50s wiring on a tele?

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
By 50s wiring you mean v/t on the bridge and neck, no two pickup position (unless you fiddle with the switch), and the preset bassy tone on the neck, like the original telecasters.

You don't mean whatever it is when they talk about 50's wiring on a Gibson, which has something to do with how the two volume controls interact, do you?

sonicdom

Tele-Meister
By 50s wiring you mean v/t on the bridge and neck, no two pickup position (unless you fiddle with the switch), and the preset bassy tone on the neck, like the original telecasters.

You don't mean whatever it is when they talk about 50's wiring on a Gibson, which has something to do with how the two volume controls interact, do you?

Exactly, Tele 50's wiring with bassy tone on the third position. It's an original refin blackguard I used to own. I had it in modern wiring and it sounded great and the current owner bought a set of old caps and restored it to 1950's factory wiring. Sounds totally different now, much brighter. I need to roll down the tone knob 3/4 of the way and the volume knob just a tad to get anything close to how I remember the guitar.

AJBaker

Friend of Leo's
There's some confusion here, and it's not helped by the fact that this is a 6 year old thread.

50s wiring is when the tone pot is wired to the OUTPUT of the volume pot (the middle lug), instead of the input of the volume pot. Fender guitars were never wired this way, but Gibson electrics in the 50s were often wired this way. These days, it's an especially popular mod with Les Paul players, and on this forum, it was often called the 'Fezz Parka mod'.
This (very old) thread is about THIS particular mod.

It has nothing to do with Broadcaster wiring (bass preset and blender knob) or early Tele wiring (bridge, neck, neck with bass preset).

Which wiring are you talking about? If it's not about the first, I'd really suggest starting a new thread, since starting a new topic on an old thread is frowned upon by the mods here. Actually, reviving an old thread, even if you stay on topic is frowned upon.

(Hey, you're in Switzerland! Where?)

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
These days, it's an especially popular mod with Les Paul players, and on this forum, it was often called the 'Fezz Parka mod'.
And to make it even more confusing, as I recall, the sister Strat forum uses the "Fezz Parka" moniker for when you convert the second tone pot to a bridge/neck blend.

Personally, I stick to "50s wiring" for the tone circuit, and early Telecaster / Broadcaster wiring for the other issue.

As for the Strat mod, I call it "adding a blend".