52 Hot Rod Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Nicky B, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Nicky B

Nicky B Tele-Meister

Hey everyone

I noticed that we who like vintage teles, but also like when our brew can be a bit more hot n heavy ;) don't have a place to stay on the forum, so i decided to open up the 52 hot rod club.
    Share pics, say why you like it, any history and stories about it, how you got it, etc. Pretty much whatever you like about this amazing guitar.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Ill start

I got this one election day at Manny's. I went in to fix my recent 52 RI, and when i learned that the buzzing was inoperable (improperly planed neck :neutral:), i was either gonna replace with another 52 ri or this. After playing it and having everyone i talked to recommend it over the RI, including another telecaster playing customer, I finally pulled the trigger on it. Fantastic guitar.

Great playability and sound, overdrives my blues Jr very well, more then a 52ri could. Good feel and clean sound too, and acoustically superb.And lets not forget looks to die for.

Here are some crappy cell pics-
    1113081744.jpg

1113081744a.jpg

1113081744b.jpg

Also, the guitar had a trial by fire with me today when i auditioned for soundscapes. I played Closer to the heart and did some improv. Did well on the neck setting, even with the crappy amp they had available to us.
    At the audition, everyone seemed to like it a lot.
    Post and enjoy!!!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. fancychords

fancychords Tele-Holic

I got mine this past july and I can't put it down...I've had in the past a Baja a nocaster, and I like the hot rod the best...

3. bloos66

bloos66 TDPRI Member

I bought a 52RI Hot Rod in August 07 as a present to myself for deciding to give learning the guitar one last serious shot. I spent weeks looking at all the options, Gibson vs Fender, Strat vs Tele, 335 (childhood favourite) - and in the end decided to go for the Hot Rod. And I am proud to say that it's being played almost every day.

I am still a beginner, and all my guitar playing friends tell me what a great guitar it is, and they occasionally borrow it for a show or rehearsal, and the sounds they get out of it will take me years to perfect - which is ok, I have time - and lots of fun playing.

4. adamjs69

adamjs69 Tele-Holic

I've been lurking around this board for a while now and I've been saying for almost a year that I'm gonna buy this or I'm gonna buy that and just generally joining in the conversation...all without actually currently OWNING a Tele (I have owned three of them in the past along with COUNTLESS other guitars). My birthday is Wednesday and I swear that I'm gonna buy the Hot Rod as a little B-Day present to myself before the end of the month. My best friend works for a Fender dealer and said he would get me one at cost so I' just waiting to hear back from him to find out what cost actually is (about 1/2 of list, I believe) and for him to take down my CC number. I'll be joining this little club soon:D

BTW, does the Hot Rod come with the ashtray? It doesn't say it does in the specs but it looks good on there, I think

5. bloos66

bloos66 TDPRI Member

No 'ashtray' for my Hot Rod, and the few other ones I've seen in shops didn't have one either. It's a beautiful guitar, you'll love it...

6. Twang Man

Twang Man Tele-Holic

can I join if I have a 52ri 'thin skin'? or is it hotrod only?

7. marty h

marty h Tele-Meister

Here,s mines .i bought it late 2007.Changed bridge plate and saddles to Glendale.Will put it back to original plate and saddles.Real good guitar to
    get down with.

Attached Files:

8. lanelec

lanelec TDPRI Member

I am crazy about this guitar. with my 57 deluxe it is a match made in tone heaven,It is hard for me to put it down it has a certain vibe to it. hard to expalain .

9. sapi

sapi Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

I'm in! But definitely guilty of modding as usual.

Reverse control plate.
    No-load tone pot.
    PIO Russian cap .047.
    4 way switch.
    Jason Lollar Firebird neck.
    Don Mare Tweed Monster bridge.

Very worth it IMHO. The tone is more in the vintage ballpark now so to speak, but the oomph is still there in spades. This guitar holds its own against my 60th Ann very well - as you can see! Er, the 60th is modded too :twisted:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  10. sapi

sapi Tele-Meister

Marty your guitar shines like a mirror! Beautiful.
    Nicky i'm happy you got it, enjoy bro!

11. marty h

marty h Tele-Meister

Thanks Sapi.I bring it to work with me.Next hitch,I,ll bring my Les Paul with me.Work
    at sea ,Keeps my sanity.lol

12. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Does a case of extreme GAS count? Sapi, the Lollar Firebird is a stroke of genius, WHEN I get one of these that's the one mod I'll definitely be doing,,beautiful

13. sapi

sapi Tele-Meister

Thank you TS, really i changed the stock neck pu cos i found out it was a SD SM-2 neck and AFAIK it should be the vintage SM-1. It was a bit too hot for my taste - ceramic mag. And i wanted 4 way switching so i got it in 4 conductor wiring from Jason who was very helpful.
    BTW the Lollar Firebird is very slightly longer and wider so you'll have to file the pickguard a bit. It sounds very vintagey, thick and powerful but almost single coil like, very clear and useable.
    The Don Mare Tweed bridge gave me more highs in a nice way. Nothing shrill. Lots of character, more twang than stock. The bass is tight. Put a TS 808 in there and it really sings.
    Together with the 4 way it's tonal heaven and very balanced. All settings are very useable and that's something i look for, otherwise - no.
    The no-load tone pot adds that little extra zing when it's totally bypassed, you can hear that.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  14. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

Sapi, you have two beautiful guitars, I've played both and I'm drooling over that photo.

I love the reverse control plates, I did that to mine as well.

15. sapi

sapi Tele-Meister

Hey thank you ;-) Where's your guitar ;) we wanna see it!

I went for a lower wind Don Mare 4709 in the 60th Ann and a hotter DM Tweed Monster in the HR. That's for a bit of different tonal options, same reason for different neck pu's, frets, radius, etc.

16. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

Sorry, mine isn't a HotRod. One day...

17. Nicky B

Nicky B Tele-Meister

Is the 60th anniversary unique in any way when you got it stock? (different neck, pups, etc)

18. Durockrolly

Durockrolly TDPRI Member

Here's mine!

[​IMG]

19. sapi

sapi Tele-Meister

AFAIK the neck is more of a U shape, rolled slightly at the edge, more vintage (thinner) frets, 7.25 radius, Nocaster pickups. Vol pot is standard 250k unlike the HR which is 375k. As regards hardware it's non-compensated brass saddles and one-slotted screws.

20. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I got mine just about a month ago. Returned an AV52RI for it. Main complaint was 7.25 rad fingerboard. I love the tone of the hotrod bridge pup. I like the neck pup but not as much as the neck pup after modern wiring mod on the 52RI. Its a bit of a negative that the body of the hotrod tele is heavier than my 52RI. But not as much of a concern with me as the 7.25 rad fingerboard. I love the hotrod and it is a keeper but I'd like a 52RI with a 9.5 rad fingerboard. Probably have to build one myself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.