1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

50's whiteguards

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Marn99, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

So I am working on a 1954 telecaster replica and I've been having some difficulty finding out exactly what material was used on the pickguards of the 50's whiteguard teles and strats. My problem is not a lack of reliable, trustworthy sources, but rather two conflicting reliable sources, as Gil Yaron uses ABS for his whiteguards but Nacho said in an old tdpri thread that the originals are pvc. Has the whiteguard material ever been positively ID'ed one way or the other? is it possible that fender used both? I know ABS usually has a hair cell (rough) texture on one side, so if anyone reading this owns an original whiteguard, please let me know what's under the pickguard :)

2. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc Tele-Holic

I’ve always heard ABS and I believe Callaham makes them if you need one.

3. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

ABS would make the most sense, but from the pictures I've seen, the whiteguards don't seem have that rough texture on one side that ABS usually comes from the manufacturer with, perhaps Leo specially ordered smooth sheets? I know Nacho is very well versed in the early teles, perhaps he was referring to the 1950 white guard esquires instead of the mid 50s whiteguards when he said PVC.

4. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Vinyl (PVC) was the primary material used. Sometimes ABS was used when suppliers could not provide vinyl, but vinyl is what it "should" be. Whether it is matte on one side or not is not relevant to what material it is; PVC Fender guards came with glossy undersides and matte undersides at different times.

ABS is very easy to tell from PVC once some years have passed, because ABS yellows, while PVC doesn't yellow that much, if at all. As an example, the white Strat knobs starting in '57 were ABS. These ABS knobs are what became the "aged white," "parchment," and "cream" Strat knobs that we try to replicate today: quite yellow. Yet look at a '50's white guard, from a Strat, Tele, or Precision. They're pretty much still white, except maybe from being scratched and dirty.

The very first prototype white guard Esquires from 1950, however, did not use vinyl. They used something closer to polystyrene.

fenderchamp, Paul-T and theprofessor like this.
  5. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

awesome! Thanks for the info :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.