52 hot rod question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Fireball519, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Holic

So I'm kind of digging the 52 Hot Rod Telecaster. But the problem is I've fallen in love with the new tele I got (many of you already have seen pics of it but I'll post another one ;)) I was wondering about specifically what the neck like on them. Through this new guitar of mine I've learned I'm most comfortable on a "baseball bat" neck. Should I look at adding a Hot Rod to the family or not?

2. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Holic

20210818_183552.jpg here's the new one again. As promised lol

TelePlank likes this.
  3. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Holic

No

4. Dacious

Dacious Doctor of Teleocity

The Hotrod has a neck very similar to the standard 52 but it's got the flatter 9.5" radius and bigger frets.

jamester and AxemanVR like this.
  5. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

+1. Only played one once but that’s my experience

6. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

I have a 52 Hot Rod (profile pic) and the neck is amazing. Mine measures .876 at the first fret and .928 at the 12th fret. The edges are rolled perfectly... not over-rolled like the current American Original series (the only reason I didn't buy one and bought the HR instead).

7. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

I had a 52 hot rod tele, I wouldn’t classify it as having a baseball bat neck. Maybe a thick C shape but far from a fat U shape. The American original 52 has a way bigger than my hot rod did. Like noticeably bigger neck.

8. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Holic

Thanks for the advice guys! I may do a hot rod conversion on my current tele. But then again it sounds perfect (to me) as it is

9. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I put a 2011 Fender AV ‘52 Telecaster “Hot Rod” neck on my 2003 Fender AV ‘52 Tele because I wanted the modern fretboard radius and larger frets.

I also prefer fat necks, and while the Hot Rod neck is certainly fat by today’s standards, it certainly isn’t the the fattest I’ve played. All I can say is that it fills my hand nicely.

It may be too fat for some people, but, unless a person likes super thin necks, I’d say the Hot Rod neck sits squarely between the two extremes...

8FBF4631-628C-404D-BE4A-1FC1F000D2BB.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.