1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'51 tele bass barnwood buildZZZ

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by fenderchamp, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Sometimes if it breaks off clean you can glue it back and if clamped tight enough it will not show at all.
    The only thing that worries me is you said you had packed it with yellow glue, that glue might have plugged all the pores making your next glue joint not so strong. My guess is you get very little glue in the joint if you did not use a syringe. My guess is it was glued along the top and bottom edge thinly and snapped when you took the pressure off the clamp.
    It looks like it is following the grain line too so it should not show up too badly. Loving the Cedar top, it will be a pretty specimen.

fenderchamp likes this.
  2. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

It snapped off very easily. it's all discolored in there, The split was in the wood long before I got hold of it that for sure. I like the nail holes too. There is a lot to like about old wood :)

[​IMG]

It will glue right up, but it's gonna show. Which is ok with me.

[​IMG]

HairyChapter likes this.
  3. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

That is patina and character. Very cool. I'll be going down that road sometime soon as I have a small stash of really funky barn wood. Thanks for sharing this.

fenderchamp likes this.
  4. guitaradelic

guitaradelic Tele-Meister

I have repaired cracked furniture with Titebond, the fix is stronger than the wood...

fenderchamp likes this.
  5. fenderchamp

I routed, tore out a little. the tearout is not that jagged looking stuff in the cutway it's those two flat spots on the lower bout. I realized that I needed to take more waste off. I'm deciding more and more that I need to improvise a router table, and get my band saw tuned up well enough to be usable or sell it and get a different one. The former solution appeals to me more.

[​IMG]

After this I decided to use my new Shop Fox oss and remove some more waste. and then finish routing it (I still would like to try out a router table)

is it me or has photobucket become nearly unbearable, slow, jerky full of popups? At least the price is right!!!! ...thanks photobucket...

[​IMG]

Here is front and back next to the next blank for next body...More jigsawing to come , wearing ear protection of course.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HairyChapter and Daniel94 like this.
  6. fenderchamp

[​IMG]

I traced the template and cut out the other blank with a jigsaw today. My jigsawing is getting better. I took my time let the saw do the work and cut pretty close to the line.

The thing about my jisgsaw is it doesn't really make a very perpendicular cut. I had to work the edges quite a bit with the oss to get things straightened out.

Anybody have any advice about that?

I also decided that the router hump inside the cutaway wasn't very important to me and smoothed it away with the sander.

I still have to thin out this body about 1/4'' after i cut out the outline I worked the blank a little bit more with my jack plane trying to g4et one side flatter. The plane ripped out a knot on the top of the body.

The back with still a good bit of barn crust on it.

I plan on thinning it out tomorrow sometime. After that, want to get a router table together.

[​IMG]

HairyChapter likes this.
  7. HairyChapter

HairyChapter TDPRI Member

Looking cool.. Makes me want to start a bass build

fenderchamp likes this.
  8. fenderchamp

I bought some 3x18 80 grit belts for this hand held sander I borrowed from my neighbor about 13 years ago :| and had at the bass body that hadn't been thinned down yet.

I have been using one those jawhorses as a bench with a piece of 3/4'' baltic birch ply clamped into it. I started carrying the body into my house and laying it on a glass coffee table as I lost faith in the flatness of that plywood.

It's not flat either. I need to get something better to clamp up for workbench.

In any case at a certain point of messing around I decided it was flat enough and then I thinned it down with the router sled planer jig.
    I'll take a better picture when I have better light. You'll be, I'm sure every bit as fascinated by the nexus of cracks that the router exposed as I am. I figure I better let it sit a few days to see how much it moves.

All in all though It was fun working on flattening the one side out and then running the router.

This is a great hobby, I'm really thankful for this wonderful resource (the tdpri home depot) otherwise I never would have even started.

[​IMG]

guitarbuilder likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.