1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

50's wiring in reverse (Fezz Parka)

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by SixgunElectric, Jan 16, 2021.

1. SixgunElectric

SixgunElectric TDPRI Member

I ordered a pre-wired reverse control plate for my Tele, and it is wired as in the pic I have included.
    Can one of you resident wiring experts please take a look at my diagram and tell me what I need to change in order to have the 50s style wiring?
    (Not the "dark" tone circuit, but the Fezz Parka mod wiring)

Please excuse my drawing, lol, I used colors to aid in my understanding of things.

EDIT:
    YES, i realize i forgot to ground my pickups in the drawing...Ha!
    I ground them to the back of my volume pot.

I dont think it matters in order for someone to explain the changes necessary for the wiring i seek.

A lot of y'all seem to really have a handle on these things, so..any help is much appreciated!!!

20210116_220119.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    crazydave911 likes this.
  2. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

The little blue wire from the volume pot to the tone pot:

Disconnect on the volume pot, and reconnect on the middle lug of the volume pot.
    Change nothing on the tone pot.

You're done!

boredguy6060 likes this.
  3. Rjelecaster

Rjelecaster Tele-Meister

You can think of 50s wiring as connecting the tone pot to the output of the volume pot (eg same lug as the wire to the jack)

4. SixgunElectric

So...
    The (blue) wire from switch stays put on volume pot's 1st lug...but i just move the jumper (also blue) to the 2nd lug.
    (which also goes to the output jack's + lead)
    That's it, eh?

Well, thank you very much!

Now, that was a LOT easier than I thought it might be!

I've never wired a Tele this way but I keep reading good things about it.
    I'm eager to experiment with the Fezz Parka mod alone, before resorting to a treble bleed circuit.

Thanks again!

5. SixgunElectric

Ah yes, I see...
    I've seen at least a couple of different versions of this wiring and adding the reverse controls to the mix only got me more confused.
    The pre-wired reverse controls i got are so neat n' tidy, I'm glad I dont have to do a bunch of rearranging..yanno?
    :)

6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

That's right!

It's a nice mod, but I've since good back to standard wiring on my tele

7. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I mod all my guitars like this. The most common complaint folks have is the volume and tone pot being so interactive. ie:turning down the tone pot decreases the volume. I use a smaller cap, instead of a .047 or a .022, I use a .01. Caps are cheap and try several sizes using a jumper, until you find the one you are happy with. Lots of places will sell you a box of different size caps for very little money.

8. SixgunElectric

I use a lighter than normal (.012uf-.015uf) tone cap, depending on the particular pickup.

Does the value of the cap play any role in the level of interaction between the controls?
    (With the fezzparka mod)

I use the tone control strictly on the bridge pickup....if that matters

9. SixgunElectric

What exactly was it that persuaded you to switch back to standard wiring?

10. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

To me, it just seemed to suit the guitar better. I had spent a lot of time with different pickups (including a great set by Fezz Parka himself), different cap values and 50s wiring, and found myself always fiddling. One day, I put in a set of Klein vintage style pickups, a standard .05uF cap and standard wiring (well, almost... a do like a 4-way) and I found it just worked better.

I found that a tele is bright enough to not need the extra treble as much as say a Les Paul, and the extra treble at full volume is actually kind of useful. When turning down, the guitar mellows out slightly in a good way, and at full volume it screams in a good way.

There's nothing wrong with 50s wiring, and I still have it on my Les Paul's neck pickup, but I decided that I didn't need it everywhere.

11. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

If you only use the tone control on the bridge pickup, maybe have it only work on the bridge pickup? It would be easy to to:

Remove entirely the small blue jumper connecting volume and tone pots.
    Run a wire from the switch (the same lug where the yellow bridge pickup connects) to the first lug of the tone pot (where the jumper used to connect).

This would have the tone control only work on the bridge pickup, but it wouldn't be 50s wiring (not possible in this configuration).

12. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Yes it does, by a great deal. The lower the cap, the less interaction between the controls. Try even smaller----the trick is to achieve the lowest value cap with the needed level of roll-off of the treble. I don't need complete mud, just enough to knock off enough brightness of the chosen pickup. Doesn't matter which pickup you use. I also use a no-load tone pot to get the most twang out of the neck pick-up.

13. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Personally, I've never found caps below .022uF to be very useful; for my taste not enough treble roll off until you get almost to the end of the pot's rotation.

dlaroe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.