1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'52 Bakelite pickguard question...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Doug C, May 14, 2011.

1. Doug C

Doug C Tele-Meister

I ordered a '52 Fender pickguard that comes in the Fender's "Vintage Tweed packaging". I know these are supposed to be made from bakelite... but what was sent to me is a PG in a red Fender packaging that read "Fender" and "genuine Fender Replacement Parts". Why they sent me this instead of the pictured item, I don't know - but is it the same thing? It does have 5 holes and the little white bar code label reads "PG, 52 Tele Black 5-hole, 1-ply" and "P.N. 0992019000". I just want to be sure it's bakelite. Thanks, if anyone knows I appreciate the help.

2. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

3. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

What does it feel like? Bakalite is sort of rougher that vinyl. I like the feel of it. Also, it looks sort of muted.

You probably have the real deal.

4. Doug C

Doug C Tele-Meister

Yea it's definitely rougher on the back, unfinished with sanding marks and sort of grey looking. Looks very glossy on the front, actually does look like it's been "painted" with clear.

5. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

Yep, that grey looking is what you want to see.

Unlacquered new bakelite is not a pretty thing, but as the lacquer on the money side wears through it will acquire a buff surface which is a pretty thing.

6. Doug C

Doug C Tele-Meister

Cool, I feel confident about it now. And Omiewise's post made me search the part number too and I see that the Fender's Custom Shop shows the same model number as bakelite too - I wonder why the different packaging, oh well : http://guildcustomshop.com/products/search.php?partno=0992019000

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.