52 Hot Rod Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Nicky B, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

All 50s style teles have one piece maple necks,no seperate fretboards.

EuroBailey likes this.
  2. jc93230

jc93230 Tele-Holic

Yes gearhead i did post that. As it turns out, when they got the case out of the back of the store they accidentally gave me the case for the 52 re issue. So while my vhr 52 came with it, it was by accident

3. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

It appears Gearhead88 that you got the case and contents for a standard AV52RI which as a reissue rightfully came with an ashtray cover. They also came with the appropriate parts to wire them from vintage correct to "modern" pickup selection and an optional 6 saddle bridge.

4. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

My hot rod came with the 52ri case .. Obviously a mistake by the guys at guitar centre

5. Gearhead88

Gearhead88 Tele-Holic

I bought it used from my favourite local music store , it was traded in about three years ago . I happened to be in the right place at the right time as it had only been there a short time , the guitar was mint ! I had to have it and put it on layaway . At the time , I was on reduced hours at work and was forced to pay it off $200 here , $150 there, as I could afford to , Christmas was close , my sweetie knew I was paying off something at the music store , she went in and paid the last $ 400 so I could have it for the holidays.

6. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I just got this Hot Rod for Valentines day.
    [​IMG]

irie likes this.
  7. jc93230

jc93230 Tele-Holic

Welcome to the Club! Beautiful guitar!

8. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Thanks

9. TeleFanForLife

TeleFanForLife TDPRI Member

Sign me up, I just scored this via local CL. 2008 52 Hot Rod Tele.

previous owner swapped out the SD for a Lollar mini HB. sounds good to me. Guitar was disgustingly filthy/grungy. I did a deep clean on it and took it in for a proper setup. I just got it back from my guitar tech and he did a beautiful job. Play nice now, sounds even better. This puts me at 5 tele's. Why not, life's short.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. djwood

djwood TDPRI Member

I just joined the club last week. Found a 52VHR on Reverb and am really happy with it. Has some dings and missing the tweed case, but the more I play it the more I like it. I have an American Std that I've swapped pickups and bridge hardware on and made it quite nice in its own right, but this guitar is special.

[​IMG]

11. gattiswm

gattiswm TDPRI Member

The guitar looks great. I love mine. Hope you get as much enjoyment from yours.

12. djwood

djwood TDPRI Member

Ok, so I have a question... has anyone here replaced the tuners? I'm only on my first set of strings (10-46), but I'm seeing just the slightest bit of tuning instability. I've used the vintage style tuners like these before, and I'm pretty good with my setups as far as it goes. Wondering what others have seen.

13. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

So this is a tad embarrassing... I have always used the neck pick up only on my 83 tele and as a result was really only using the neck humbucker on my hot rod... I was mucking around today and started using the bridge... I didn't really what a beast it is ... nice find.. if not a little late ...

14. gattiswm

gattiswm TDPRI Member

I have not had any tuning problems with mine. It has been very stable. I don't typically stretch my strings when I change them. I put them on, tune up a couple of times and let them sit over night. I retune in the morning. They may be slightly unstable at first but usually not. I tune up normally and play.

I don't have any science to back this up, but I believe the strings last longer when I do this. The guitar itself has been very stable.

15. djwood

djwood TDPRI Member

That's good to hear. I just realized that when I originally changed the strings on mine I didn't go through all of my usual steps (I usually add just a little graphite in my string slots), so maybe that's what I was seeing... I changed them again last night and did my usual thing, so I'll know more tonight!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  16. Steely Glen

Steely Glen TDPRI Member

I've had my 52 HR for about five years now and love it. I just recently took some Meguiar's Scratch X to the back of the neck and it buffed out to an amazingly slick glossy finish. Wish I had done that years ago. I love this guitar, pictured below next to my CIJ 62 Custom Reissue.

[​IMG]

djwood likes this.
  17. jc93230

jc93230 Tele-Holic

Great looking vhr! Your grain is awesome. Mine is quite a lot cloudier than that.

Steely Glen likes this.
  18. gattiswm

gattiswm TDPRI Member

I do the graphite thing as well. I mark the nut slots with pencil when I change strings to prevent binding at the nut. Seems to work well and costs almost nothing.

djwood likes this.
  19. tele_jas

tele_jas Tele-Afflicted

It's taken about 10 years of GAS, but I'm finally "in the club"!

[​IMG]

irie, Southpole and ast370 like this.
  20. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

Congrats I was jamming on mine a few minutes ago. They don't get old to play. So clear your schedule and have a go!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.