1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'52 Broadcaster on Craigslist?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by westex93, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Muddybuchfan

Muddybuchfan Tele-Meister

I wrote the seller and here was the English language challenged response:
    am located in Copperas Cove, I don't offer personal collection. If you are interested to buy my Fender the total price is $7500, shipping and insurance included. I will receive your payment after you will receive the Fender at your address this way you can inspect it properly before buy.
    Let me know and I will do my best to help you.

I Don't offer personal collections either.... WHAT DID HE SAY!!!! I think I would run as fast and as far as I could with my $7500....like a roadrunner. Now I am going to go play Bo's song and have some fun!

2. Parma_TeleMon

Parma_TeleMon Friend of Leo's

Seems reasonable.

3. pcosmo

pcosmo TDPRI Member

Nicky B....I couldn't have said it any better...and I was tempted....so now that you've let the cat out of the bag........

Alot of the prior posts seem to say that "craigslist" is a nightmare....Alot of people are raggin on ebay also...not so much here, but in general, it seems in vogue to be suspicious, mean, resentful and ignorant......

I'm with you guys in wanting to be careful and cautious as there are LOTS of fakes and fraudulant people......but give it a break...craigslist is just an agengy that brings us LOTS of good stuff too.....I've found some great stuff there....

could be just an incorrect decal.....could be a parts guitar, could be a transition broadcaster.....could be lots of things. Leo didn't throw stuff away..

I remember seeing a Statocaster on ebay for $400...It had a blue peace sign sort of hologram type of thing on the back of the guitar. Nobody I knew had ever seen such a thing....wish I'd bought it...worth about $50K...

Peace...

4. pcosmo

pcosmo TDPRI Member

52 Broadcaster

just FYI.....on page 68 of Tom Wheelers "American Guitars", it states...

"after Dec 1950 the Telecaster generally replaced the Broadcaster; rare exceptions include Broadcasters dated as late as August 1952"

I'm leaning toward "this guitar is correct"

5. Muddybuchfan

Muddybuchfan Tele-Meister

IMHO Leaning toward a scam did you read what he wrote to me?

6. jwc5

jwc5 Tele-Meister

pcosmo, the link below is a thread I started last year when postingpictures of my friends 1951 Nocaster. The Nocaster was produced in late 1950 and early 1951. My friends nocaster is the real deal. I have never seen a broadcaster decal like that. I thought the original Broadcaster decal placed the word broadcaster trailing off to the right of Fender. I will add another link with additional pictures of the 51 Nocaster.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/104585-51-nocaster-your-viewing-pleasure.html

7. jwc5

jwc5 Tele-Meister

8. mgwhit

mgwhit Tele-Holic

I checked out your link to the pictures of Broadcaster #0032. I think the decal looks identical, just differently placed on the headstock. In both cases the ``B begins underneath the d in Fender.

9. mgwhit

mgwhit Tele-Holic

I'd be more inclined to believe the second half of that quote if the first half weren't so sloppy. While I'm sure Tom Wheeler knows more about vintage guitars than I do, this is fairly well documented history: Broadcasters stopped in February of '51, there was a short "Nocaster" period, and "Telecaster" popped up on headstocks in the Summer of '51.

I doesn't make sense that Fender would occasionally produce a Broadcaster after 2/51, since they voluntarily stopped using the name as the result of a cease-and-desist request from Gretsch. Continuing to put "Broadcaster" on a small number of their guitars would've been remarkably poor marketing for their new Telecaster.

Not saying they didn't, mind you. I'm just not gonna believe it until I get a good explanation.

I should add that even if Wheeler is correct about post-2/51 Broadcasters, the guitar in question would be even more rare and would be going for more than $7500. Not on Craigslist. :p

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  10. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've seen plenty of Arthur's work. I even own one that he and Danny Gatton worked on together (it's that tiny guitar in my avatar). As far as recreating vintage guitars his work is not that impressive. His sunburst finishes are best described as "10 footers"-it looks great from 10 feet away. Close up it's more worthy of a Hondo finish. I've seen a few things he redecaled, but often they still had the CBS era decals. He basically made parts guitars from Fender parts, a few home made things (black guard on mine for example), and whatever aftermarket parts he could get at the time. That's not to say he turned out bad instruments. All I've played (about seven different pieces) were pretty nice. His pickup rewinds were awesome IMHO. My Tele has a neck (year unknown) that was not initially mated to its '73 body. The body was also routed under the pickguard for weight. I definitely don't think Tex was out to fool anyone but rather make "improved" Fender instruments. I'd take one of his over the stock mid to late '70s stuff anytime.

11. pcosmo

pcosmo TDPRI Member

Your logic escapes me....Do you think I'm making up quotes for some reason?

That's what the book says...doesn't really matter to me though what you want to believe...I was simply trying to bring out some published information in a well known book. You probably know miore than the book though somehow.

And if you don't think great deals are found on Craigslist, well, that is simply ignorance....but good luck with that.

Sometimes being skeptical is not the right pathway... Jeez the seller even offered to ship the guitar without payment....NOW that IS wierd..

12. PaisleyRocks

PaisleyRocks Tele-Holic

This listing is obviously fake. If you send him the $7500, you'll never hear from him again. The pictures are probably from a real vintage guitar that SOMEONE ELSE listed somewhere (eBay, other CL post). This is a scam, plain and simple (a fairly common and easy to spot scam).

13. falconer

falconer Tele-Holic

I'd have to agree. I recently sold an acoustic on CraigsList. The ridiculous offers I received, with similar fractured syntax, were insults to anyone's intelligence. Payment scams were evident, with some offering amounts higher than what I asked. I guess they could tell just by my ad that I deserved the extra bucks for being a nice guy. ;)

14. JonyB

JonyB Tele-Meister

Is your edition of "American Guitars" a recent one?...the reason I ask is... Toms' first edition...released in the 70's had some inacurate info through out the book. Tom's a great guy and kudos go out to him for his research and all the time invested to put that book together....but there were inaccuracies printed in that first edition:)

15. marsopilami

marsopilami Tele-Meister

HOLD UP!!!!!

am located in Copperas Cove, I don't offer personal collection. If you are interested to buy my Fender the total price is $7500, shipping and insurance included. "I will receive your payment after you will receive the Fender"" at your address this way you can inspect it properly before buy.
    Let me know and I will do my best to help you.

DOESNT THIS MEAN HIS SENDING YOU THE GUITAR BEFORE PAYMENT!

who in their right mind would ship a guitar and then collect the money after through cs?

16. whitecat

whitecat Tele-Meister

He might be hinting at an escrow arrangement... which could end up being a new scam unto itself anyway. So you'd end up with a fake guitar and no way of recovering your cash.

17. twangcaster1

twangcaster1 Friend of Leo's

Well, fake or not, I'm not sending money to anyone who can't communicate in proper English!

18. pcosmo

pcosmo TDPRI Member

the quote from "American Guitars" is accurate ....on page 68 it states:

" After December 1950 Telecaster generally replaced Broadcaster.; rare exceptions include Broadcasters dated as late as August 1952.

My edition is dated 1990....

I'm not saying I would send the guy a $7,500 check and hope to receive a $50,000 guitar in the mail.......but I AM saying that to jump to a conclusion and make the rash decision that this is a fake, is premature..There are unknowns and I am attempting to share some information.

Isn't that one of the things we like to do here?

I guess I hit some nerves and I'm sorry. I don't mean to be offensive, but lets give this thread run it's course and do it justice....this guitar has not been proven to be anything other than what has been described.....

the whole deal might be a fake though....

my first reading on the email was that he was going to send the guitar first then expect the payment...though I see now where that could be taken either way....as in "you send me money, first, (then) you get the guitar"

That isn't going to happen...we all know that, I think...

bottom line we'll probably never know...but with what I know, the guitar in the pictures looks right to me..

19. marsopilami

marsopilami Tele-Meister

its a SCAM

20. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The guitar might be real, but the deal isn't.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.