52 Hot Rod Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Nicky B, Nov 13, 2008.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Ok, I've done a fair bit of surfing the web about gold foil pickups. First of all, I was right about the DeArmond moustache pickups in my old Harmony Silhouette being gold foils. I remember that guitar fondly, but it's been decades since I've played it/heard them. And back in the day I had a cheap practice amp, which doesn't help matters.

And I was right, they were single coils, kind of a P-90 size. From what I found online, AllParts and Lollar make gold foils, and they are single coils as well. Is there such a thing as a gold foil humbucker? Does anyone else make gold foils?

2. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

3. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What about this Little Crow?

4. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Purchased a telecaster from GC on holidays in NYC in May 2012.

At the time I was pretty naive about all the variations in telecasters and purely chose this as it was the nicest to play and I loved the look.

I believed it was a 52 reissue (& this was what I was told) & I'm
    Guessing not the newer American vintage models - I thought my current fender was wired in the vintage way as it came with a circuit to change it modern wiring and instructions.....

When I sent the serial number that is on the bridge plate to fender they sent back the following specs (there was a different serial number attached to a tag on the guitar).

I believed I paid about 1600-1800 U.S. .

Hello David,
    I show serial (XN)76508 attached to an American Vintage Telecaster in Butterscotch Blonde from 04/2012, made in the US. The only thing I notice that wasn't original is that Seymour Duncan in the neck position.

Model Name: American Vintage ‘52 Telecaster
    Model Number: 010-0202-(850)
    Series: American Vintage Series
    Body: Premium Ash Body
    Neck: 1-Piece Maple, “U” Shape,
    (Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)
    Fingerboard: Maple, 7.25” Radius (184 mm)
    Frets: 21 Vintage Style Frets
    Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)
    Nut: 1.650” (42 mm)
    Hardware: Nickel/Chrome
    Machine Heads: Fender®/Gotoh® Vintage Style Tuning Machines
    Bridge: Original Vintage Tele Bridge with 3 Brass Saddles
    Pickguard: 1-Ply Black Bakelite, (5-Hole)
    Pickups: 2 American Vintage Tele® Single-Coil Pickups
    Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade:
    Position 1. Bridge Pickup
    Position 2. Neck Pickup with Tone Control (Bright Vintage Circuit)
    Position 3. Neck Pickup with No Tone Control (Dark Vintage Circuit)
    Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
    Colors: (850) Butterscotch Blonde,
    (Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)
    (806) Black, Disc. 1/2000 (1-Ply White on (806)* Black)
    (884) Copper, Disc. 1/2001

Strings: Fender Super 250R, Nickel Plated Steel,
    Gauges: (.010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046),
    P/N 073-0250-006
    Case: Vintage Tweed Hardshell Case, P/N 0023637000
    Other Features: “U” Shape Maple Neck,
    Black Dot Position Inlays,
    Vintage styling,
    Synthetic Bone Nut
    Source: U.S.
    Accessories: Vintage Tweed Case,
    Strap,
    Cable,
    Modern Six-Saddle Bridge,
    “Ash Tray” Bridge Cover,
    Capacitor and Wiring Diagram (For Updating to Modern Switching Circuit)

The only variations is that my tele came with a humbucker in the neck where as the specs above suggest it didn't come with this??

Any thoughts ? Let me know if you need closer pics of the frets etc?

Attached Files:

5. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

^^^^^^
    Take the pickguard off. The 52 Hotrod body is specifically routed to the size of the Seymour Duncan neck pickup. The original finish of the guitar should be applied over that routing if it started life as a Hotrod. If the routing is done after the finish was applied then you have a guitar that was altered later to accomodate the Seymour Duncan.

Also the Hotrod 52 was only modern wiring and did not come with an alternative wiring kit and instructions as you say came with your guitar. That could be because you were given the wrong case (you mention the tag serial number does not match the number on the bridge) . Perhaps you can ask Fender what guitar the tag serial number is for.

The hotrod as it came from Fender had compensated, slanted bridge saddles, a 9.5 inch radius fingerboard with medium jumbo frets, 375k Ohm pots instead of 250k Ohm and a bridge pickup with reverse polarity (but not wind) to put it in phase with the Duncan pickup.

If you feel confident enough to remove the neck you should find stamped marks on the heel and in the neckpocket saying "hotrod"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  6. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Thanks cheZ -

Rather then me playing around with it, I think next time I get it serviced I will get them to check under the neck and pickguard as you have mentioned. Your advice is really helpful. Thank you !

7. chezdeluxe

Mate undo 5 screws and lift the pickguard just a little..easy as pie and no damage done. That will give you a clear indication from the lacquer in the neck pickup rout as to whether it started life as a Hotrod or a garden variety 52 RI. Cheers Gerry.

8. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

What about the pick up screws? These just lift and lower the pickup? Or keep turning until they come out? Sorry....

9. chezdeluxe

Those screws are attaching the pickup to the pickguard. As you lift the pickguard the pickup will come with it . No need to touch those screws at all. The wire from the pickup will be attached to the switch and a pot so don't lift the pickguard too far and put stress on the solder joints. Just enough so you can have a look at the routing in the body for the neck pickup. Even if you just tilt the pickguard up on the bottom E string side you can shine a torch underneath it and on to the rout.

Tip.....Loosening the strings but not removing them will probably give you enough room to take a peek using the tilt method. Good luck. I will send you a Private Message with my mobile number if you want to talk over anything.

Cheers Gerry

10. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Your '52 Hotrod should look something like this under the hood.

DSCN0387.jpg

DSCN0399.jpg

11. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

So - I emailed guitar centre and asked if that had a copy of receipt / purchase and here is there reply.....

David,

If the guitar has a Seymour Duncan mini humbucker in the neck position, it's the 52 Hot Rod. This is a great guitar and costs a little more than the normal 52 reissue. You could get a 52 neck pickup and a new pickguard and change this over to a normal 52, if you wanted.

If your address is .....xxxxxxxxx...... (or was when you bought the guitar), then I found your original invoice, and yes, you purchased a 52 Hot Rod.

Best,

Robb Tennant
    Guitar Center Union Square

I am a hot rod owner haha!

12. chezdeluxe

Welcome aboard. You are among very discerning shipmates....:D

13. Question

Question TDPRI Member

Mini HB Problem 52' Hot Rod Tele

I bought a used 52' HR and have a problem with my neck SD mini Hum Pick up, maybe someone can help.

When picking the low E-string, it seems to move slightly out of the magnetic field of the pickup, particularly when picking an "up-stroke", thus making the low E lose volume and attack.

I have seen a few others mention this problem in this 52 owners thread without any solution.

The pickup is not perfectly centered ( a mm or 2) so I removed the pick-guard and experimented by reoriented the pickup into a more precise position.

I can't seem to find a position which perfectly encompasses both high and low "E's";when the low "E" is correct the high "E" suffers slightly.

I spoke to Lollar pickups and he said that since the SD Mini hum is made for a slightly narrower Gibson spacing it needs to be centered perfectly for it to work properly.

I thought about trying a Lollar Mini Hum, but actually like the original SD pickup, and can't be sure that the Lollar will solve this issue.

I have also experimented with pickup height angle, etc..

Anyone with this issue find a solution?
    Thanks!

14. Question

Question TDPRI Member

Thanks to Jason Lollar in another thread, and flipping the pickup around, I have concluded that the SD mini Hum is defective.

So, off to buy a Lollar mini Hum.

15. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

First impressions of new/used HR, and a buzz/shielding question

I posted the below on the Telecaster Discussion Forum, so apologies to very avid readers. But my enthusiasm is cranked, so I'm eager for any feedback.

Hot Rod Issue, Telenation version, with Seymour Duncan '59 humbucker in neck, Custom Vintage Tele in bridge, 9.5" neck.

The guitar arrived Friday. First impressions: "And you, and you, and you, and you were there!" Meaning, Oh, MAMA, what a tone-beast this thing is!

Maybe I will tire of the SD '59 in the neck and want to try a different PU there, but I can't imagine that now. It's a great humbucker on its own, at least in the winding/version for this guitar. The bridge pickup is fierce indeed--hotter, to me, than Tele bridge PU's I've heard/used before.

And the two pickups blended are just amazing. They don't just offset each other's weaknesses well (the humbucker's mud vs. the bridge's icepick). They make their own dynamic, as if you're playing a very responsive guitar wrestling both extremes into something distinctly different. There's plenty of the Tele twang--but, blended, it's thick and chewy. And plenty of the throaty humbucker sound--but, blended, it's (much!) clearer and sharp-edged. The guitar is very pick-/finger-attack sensitive, especially in the blended position, and has sustain like crazy. The thick strings (I think they're 10.5's or 11's) really fit this kind of Tele.

Some of this might be the thing's physical size and solidity. The body seems much thicker and heavier than either the one on my own Am. Std. Tele, and on my friend's Am. Deluxe version. And the 9.5", U-shaped neck nicely wrestles back. My hands are average, but I do like this neck's extra room to angle, push, pull, mute. It's like a big ol Martin dreadnought's neck, with all the possibilities that kind of neck offers. It's also a one-piece thing, with no fingerboard on the maple itself. But I like that, as I just love how Fender shapes that neck to begin with.

Once I blaspheme this thing with a Bigsby (sorry, lads!), my grail shall be with me, lo and verily.

It also does a fascinating job with my Excelsior Pro amp. Yeah, I'd love a Victoria one day, but in the meantime, I can't believe how much more vivid the Excelsior sounds now. It's got a ringing depth that no other guitar (the other Teles, a Strat, an E-335 copy, a baritone, etc.) ever brought out/found in this amp. I found the Excelsior's mid-switch setting, which is very nice. But this particular Tele works best on the amp's dark setting, since even on just humbucker setting, attacking the strings over the bridge PU cranks up a lot of chime and edge. (Anyone use this with a Vox AC15? We have one, but I haven't had a chance to use it w/ this guitar yet.)

My only complaint is the traditional Tele bridge on it. The plate's sides do get in my style's way, and those saddle screws have fangs. Since I'm gonna put a Bigsby on it anyway that's not an issue. But even if I weren't, I'd have to swap out the stock bridge. To me, it would be very limiting.

My only question is about its buzzing/hum. I have Electro-Harmonix's Hum De-Bugger, which works great, though I haven't had a chance to rig it up w/ this guitar yet. If buzz is still a problem, could this be a shielding issue? Does this Tele version have that problem notoriously? If it is a shielding issue, can most techs fix that, and if so, how much does that usually cost?

SO nice to find Home On the Grail Trail....

16. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

Just a quick q for all the hot rod owners. Does anyone also own an AVRI 64 tele? And I guess I would like to know if the two guitars are that sonically different or if I should buy a 64 just to have another tele?!

Thanks

17. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

I guess the hotrod 52 is it and all that's needed lol.

18. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Just curious...I guess you could say I have a question, Question. :rolleyes:

Did you get the mini-hum situation sorted? Did you get that Lollar? Have you received it and installed it since last month? What do you think of it?

19. jc93230

jc93230 Tele-Holic

Home with my VHR52 tonight. Kids and wife are in bed for the night. Enjoying this amazing guitar that i have done nothing to except play the snot out of it. It just keeps delivering what i want and getting better. No mods, no complaints. This one is just right!

20. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Any advice on apparent ground/shielding problem?

When I'm not touching any metal on the guitar, my '52 Hot Rod RI (Telebration model, w/ the '59SD in the neck) buzzes like crazy in the bridge-only position, somewhat in the blended position, and barely at all in the neck. This gets worse when the amp &/or guitar are dialed up, in about even measures. I understand that buzzing is inherent in single coils, and I am playing this thing, and my amp, dialed way up. But, still, it seems excessive, and will get in the way of recording we're set to do soon.

I use Electro-Harmonix's Hum De-Bugger, which works great. It kills all the florescent-light sounding, thinner buzz that single-coils can produce. But the remaining, when-dialed-up buzz is of a beefier, harder sort.

So is this a grounding or shielding issue, or possibly both? Is it readily fixable by a tech? (l'm 9.5 thumbs when it comes to gizmo-ing.)

Otherwise: This guitar is grail for me. Such growling chime and velvet warmth, and everything in between. The neck '59 hb is very round(ing), but I've been surprised how much I like the stock bridge PU by itself. It can scorch fat. And the guitar has such sustain generally that it's amazingly touch-sensitive--which makes its beefiness even better. It feels like you can get under the notes and inside the chords. It's pushed my modest Excelsior Pro into pushing around the ghosts.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.