52 AVRI or 50's original or 8520 ash

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mdb74, May 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mdb74

mdb74 TDPRI Member

Hi,

I've done some research on telecasters and based on comments and videos leaning towards a 52/31 style tele). I have the option of buying one of the following 2nd hand in my area (same price):
    1) 2012 American Vintage reissue
    2) 2003 American ash telecaster (8520)

What would be the better guitar (assuming both in mint condition)?

Alternatively for a couple hundred extra bucks I can get a 50s original series.

If you could have one of the 3, which would it be?

Thanks!

2. BobbyJames

BobbyJames Tele-Meister

I've just had a very similar choice to you, and went with an American Vintage 52 - no regrets. I've heard the 8502 is excellent, and very rare, so I'm not discounting that. But I'd say no to the 50s Original, the 2012 reissue will be a more vintage spec.

My top picks would be
    1). 2012 American Vintage reissue
    2). 8502
    3). 50s Original

boris bubbanov likes this.
  3. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

1) AVRI 52
    2) AO 50

4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My 8502 smokes ANY Fender tele (including CS,Vintage RI etc) I have compared it with and I've played litteraly hundreds (and owned way to many) .

If it is a nice example buy it,you will not regret it .

5. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

AV 52, grab one while you can.

6. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Both are very good guitars. Personnaly, I'd choose the AV 52 because of the specs (7.25 radius, 3 barrel saddles, pickups, and neck thickness to name the most important as far as I'm concerned)... but that's personal preference, and which one may be the best for you may precisely depends on the specs: basically modern (8502) vs. vintage (AV 52).

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I agree.

But Nick is right, an 8502 is a mighty nice model, however the chance of finding one is getting harder every day. I'm not a big fan of the AO models, especially at current prices. There's a bunch of models, usually found for less, you might happen upon in a store and I would shoot for those over the AO at an AO price.

BobbyJames likes this.
  8. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Tele-Meister

Having owned an 8502 and my 2013 AV 52RI at the same time, I opted to keep the 52 and sold the 8502. Nothing wrong with the 8502, but the 52 ticked all the boxes for me. I will say... If you have the chance to buy an 8502, it's worth buying it to try. They aren't available very often and 52's are pretty common.

9. nedray

nedray Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I had a 8502 when they were current and i experienced the mythology that sprang up around that model. Didn't understand the fascination then and I don't now, but it still seems to exist in some quarters. I don't have my 8502 any more but I do have a AVRI 52 that I expect to always have. A Telecaster aficionado needs one of those, it seems to me. Even more so than a post 2012 AV 52, which is less guitar for more money IMO. As for the AO, it's too soon to tell, but not sure I'm seeing a classic in that model.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think part of the Mythology of the 8502, is many people feel this is what the American Series/Standard should have evolved into, but it never did. It contained some of the features of the vintage specs models and the best of the Modern specifications. It could be that we want everyone who sees a 8502 to buy, to experience one, and I love the "educational" aspects of the 8502, the way it can teach an inquisitive player what makes certain guitars play and sound as they do. Finally, I for one was shamelessly lobbying FMIC to move in the direction of this model. I hadn't mentioned this before, but I saw a couple of them for sale, and I recruited people I knew to buy them as opposed to hoarding it for myself. The Highway One Texas Tele is sort of the same way and yup, there I have cajoled a couple people into buying ones I saw when I was cash strapped and couldn't grab them. I wanted to see other players with them, hoping the word about them would spread better that way.

And, I wanted 8502s to go into production so maybe Darren Riley would get some 8502 bridges and I could convert the 8402s I got for almost nothing. Man, I cannot abide by the stock bridge plate on the 8402.

11. Riversider

Riversider Tele-Meister

I have a simliar shortlist to the OP, although i dont like the 7.25 radius so no AV or AVRI on my list.

I’m looking at a used 8502 here in the UK right now, but its priced at 749 gbp and is a long way away, plus someone removed the bridge pup and put in a SD humbucker.

So, for this money i could buy a brand new Baja (675 gbp).

I’ve had a Baja before and liked a lot about it but was not sure I fully bonded with the neck....but i miss it now its gone so would devinitely consider buying another.

I am also considering an American Original 50s , but there are not yet any within a few hours drive for me to look at.

My question would be more about the difference between a Baja neck and an AO50 neck, i guess. Ive not tried a thick U at all, but typically i like a thicker neck than the slim C you find on Am Std - for example, i liked the thicker C on my Classic Player 60s strat, i like the chunky neck on my PRS Chris Robertson and i know how a Baja feels, but preferred the Baja neck the further up it i went rather than down at the first few frets.

Is the American Original significantly different to a Baja neck overall?

UK prices put the AO at exactly double the cost of a new Baja and im not sure i can justify that difference, but i do want to get another tele.

Also, ive never owned a nitro finished maple board guitar - is it likely to be as sticky as the thick poly finish on some Bajas?

Many thanks for any help

12. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The first Tele I bought was an AV 52 in 2006. I changed out to some 10-52s and fell in love. Over the years, I've tried a slug of others, thinking about a lighter setup and a different kind of twang. 12 years later and I still have only one Tele.

13. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I have never tried a 8502 and I haven't tried an AO yet. I have a 2011 AV52 and I caught myself thinking, the other day, that it's all one might want from a tele. Not that I will sell my Baja 60s for that or stop lusting after other teles colored differently :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.