'51 Nocaster Tele Bridge Pickups and a Fender MP Tele Plus...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by James64, Oct 18, 2019.

1. James64

James64 TDPRI Member

Hello,

In order to achieve hum-cancelling in positions 2 and 4, we need a reverse wound reverse pole middle pickup.
    1. Can we assume that the black wire is the start of the wind in a Fender/Squier single coil strat/tele pickup? If I knew that, then this south poled Squier CV50s Tele bridge pickup (Alnico 3) that I have in my hand is wound clockwise.
    2. Can we re-magnitize a pickup to swap the poles (I saw a gizmo on StewMac)? I don’t know if this is the best thing to do, or if it is better to try to take the pickup apart and flip the Alnico magnets.
    3. Can we just swap the leads that go to the 5-position switch and ground if we need to “reverse” the wind?
    My favorite Tele is my CV 50's Vintage Blonde (Alnico 3) because I love the tone of both pickups. I can't put it down. But, I love the belly cut on my Fender Modern Player Telecaster Plus, and can't afford a new American Tele Elite.

I'm interested in the Fender '51 Custom Shop Nocaster Tele pickup set or the Fender Original Vintage Tele pickup set but I’d have to figure out how to get it to work in my Fender Modern Player Telecaster Plus.

On my Fender Modern Player Telecaster Plus, I rewired the Humbucker split switch to make it a switch that joins the bridge and neck! I got rid of the humbucker and used a normal sized tele bridge pickup. I’ve already done the routing and made my own special pickup cover plate to house a normal tele bridge. In fact, the guitar is currently filled with Fender Vintage Noiseless Tele-Strat-Tele pickups and while the sound is ok, it doesn't compare to my CV50 Teles or my CV50 Strat

Goal: Use 3 non-noiseless single coils and achieve humbucking in positions 2 and 4.

1) The easiest/cheapest solution for the Fender Modern Player Telecaster Plus:
    Tele Neck: Use the original MP Plus Tele neck (Alnico 5), South Pole up
    Strat Middle: Use the original MP Plus Strat middle (Alnico 5), North Pole up and is RWRP (so there is hum cancelling when the middle and neck are on).
    Tele Bridge: Use the CV50s Butterscotch Blonde (Alnico 5) bridge pickup that I removed, South Pole Up but that is also RWRP

Maybe, for the bridge pickup, I could solder the leads to the switch and ground backwards?

2) Another solution for the Fender Modern Player Telecaster Plus:
    Tele Neck: Fender Original Vintage Tele neck (Alnico 3), assuming counterclockwise and North Pole up
    Strat Middle: Use the CS Texas Special (Alnico 5) from my Roadhouse, South Pole up and RWRP
    Tele Bridge: Fender Original Vintage Tele bridge (Alnico 3), assuming counterclockwise and North Pole up

Maybe, for the middle pickup, I could solder the leads to the switch and ground backwards? Though It would be great if I could find an Alnico 3 Strat Middle pickup.

Thanks for any help!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Test: The “S” part of a compass dial is white and the “N” part of a compass dial is “N”. Therefore, if you put the compass close to the pickup magnets and the red part of the dial points up, then you have a North Pole up pickup (because opposites attract).

Data (this data may be useful to others):

My Fender Modern Player Tele Plus (Alnico 5) is:
    Tele Neck: South Pole up
    Strat Middle: North Pole up and is RWRP
    Humbucker Bridge: North closer to the Middle and South closer to the bridge.

My Squier Deluxe Strat with Tonerider Surfari TRS5 (Alnico 3) are:
    Neck: North Pole up
    Middle: South Pole up - RWRP
    Bridge: North Pole up
    I swapped out these pickups with Fender Vintage Noiseless Strat pickups

My Fender MIM Deluxe Roadhouse Strat with CS Texas Specials (Alnico 5) are:
    Middle: South Pole up - RWRP
    Bridge: North Pole up
    I swapped out these pickups with Fender Vintage Noiseless Strat pickups

My Fender American Special Strat with CS Texas Specials (Alnico 5) are:
    Neck: South Pole up
    Middle: North Pole up - RWRP
    Bridge: South Pole up

Why Fender had to make these two sets of CS Texas Specials opposite, I’ll never know.

My Squier CV50's Strat (Alnico 3) are:
    Neck: South Pole up
    Middle: North Pole up - RWRP
    Bridge: South Pole up

My Squier CV50s Vintage Blonde Tele (Alnico 3) is:
    Bridge: South Pole up - RWRP

My Squier CV50s Butterscotch Blonde Tele (Alnico 5) is:

My Squier CV60s Custom 3-Tone Tele (Alnico 5) is:

My extra set of Squier CV50s Tele pickups that I ordered back when you could (Alnico 3) is:
    Bridge: South Pole up – RWRP
    I’m probably going to put these in my CV60s Custom 3-Tone Tele

My extra set of Fender Twisted Tele pickups (Alnico 5) is:
    Neck: North Pole up – this pickup sounds closer to a Strat than a Tele
    Bridge: South Pole up – RWRP, this pickup sounds nice

Fender Customer Support just told me that the Fender Original Vintage Tele pickup set (Alnico 3) that neither pickup is RWRP and that the poles are:
    Neck: North Pole up, wound counterclockwise
    Bridge: North Pole up, wound counterclockwise

I believe that Fender '51 Custom Shop Nocaster Tele set (Alnico 3) are:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool post. But I will need to set aside some time, to read it in the depth it requires.

I think goofing around with a Modern Player is an excellent way to learn this stuff and get comfortable just trying things. However I think installing either an OV set or a FCS No-caster set is a waste of them. The No-Caster set is RWRP and the OV is not.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.