 PV is the redheaded step child of the PV series.

Since I started this thread I've been playing my '52 more and more. That combined with the chunkier neck on my Paisley builds I'm finding the '64 PV neck to be not as comfortable in the frets 1-5. I actually took my Sunburst model up to Chicago Music Exchange in hopes for a similar used '52 PV. But that place really isn't an "exchange" it more of a "you give us your guitar and 500 bucks then we make an exchange" type of place.

20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

It's just a matter of different strokes for different folks. I don't like chunkier necks in the least. The Medium U of the Wildwood Thin Skin 52s is about as chunky as I would like.

My VOS 58 Les Paul has a chunky neck which is tolerable but it's a totally different beast.

I am still happy with the 64 and have no desire for the 52 whatsoever although I would like to add a blackguard to my collection at some point.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.