1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

50's Road Worn Tele Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Broly, Jan 15, 2009.

1. waaronl

waaronl Tele-Meister

Hey man for sure share
    I like min a lot BUT i am not super happy with the finish it won't "craze" i think there isn't a lacquer clear coat maybe?
    I may take it apart and clear coat it with some yellow tinted lacquer and go from there...

2. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

If you want the worn crazing look, try the brown rub on shoe polish trick. It worked great on mine.

3. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

I just made some slight inhancements on the edges right now. I really don't want to go to far with it. Here's a before and after. Screenshot_20191023-212420~2.png IMG_20191024_103757526.jpg

RichCuellarPDX and Telebeestar like this.
  4. muzicmaken

muzicmaken Tele-Holic

Is there anyone here selling their roadworn? I'm looking for one of the earlier ones..

5. brittwin

brittwin Tele-Meister

I’ve owned an early Roadworn in the past, but I picked this ‘18 up recently..

man is it nice..

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  6. RichCuellarPDX

RichCuellarPDX Tele-Meister

Count me in. I recently bought one used from GC, a 2018 RW 50s and I gotta say, its amazing. Great neck, not too relic'd, and weighs 6.8 lbs. Sounds great, feels great, and is really resonant. I may put some '51 Nocasters in it, but for now the stock pups sound good through my old '69 Fender Champ.
    [​IMG]

navier, Bluetelecaster and tombm3 like this.
  7. Tele-mann

Tele-mann TDPRI Member

Can anyone tell me exactly which truss rod is in the 50s RW tele neck?

My trussrod is broken, according to the local guitar tech, but I love the neck so much that I wanted to try to replace it before I go ahead and buy a new neck. The feel of the RW tele necks is maybe the best feature of the whole guitar.

It's made 2008 by the way.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

8. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi guys!

Are any of your Road Worn's as "good" as a US Tele?

What I'm getting at is if one puts different pu's in a RW, do you think it can give an American-made Tele a run for its money sound and playability wise?

9. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

I think it gives American Teles a run for their money when it is completely stock. So, yes.:)

10. navier

navier TDPRI Member

I didn't knew there was this club.

Let me introduce you my 2013 Road Worn with swapped Pickguard, Gotoh Thumb-Locking tuners and Gotoh Compensated Saddles (not in this picture though)

[​IMG]

mimmo and Jim603 like this.
  11. Rainbowberry

Rainbowberry TDPRI Member

I just got a roadworn 50's tele last week and I'm really happy with it. However I feel that mine is a bit too orange-y? I'm not sure if you guys know what I mean. The pictures kind of show it but it looks more orange in person. I'm wondering if
    A. It's normal
    B. There's a way to reverse it into a slightly lighter shade of yellow similar to most butterscotch blonde's I see online
    C. Maybe it's just the fretboard + color combo that makes it look slightly odd/out of place.

Here are some photos!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Superior in every way to the BP model, in my opinion. That's kind of a weird guitar to me, waaaaaay too light in terms of weight.

13. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi guys!

Would you agree that it's hard to pinpoint what year Telecaster that the Road Worn Telecaster is based on?

For instance, the original version RW's had a white pickguard and dome knobs, but the early Teles has a black pickguard up until around 1954.

When the Tele went to the white pickguard (1954), the dome knobs were replaced by the flat knobs around 1956,
    so that means that if a RW has a white pickguard, it should have flat knobs, and it should have a top hat switch tip because they were introduced around 1954 as well.

And don't get me started on the steel saddles or when the Tele went from flat head to Phillips head screws :)

Regardless, I'm always investigating the way that some RW's from the factory can look a little different than others do, and I'm aware there was a transition period between the first years (up until 2014) relicing and the later years (2014 up until 2019) relicing, but I'm curious if any of you have ever seen a 2011 model that has flat knobs (that appear to be relic'd/original) like the ones shown in my attached photo?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2011 RW.jpg

14. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Bump.

15. chrisj1602

chrisj1602 Tele-Meister

I have ordered this, arrives tomorrow!

I used to have one of the older blonde models and wish I hadn’t sold it.

BEA253C8-63CA-4F48-B29B-AE98AFE6F48D.jpeg

Lockback and Jamie_h like this.
  16. waaronl

waaronl Tele-Meister

do the new ones actually have finish checking? that is one thing i do not like about mine, no finish checking

17. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

I've noted on the discontinued Road Worn '50s Telecaster (I haven't seen a Vintera in person yet) that they all have checking on different areas of the guitar, but to see the checking you have to hold the guitar at the right angle.

If you read earlier posts, this is why many have used brown liquid shoe polish wiped on and off very quickly to bring out/highlight the checking that is truly there, but it's just not in your face obvious unless you use shoe polish/dyes.

18. waaronl

waaronl Tele-Meister

i tried the upside down air can and it did nothing :(

19. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

What year older model did you have Chris?

20. chrisj1602

chrisj1602 Tele-Meister

Here it is, really happy with it. Just over 7lbs, love the U neck, the pickups sound great, and the finish is really well done I think.

The last pic is my three guitars from Vintera range.

654D9B3C-3258-4CEC-872B-6959C1E3A0ED.jpeg 26F4C4B6-AAA5-422C-A2C8-FF75F1E11D80.jpeg 5706F296-CB9F-4F91-AA51-F5C612FE6FD8.jpeg 3397B950-4C8D-45BE-A78A-8BEE6AF07E52.jpeg A679E09F-AFFA-4966-9615-7FDF6D91CC6C.jpeg

Digiplay and tombm3 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.