52 hotrod tele neck pickup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Voodoochild501, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Voodoochild501

Voodoochild501 TDPRI Member

So this may seem silly, buy I'm going to buy a American standard telecaster and I want to put a mini humbucker in the neck like a 52 hotrod.From the Standard body's I have seen on eBay it looks as if it can be done with no body mods.. Is this true? And also I've went to the Seymour Duncan site And can not find the mini himbucker. I looked on eBay and found what looks to be the same pickup but it says it goes to a firebird.. Is that the same one? I believe it's called the vintage mini hum from SD. Thanks in advance for any info.

2. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

The pickup should be this one.

I do not know about the necessity of body mods however.

As I have mentioned in other threads, I have it in both the bridge and neck position of one of my teles and it sounds great!

[​IMG]

3. Voodoochild501

Yup that's it! I just can't find one that said its for a tele.. They all say for a Gibson..

4. Jassibi

Jassibi TDPRI Member

I put a HB in the neck of a 2004 American Series Tele which is the same routing as the current American Standards AFAIK. I got a SD Alnico 2, partly because the legs (which carry the screws) are shorter. If I had gone for a HB with longer legs I would have had to route some wood out of the cavity, though not much. Check dimensions on the Seymour Duncan site - unfortunately it seems this part of the site is broken at the moment (for me on this browser on this desktop)

5. TheMick

TheMick Tele-Meister

You could put one of these under a few strings on a piano if you wanted. The only reason the vendors say Gibson is because it's common on Gibson model guitars. Not a requirement for this pickup, however.
    As far as the body goes,try to find a picture of the body without a pick guard. That will help. You may even see if the guitar store will let you look before buying.

6. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

You want the Seymour Duncan SM-1N...(N for Neck).

The body rout in an American Standard Telecaster can accomodate a full size humbucker and will definitely take a mini-humbucker with no alteration necessary.

The only other modification made on the Hotrod 52 model is the use of 375k ohm pots as a compromise for the neck mini-humbucker.

7. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

It will not fit without modding the bridge. Edit: Why not just buy the 52 Hot Rod? I've got one, and it is AMAZING!! The neck is to die for, build quality is amazing.

8. telegibson

telegibson Tele-Meister

As an Off Topic, I would like to ask you if you can get a nice and warm jazz tone with that neck mini-Humbucker

9. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I've got this same project underway. Could I just use 500k pots with a resistor parallel to the cap?

Just trying to think what I have available. Anyone know a source right off hand to get 375k Alpha pots?

10. AnArmyOfJuan

AnArmyOfJuan Tele-Meister

On the SD site, it will indeed be listed as a Firebird pup, since that's what they were most commonly seen on.

As an aside, the route for a mini HB *should* be exactly the same as a P-90 route. After all, that's how Gibson came up with the form factor. That said, they mount differently, so you'll need a PG route with mounting holes, if you're mounting it to the PG.

ETA: actually, the route is the same as a P-90 if you include the mounting ring. It's different without the ring, I think.

11. chezdeluxe

Huh:confused::confused::confused:

I have both an American Standard Telecaster and a 52 Hotrod and I can't understand why you would say that.

Why does he need to mod the bridge on his American Standard Tele to fit a mini humbucker neck pickup as he proposes :?:

12. Jared Purdy

Yes, definately - with the right amp, like a Princeton, or anything with a good clean channel, such as: Mesa LSS ch.1, Victoria, most of the current Fender options, and many others.

13. Jared Purdy

I'm no expert, but the mini humbucker is larger and a different shape that the stock bridge PU. I can't see how it would fit without cutting part of the bridge to accomodate the rectangle shape. The ends of the stock PU are round the SD Mini are right angle, and wider. Also, the HB has mounting screws on each of the ends. They would have to be accomodated, no?

14. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Re-focus your attention please . . . . the discussion is concerning a mini-humbucker in the NECK position. Not in the bridge. Nothing to do with the bridge or the bridge pickup.

Now we return you to your regularly scheduled mini-bucker in a tele programming . . . .

15. Voodoochild501

Hahaha! Yes I'm wanting to put it in the neck position. Thanks for all the help guys, I just wanted to check here before I made any purchases, and to the question " why not just buy a 52 hotrod " well I would love too but it's kind of expensive for me right now. Maybe one day tho. Thanks again.

16. Jared Purdy

Beg your pardon, smart ass. I read the post as a bridge instalment. For a moment there I thought that I was on TGP. Another holier than $**t A hole reply from another smart a** moron.

17. chezdeluxe

So you misread the original post. Despite the fact that the word bridge does not even appear in the the original post you still couldn't figure out that you were in error when I attempted to set you straight in post# 11. Then you abuse someone who points out that you are continuing to misread the thread and have the audacity to refer to HIM as a moron. You're really on a roll. :rolleyes:

18. Old Has Been

Old Has Been Tele-Meister

Even though I also have an AVRI '52 Hot Rod, I replaced the neck pickup in my 1981 tele with a Seymour Duncan Vintage Mini-humbucker just because I love what it does. If you go to the SD website, the pickup should be listed as the SD Vintage Mini-humbucker, if I remember correctly. That's the one they use for the Hot Rod. Good luck. I think you'll be pleased with the results.

19. Five-O

Five-O Tele-Afflicted

Hey Voodoo, there are several over on the eBay now. Don't know if I should list auction numbers here, so just go to Musical Inst / Guitar Parts and type in "mini humbucker ", you'll see several, I was just over there.

20. Voodoochild501

Thanks I'll check that out!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.