52 Hot Rod Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Nicky B, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Iceman

Iceman Tele-Holic

Lefty loosey. :lol:

Not to be a smart azzz....counter-clockwise will give it more relief.

2. gattiswm

gattiswm TDPRI Member

Just curious to ask owners of the 52 Hot Rod Tele what modifications have you made or would like to make to your axe and why. As for me, all I have done is to change the stock strap buttons with Schaller strap locks. To supplement the strap locks, I have an Eldorado plain vintage strap. Easily worth the money and ultra comfortable. Other than that, my Hot Rod is stock. I like it the way it is, but maybe I'm missing an opportunity to improve.

3. Abe

Abe Tele-Meister

Don't change it unless you find a shortcoming. Thinking there's something better out there without a goal in mind is a futile effort. Play the guitar. If something needs to be changed, it will become apparent. Wait for the guitar to tell you it needs something before you bring out the tools!

4. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Straplocks, an electrosocket and a straight saddle for the G/B strings because I use a wound G string..... But hey every one of my Teles is modified the same way. :cool:

5. gattiswm

gattiswm TDPRI Member

Agreed! I most likely will not change anything more than I already have, but you have to admit there a some pretty smart people with some pretty cool ideas. Doesn't hurt to canvas any thoughts and of course take the opportunity to discuss this great instrument.

I made a couple of changes to my strat. Didn't like the noiseless pickups. Purchased some SD Texas Antiquities, a new pickguard, and all of the pots and switches. I had never soldiered anything in my life. I got a diagram off the SD website and put it together. Worked the first time I plugged in and it sounded great. Still have the original pickguard. It will only take a couple of soldiers to restore to stock. Additionally, I changed the strings from .009s to .010s and reset the intonation using the instructions from the Fender website. Again, this is completely reversible.

6. gattiswm

gattiswm TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply. I had never heard of the electrosocket. Sounds like a great product and from reading some TDPRI posts, not too difficult to install.

7. hotrod52

hotrod52 TDPRI Member

Congrats. Don't change anything. Just adjust your pickups. This is the best tele and most versatile I've ever owned

8. Paulie13

Paulie13 Tele-Holic

I had no idea the version with the Seymour Duncan mini bucker was no longer offered. Just realized this after looking for it online. Anyone know why Fender made those change?

I'm not as big a fan of the new versions specs compared to the original. No way I'm ever getting rid of my 2009 52HR

9. rnrmf

rnrmf TDPRI Member

I actually love the feel of the new HR50's. But... our Fender rep was in today and tells me the whole VHR series is being axed! :( My favourite models in the entire Fender stable will be going bye bye.

10. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

that's unfortunate. I really liked those models too. I own the 52 hot rod and a 62 hot rod strat. It seems that when I would go looking for a guitar in recent times the HR series always had what I wanted. Maybe they are just trying to get the direct order models some attention with certain choices, those guitars could be similar to hot rods.

11. rnrmf

rnrmf TDPRI Member

That's all well and good if you're in the US... many of us aren't.

12. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

I was merely speculative at the reasons fender would pull the guitars. I am disappointed that the hr series is going away as much as anyone from anywhere

13. rnrmf

rnrmf TDPRI Member

Sorry, that wasn't a go at you. If that is the thinking from FMIC then it ignores much of the world that doesn't have access to the direct purchasing that Fender seem to be bringing in... I'd love to be able to order through the American Design... all I want next is a silverburst tele!

14. Bush

Bush TDPRI Member

I'm going to be selling my 2012 Fender American Vintage '52 HotRod Telecaster.
    I'm asking $1375 plus shipping costs.
    PM if interested.

image-4070302696.jpg

image-3188070216.jpg

image-3588043588.jpg

image-1699065849.jpg

image-1059091453.jpg

image-3055896284.jpg

image-3773272137.jpg

image-1180521691.jpg

image-4180193658.jpg

image-4141938438.jpg

15. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I've never found the need for one on an American Fender.. A shallow jack cup allies the use of any cord and still maintains the vintage vibe that you loose with a electro socket.

16. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I always assumed that the new hot rods were released to coincide with the new PV/AV line. To bad they priced them so high.. I ended up with 3 of them after the price was cut in half.. Two 60s, Oly white and sunburst and the 50s. Got the Oly white 60s first and was surprised by how great the neck was.. The 50s came next again because of the neck and I ended up snatching a sunburst 60s as well.

17. Bush

Bush TDPRI Member

SOLD

18. Bush

Bush TDPRI Member

SOLD

19. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I vaguely recall that some here have used some mini in the neck other than the SD. What I can't recall is if anyone has used a Firebird. If so, paired with what in the bridge? What about Rob DiStephano's Cavalier Phoenix Firebird pup?

As I was typing Rob's name, it occurred to me that I could search the thread with his name/product name as the search parameter. But since I was already typing it out, I decided to just go ahead and ask.

20. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

What does a straight saddle do for the wound G? I used a Daddario 11-49 set with a wound G but I still have stock saddles on mine. I do have some intonation issues but I get by.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.