1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'51 vs Split Coil P-Bass?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by IMadeYouReadThis, Jul 26, 2019.

1. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

Squier just updated the Classic Vibe 50s Precision again, and now they are made of pine bodies and the price dropped $50 with 2 new finish options. I figure they realized it wasn't selling very well.

Squier 50s P-Bass

I've been looking into trying out bass guitar and had already narrowed it down to the 70s P-Bass or the 50s, the difference being single coil vs split coil. What's the difference? Does the 50s still have the low-mid thump, or does it trade that for clarity and articulation?

2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Those are two very different beast. The P bass has that Motown Thump, while the 50's single coil is more of a ZZ Top type sound.
    You might want to listen to some recordings and see which suits you best.

Bassman8 likes this.
  3. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Holic

The split Precision bass pickup is the one of the two on most classic recordings going back decades. Leo designed it to improve on the original pickup, which was a sort-of bass version of the Tele pickup. I think he got it even better the second time, as do thousands of bass players, and millions of music fans.

Not everyone realizes this, but the split pickup is actually a humbucker, because the two coils have reverse winds and reverse magnetic polarity.

erratick likes this.
  4. IMadeYouReadThis

It's hard to find '51 recordings other than YouTube or Sting. Suggestions? :confused:

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

the last 3 guitars I've made have been T style basses...and apart from the lefty, I have played both rightys in our trio...

the single coil pu thumps as good as the P bass types..... in the 2 pu bass both pu's are of a similar volume when played individually, they balance well output wise....the tones have a different character, not by much though... the single a bit livelier and the split coil smoother, maybe...

I tend to play the cream/single pu at home and the woody one when I play out... same single coil in both of them..

there's probably more Pbass replacement pickups to try though.....

tele bass x 2 sm.jpg tele bass day1.jpg

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  6. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Holic

Are you ambidextrous? You seem to have left and right-handed basses. o_O

IMadeYouReadThis and trev333 like this.
  7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

the lefty was for a friend's son.... I liked the look of it so I made one for myself....:D

simoncroft likes this.
  8. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don't know what pickup is in the new Squier, but the older version I had greatly benefited from a pickup and control upgrade. After that I found the sound to be as equally pleasing in it's own way as the split pickup. I do like the added height adjustment of the splits and that they have plastic covers though.

erratick likes this.
  9. IMadeYouReadThis

Noted. When you say "equally pleasing" do you mean it's similar or it sounds just as good, but different? Also, does a decent tone knob mean that rolling off the tone can give more "thump" (a.k.a artistic mud) and thus make the pickup sound more split-coil like?

10. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Early ZZ Top albums, like Rio Grande Mud, Tres Hombres, and Fandango. The "live" side of Fandango will give you best out front sound of the bass.

11. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I meant the early design was different sounding but just as pleasing to my ears. There is a good treble presence with full but defined bottom and an overall rasp. I think the rasp can lead one to think that under hard string attack there will be lots of distortion but I found not much difference than any other pickup once height adjustment was dialed in. So this is all just my opinion and experience but coming from a series of P Basses with aftermarket pickups then switching to the old style (also aftermarket) pickup, I was impressed with how nice the old style can sound. I wish I had kept that bass but it was really heavy. Can't comment on the sound if the treble is backed off more than a tad, and it should be noted that I had Rotosound rounds on my basses then. Oh yeah, the pickup I liked so much was a Rio Grande with the larger poles; Muy Grande I think it was called.

12. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

+1 - Dusty uses that single P coil bass on most of those recordings.

13. ADK Teleman

ADK Teleman Tele-Afflicted

105CBC0C-3F8E-47DD-A7C3-B6527C149981.jpeg I have a Classic 70s Precision that I love, and recently got the Squier CV 50s Precision. I’m in love with the CV 50s!! My bandmates have all said they feel it is a better sounding bass. It really sits well in the mix and can thump when needed!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.