52 Hot Rod Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Nicky B, Nov 13, 2008.

1. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

^^^^^^

Better intonation. That G/D saddle slants in a reverse direction deliberately to accommodate a plain G and a wound D. Unfortunately it could not be flipped over to work for wound G and D strings because it is flat on the bottom. Hence I went with a straight saddle to get reasonable intonation on both strings.

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

chezdeluxe, I fixed it for ya! ;) :p

Because your post became the first one on a new page in this thread, your "^^^^^" did not readily let us know what you were responding to. So, after I backed up a page to read the post previous to yours, I decided to just post it here on page 25 as well, for the convenience of others reading this thread.

3. LGOberean

Back before Christmas, I asked about minihumbuckers other than SDs used for hot rod builds/mods. I was particularly interested to see if any here have used Rob DiStephano's Cavalier Phoenix Firebird pup. I also was interested to know what was paired up with that in the bridge. Since nearly 2 weeks have gone by without a response to my query, I'll try again.

I have posted to this thread in the past about GASing for a custom hot rod, but I would definitely want to use something other than the SD brand of pups. Any input would be appreciated.

4. chezdeluxe

Thanks Larry, Happy New Year and all the best for 2015, Gerry.

Sorry but I can't help about Rob's pickups but lots of folks love them.

5. LGOberean

Thanks, Gerry. And Rob's pups aside for the moment, are there any others you'd recommend?

6. chezdeluxe

Sorry Larry my recommendation would be Seymour Duncan so I don't think I can help.

Cheers Gerry

7. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

What isn't to love about the stock sd mini? seriously though I like mine stock so I am not one to recommend a replacement. I am not saying they aren't out there though. #participationpoints

8. LGOberean

I don't know if that "what's not to love" comment was directed at me, but I have my own personal reasons for not using SD products. Also, part of it has to do with the fact that a hot rod/mini-hum configuration for me would come in the form of a custom build, so I have options from the get go.

9. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

The what's not to love comment was not directed completely at you it was mostly a sarcasm pointing out that lots of people attempt to replace the mini with something. Much like every other pickup in every guitar gets swapped at sometime it seems. I wasn't pointing at anyone's personal reasons for anything. I just happen to like the sound of the original mini and don't pay much attention to the maker. I hope you find the sound your looking for.

10. LGOberean

I'm not one to mod things, so I can relate to leaving things stock. I'm generally not one to buy on impulse, so when I pull the trigger, I am getting something I'm pretty sure about, and usually it turns out that I'm happy with what I've purchased, and I just leave well enough alone.

With this, it's different because I won't do SD brand pickups. Best not to get into my reasons here. Suffice it to say that's just the way it is.

11. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I still kick myself for not grabbing one brand new for $875 when I had a chance a few years ago. Such a great playing and sounding Tele. So are the Hot Rods still being axed?

12. rnrmf

rnrmf TDPRI Member

AFAIK they already have been. What's left in stock at dealers will be the last of them.

On a side note, I've replaced the SD Hot Lead Stack I had in the bridge worth a SD CS BG1400. Wow, amazing! Takes the edge out, BIG sound, and balances sweetly with the neck. I've since ordered one for my Am Std that has been Esquired also.

13. LGOberean

$875 sounds like a heckuva deal. If you couldn't swing it at the time, I can understand that, but I can also understand how that missed opportunity is a regret today.

So I knew the AV 52 Hot Rod with the mini is discontinued, but now it looks like what replaced it is gone as well. At least, I couldn't find it on Fender's site or in a Google search. What's with Fender on models going in and out of style, anyway? :confused:

14. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I was finding myself drawn to the pedal steel, which I did wind up getting, and am still playing, so getting another tele just seemed to be counter productive if I was going to seriously pursue the steel. Still, it 's a great guitar!

Seems Fender has done away with lots of good sellers. I never really did mind that, I guess cause there are lots to choose from, and it seems they bring them back around in some form, anyway. But of course, some things aren't the same...like the Wideranger humbuckers in the old Customs and Thinlines. Those were sweet.

15. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

16. chezdeluxe

^^^^^
    That will be fine if the '' Goldfoil'' pickup dimensions are equal to or smaller than the mini humbucker. The 52 Hotrod is specifically routed for the minihum.

17. LGOberean

Hadn't thought of gold foils. I don't know too much about them, I'll have to look into that. I remember some mention of them in another thread not long ago, and that got me curious, but I'm still not well versed on these pickups. I guess I wasn't thinking along those lines because I was thinking minihumbucker not single coil.

As I said earlier, what I have in mind for a hot rod is not modding an existing guitar but having Bob Logan build a custom guitar for me. So the routing for a neck pickup won't be an issue.

18. chezdeluxe

In that case Larry I would have the neck routed to accommodate a full sized humbucker and then you can load a P90, a Minihum/Firebird or a Full size hum or heaven forbid a single coil with simply the change of a pickguard. All the best Gerry.

19. LGOberean

Haven't had much chance to investigate gold foils yet, but it occurs to me that the first electric I ever played (Harmony Silhouette) had those DeArmond "moustache" pickups. If memory serves, they had gold foil inserts. But I think those were single coil pups. Just trying to get a frame of reference here.

20. Handley

Handley Tele-Meister

Accidentally new to the club.

Here is my AVRI 52 Hot Rod I bought accidentally.
    The story...
    It was listed online (used music gear selling site) for $1200 and described as a "Thin Skin" tele. Specs listed in the description were "cut and paste" from Wildwood's details of what is left of their Thin Skin tele's including 9.5 radius. Seller said the pickups had been changed to CS Nocasters (which I would have done myself), there were also Fender compensated saddles (another plus).

Thinking a Thin Skin tele for $1200 was a great deal I snatched it up. Once the guitar arrived I started setting it up. Took the pick guard off and saw an oversized hole in the neck position. It had factory paint on the inside so it couldn't be a personal customization. Didn't have the "Thin Skin" limited edition serial number on either the neck or bridge plates. When I took the neck off to straighten out the truss rod I saw a "Hot Rod Nitro" sticker and started to think I had been duped with a partscaster.

While emailing my gripes to the seller I did a set-up, converted it to 50s wiring, and played the thing through my home built 5E3. The guitar actually felt and sounded great, intonation was spot on, and it had all the specs I was looking for in the Thin Skin.

The seller apologized for the mistake (just didn't know the subtleties of the limited run Thin Skin vs Hot Rod) but thought it was still a decent price for the guitar. Once I got over my "it's the principle of the thing" frustration, read up on the Hot Rod, and played it for a while I decided to keep it. I love the Nocaster pickups in there which doesn't make it a true Hot Rod, but if I ever want to switch out the pickup in the future I like knowing the larger neck rout gives more options.

Gigged with it last weekend and played the entire time straight into my 5E3. I've sold my Gretsch 6120RHH because the AVRI 52 has the sound and feel I have been looking for. It's my new #1 guitar, accidentally.

Here's a pic.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.