51 nocaster questions.

wengr12345

TDPRI Member
Hello. I'm considering a used 51 nocaster and it would be my first CS fender.
Is any year or era more or less desirable than any other?
And also - I see neck profiles commonly described as U or V. Is the V simply the U with the shoulders taken down?

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
I can't say anything about what's better or worse, but here's something I found that may help
Most-Common-Guitar-Neck-Shapes.png

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I'm not sure about CS Nocasters per say in terms of era, but I believe those made in the last 20 years are supposed to be really good years, up to today. Hopefully someone who owns a CS Nocaster will chime in. I built mine so I can't say on Fender's CS, other than I did use their CS pickups, but I do understand them to be very good. As for the pickups, I love em ;)

Electric Warrior

Tele-Holic
I had one with the V and I remember it being deep with only a bit of shoulder. It was really different than anything I was used to (I had a Broadcaster reissue at the time which had shoulder galore, and a 60 C Custom shop). The edges were rolled but still felt a little "sharp" to me. Like the neck hit the board without much of a transition. It also felt like way more real estate on the fretboard than U but that may have been an illusion...just how it felt. That said, it ruled, and I should have never returned it.

Fender-guy

Tele-Holic
I’ve had the 50’s CS broadcaster/nocaster/telecasters from all different years. They’re all great. They do tend to be different from year to year, mainly the finish thickness and neck shapes. I’ve had 6 and still have 1. I’d gladly be happy with any one of them back.

The keeper is a 2001 NOS finish that’s aged nicely. The neck is huge, soft V shape.
70192BC6-D6DC-49C8-AF5F-AAB4780BD1B4.jpeg
065254F6-194A-4DA4-9BB9-6A3A5EE1E9B2.jpeg

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I’ve had the 50’s CS broadcaster/nocaster/telecasters from all different years. They’re all great. They do tend to be different from year to year, mainly the finish thickness and neck shapes. I’ve had 6 and still have 1. I’d gladly be happy with any one of them back.

The keeper is a 2001 NOS finish that’s aged nicely. The neck is huge, soft V shape. View attachment 970754 View attachment 970755

Just curious but is this natural wear or relic? Nice looker man!

tshoe71

Tele-Meister
I have a '21 CS '51 Nocaster with the 10/56 V. Definitely a thick neck, I think mine is like .91 to 1.00 from 1st to 12th fret. It has taken some time to get used to it from say a 60's C, but I'm enjoying it now. I expected the V to be more pronounced than I find it to actually be. I think the main adjustment is the thickness, the shape of the V is more subtle. Mine was a Closet Classic and for me that level of finish is perfect. If you search my username you'll find my pics and more info. Best of luck to you!

-Shoe

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
my Nocaster re-issue is about 20 years old>>>>>
nut 1.6420. 1st fret .957>>> 12 fret 1.002. Weight 7.2.. There are much larger necks I have tried that are too big, for me.

Telepi

Friend of Leo's
As you’ve already learned, Nocasters vary with their necks, etc. These can be based on year and the dealer or however they were spec’s.

My suggestion is to play one or more before buying. A .90 with a V neck is a lot different than a .90 with a U neck. I have big hands and find .95 at the first fret is bigger than I like. I personally don’t care for V necks either. But they seem popular.

Good luck in your search.

Fender-guy

Tele-Holic
As you’ve already learned, Nocasters vary with their necks, etc. These can be based on year and the dealer or however they were spec’s.

My suggestion is to play one or more before buying. A .90 with a V neck is a lot different than a .90 with a U neck. I have big hands and find .95 at the first fret is bigger than I like. I personally don’t care for V necks either. But they seem popular.

Good luck in your search.

Yes exactly, I’ve had many U shape necks that all felt different. Had a U shape at 0.90 at the 1st fret that felt tiny. That 0.05” extra you think, big deal but it actually is a huge difference in feel. So yeah ordering online could be a gamble if neck shape/feel is a priority.

ladave

Tele-Holic
I had a 2019 Nocaster with a 10/56 (.93) it was a very soft V that transitioned into a C around the 5th-7th frets. Loved that neck and always regretted selling that guitar.

Couple of months ago I finally thought I had found the replacement. Wildwood 10 Nocaster with a U shaped neck but same thickness (.93). That neck felt huge compared to the 10/56 with same thickness and I regrettably had to return it...and I have big hands.

Twang Tone

Friend of Leo's
Hello. I'm considering a used 51 nocaster and it would be my first CS fender.
Is any year or era more or less desirable than any other?
And also - I see neck profiles commonly described as U or V. Is the V simply the U with the shoulders taken down?
The answer to your first question is yes - 1995 to 1998 "Cunetto" Relics go for more money.

But if it's vintage accuracy you're after, then any "Time Machine" Series Nocaster from 1999 to 2010 should be fine (mine's an '06).

The "Time Machine" series Nocasters came with a FAT U shape neck - not for everybody, but sweet once you get used to it.

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
It started out a NOS finish. It’s checked, faded and the finish has sunk into the grain in places. It actually feels like a real vintage tele. Here’s a close up of the checking and grain ends, just looks great View attachment 970762
Your guitar actually looks that its old, not an over-done beat to s*@t, drug behind a truck relic. Yours is what I would like done. Now my wallet says otherwise

Twang Tone

Friend of Leo's

The keeper is a 2001 NOS finish that’s aged nicely. The neck is huge, soft V shape. View attachment 970754 View attachment 970755
That 2001 '51 Nocaster NOS sure is Sweet! I've seen some from that era (early 2000's) that have Birdseye Maple Necks, and some plain maple. Some also have Maple Headstock Plugs, which is cool. These are my personal favourite from the Custom Shop, as the Time Machine Series (as they called it) was the most historically accurate. My question regarding the 2001 NOS above is, why isn't the R + 4-digits serial number stamped on the Bridgeplate? Is this one Team Built or Masterbuilt?

Fender-guy

Tele-Holic
That 2001 '51 Nocaster NOS sure is Sweet! I've seen some from that era (early 2000's) that have Birdseye Maple Necks, and some plain maple. Some also have Maple Headstock Plugs, which is cool. These are my personal favourite from the Custom Shop, as the Time Machine Series (as they called it) was the most historically accurate. My question regarding the 2001 NOS above is, why isn't the R + 4-digits serial number stamped on the Bridgeplate? Is this one Team Built or Masterbuilt?

Sorry I’ve been away for away. There’s no serial numbers at all. No custom shop logo either. The reason for this is it was made by Chris Fleming as a prototype for himself. It was not a production guitar. He started as a apprentice at the custom shop in 2000 along side John English and Alam Hamel. This actually has Hamel pickups as well. So it’s a one off and this was all confirmed by Chris himself in a nice email to me. He does have his signature at the heel of the neck and CMF initials in the bridge pickup cavity. That’s it.
5B16DA87-6A49-4404-93A9-E36F28478039.jpeg
4A9601A1-053B-47AE-8A03-53CF0E6A8FA4.jpeg

Twang Tone

Friend of Leo's
Sorry I’ve been away for away. There’s no serial numbers at all. No custom shop logo either. The reason for this is it was made by Chris Fleming as a prototype for himself. It was not a production guitar. He started as a apprentice at the custom shop in 2000 along side John English and Alam Hamel. This actually has Hamel pickups as well. So it’s a one off and this was all confirmed by Chris himself in a nice email to me. He does have his signature at the heel of the neck and CMF initials in the bridge pickup cavity. That’s it. View attachment 1004493 View attachment 1004494
OK thanks, that makes sense.

So it's essentially a Chris Fleming Masterbuilt Broadcaster/Nocaster. I've seen one other like it (serial R7571 on the neck plate) which also has no truss rod, no channel between the neck pickup and the control plate route and no truss rod access channel between the neck pickup cavity and the neck pocket.

nickmm

Tele-Holic
I owned a 2007 the neck is huge and way overdone. 3 Sets and that size of the neck would fatigue me. I don't have small hands.

Build quality is okay.. but not for the price.
I had a closet classic the neck had too much lacquer build up on the frets. Finish if you looked at it funny would flake and chip.
Mine was 7 Lb on the dot and sounded great but could not bond with it because of the ridiculously oversized neck.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
Neck profiles on custom shop Nocasters are not created equal. Places like Wildwood have, at various times, Nocasters with soft V’s, medium U, Nocaster U (baseball bat) to the to use to the baseball bat variety and sometimes various 60s C.