50's Road Worn Tele Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Broly, Jan 15, 2009.

1. chrisj1602

chrisj1602 Tele-Meister

I’m not certain, maybe 2009.

2. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

I posted on the Vintage Tele Forum, and I asked if they thought a Road Worn '50s fretboard wear looked authentic, and the resounding answer was NO!!!!!

Every response said that my attached photo of my 2011 model (as well as a 2008 model) looked fake because there was no literally no wear from fret 9 to fret 12, and when you think about it, we do play in those areas as well :)

So exactly how do I perform the work on those areas to make them match the other wear?

Thanks,
    Jerry

IMG_4995.jpg

3. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I just wanna say, I've owned maybe 40-50 Teles over the years... I had a Highway 1 I really loved, but my favorites of all time have been the Road Worn series! Best Tele ever in my opinion. I like the older ones with more wear to the body.

4. BobTheOwl

BobTheOwl Tele-Meister

IMG_4382.jpeg

My 2010 Roadworn has evolved over the years. The tuners were replaced with Gotoh Relic Kluson style, Bakelite style pickguard, compensated brass saddles, CS '51 Nowcaster pickups, fully rewired with vintage cloth wire with repro wax capacitor, milled jack socket, AV 52 switch tip and all screws have been replaced with aged slotted screws.

rze99 likes this.
  5. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

I just found this "50s-road-worn-tele-club" - page, but I haven't read the >800 posts so far.
    I posted about the guitar below in another forum, but this here is the proper place.

I discovered this Tele in the basement of my new music school and took it home with me to give it some care.
    It's a 2009 MIM road worn Telecaster.

[​IMG]

The condition was horrible. It was dirty and dusty all over, the neck was warped, the output jack cracked and the pots were hard to turn.
    I dismantled it and cleaned it with brush and a damp cloth with a bit of detergent in the water.

Next the neck was carefully straighend.
    Addentum December 2020: The truss rod is maxed out, but there is till a little bit too much relief to be perfect. But it's just ok.

Cleaning the jack (sandpaper and then a drop of deoxid)
    Deoxid for the pots and the switch, a small drop of oil for the shaft which was almost stuck.
    A shim for the neck pocket.
    New strings (010).

edit: added that switch knob

Ok, not bad so far. But the fretboard was not exactly flat, it had ups and downs. Add the uneven frets.
    Today I went to my guitar tech to have them levelled and flattened, too.
    He also had to lower the string slots at the nut.

Now it's a fine playing and great sounding Telecaster. The action is not too good because of the vintage radius, but the neck shape is fine.
    The tone is perfect Tele, no glass cutter, but fat and fast.
    Funny how these guitars all look the same with that fake wear. But it sounds great, so what.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    tombm3 likes this.
  6. jamester

jamester Tele-Holic

I got a sunburst about a year ago, overall I love it but it's getting played less and less because of the vintage radius.

Shame because the body and neck are great otherwise, it's lightweight and has great tone... :(

7. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

That's why I had my tech flatten the frets. He took away more in the middle than outside, so it results in a wider radius. Much better now.
    Btw., compound radius.

jamester likes this.
  8. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi guys, Happy New Year!

I have a Blonde RW '50s that I applied some MusicNomad The Guitar One to about 3 months ago, and I liked the glossy shine at first, but I now think it made the color too yellow for my tastes, and I prefer the sheen to not be as shiny as it still is.

FWIW, I know that "too yellow" will be interpreted/perceived in many different ways, but its color is NOT the point of my goal for this Post :)

My goal is to find out if there is a reasonable/safe way to remove the product/glossy sheen?

9. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

This is an old tech trick that works really well. I first had a 70s Strat that had this done because I told the tech to fix the choking and he flattened the fret (not fretboard) radius to about a 10 increasing at the top of the board. I was delighted and I’ve had this done on other vintage type F types. You still have the comfort of the vintage radius just no choking.

Hari Seldon likes this.
  10. waaronl

waaronl Tele-Meister

I may have asked this but asking again
    My rw will not get checking at all
    I’ve done hair dryer/compressed air/hair dryer trick and nothing. I know it’s drying super fast but it’s not checking

any tips?

I’m considering getting some reranch, repairing the burst then spraying clear

11. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

Back in the club. I had a 2017 which I sold and then regretted selling. This 2017 arrived yesterday and I've played it quite a bit last night and this morning. There's something about these guitars that just feels and sounds like a Telecaster should.

upload_2021-5-13_10-35-46.png

navier and tombm3 like this.
  12. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

Bought this one some time ago.
    For a couple years I was with Strats (Surf-rock era). Back to tele camp.
    I am not actually "relic" fan in any kind, however, I wanted ash-maple tele, with some kind of 50s specs.
    So, I found this one in the local shop. And after a couple of minutes of playing, I bought it.
    Guitar sound is great by itself. Love, that frets are slightly bigger, then on classic 50s MIM or MIJ Teles. Not my favorite Jumbo frets/V-shape combination, but still nice.

My concerns are: weird relic on the neck I whish to get same one with nitro, but without all that worn), and Tex-Mex pickups sounds a bit dull. But now I changed pickups with SD Antiquity, and guitar sounds so good for me, that I do not care about strange relic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RiverDog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.