1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

50's Road Worn Tele Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Broly, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Buzzz

Buzzz TDPRI Member

So, after months of trying out just about every tele and strat in the local stores, and some Gibsons for good measure, finally bit the bullet and picked up a 2016 two tone RW tele at 30% off because it felt and sounded great and loved the colors. Just 1 question - obviously the "stigmata" are one of the perks, but there is a 1 inch round smudge on the upper right surface of the pickguard, which didn't have plastic on it. Is this one of the 2016s scars, or was a salesperson just careless taking off a label. Since I'd be fine with it if it was the former, I'm fine w it as the latter, but just wondrin'

Attached Files:

Jamie_h, Chicago Matt and Gdolly like this.
  2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations. I agree about the feel of the neck - the best maple Tele neck I have played out side of custom shop or real oldie.
    Your looks great to me. Not overly reliced.

I have one that was already stripped of the finish, luckily there is a lovely Ash grain. I put 51 Nocasters on mine and I kept the steel saddles just bent them into a compensated.

Jamie_h and Chicago Matt like this.
  3. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

That spot on the pickguard is indeed one of the "relic" scars and is intentional. It is in slightly different places one to another but has been on all of the newer ones that I have seen.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Jamie_h likes this.
  4. Chicago Matt

Thanks rze99. I've seen a picture of yours, and it's indeed beautiful!

5. Tele5015

Tele5015 Tele-Meister

I love my road worn. It has a really good rock tone.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  6. Buzzz

Buzzz TDPRI Member

Thanks Matt - That solves another thing as well, as in the store we looked on another 50s rw, and it didn't have the scar although I had read that all rws of a given model/year had exactly the same imperfections.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  7. Buzzz

Buzzz TDPRI Member

I hadn't thought to look to see if the others had the smudge in a diff place

Gdolly likes this.
  8. Buzzz

Buzzz TDPRI Member

Oddly reassuring to know an ugly mark is there intentionally rather than by screwing up the removal of a sticker. Perfect Imperfection.

9. Gdolly

Gdolly Tele-Meister

IMG_1865.JPG
    My wife added some artwork to the pickguard

10. Jamie_h

Jamie_h Tele-Meister

I had to post my one and only tele. I took some brown shoe polish to it today to get the checking to pop. Its crazy how good it worked. Wiped it over the cracking, then wiped it off.
    Before shoe polish:

IMG_6378.JPG

After:
    IMG_6380.JPG
    IMG_6384.JPG

IMG_6387.JPG

IMG_6385.JPG

RichCuellarPDX, horax, Jim603 and 5 others like this.
  11. markjames

markjames Tele-Meister

Yours looks very similar to mine Jamie H....
    Here's mine amongst some of my collection....
    Guitar Wall.jpg
    I have to say... as a long time Strat devotee....... This RW Tele is the BEST guitar I've set hands on.....
    A bit more expensive over here in the UK....but well worth the money in my opinion...!

Below is a poor quality close up...I'll try & get some better shots of it soon to share
    RW TELE.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Jamie_h, G-52 and Gdolly like this.
  12. G-52

G-52 Tele-Holic

IMG_0102.JPG I bought this '09 about a month ago on Reverb. It's really light. I don't have a scale but it's probably around 7 lbs, the lightest of my (6) teles except for the Thinline. Really a comfortable guitar, something I can tinker with too. The worn areas on the fret board felt like bare wood, seemingly slowing things down. I took a stab at refinishing with some honey-colored stain and a few coats of clear. The stain really darkened the worn areas, not my intention, but the fret board feels much better. I also put some brass saddles on it. Then I installed some Seymour Duncan pickups (Vintage Stack noiseless Tele Set). Pickups sound really good; originals weren't bad. This was my first attempt at soldering and I sort of boogered up the 3-way switch by overheating one the tabs (it disintegrated.) To my surprise, a connection was made regardless of the tab. I'm going practice up on the soldering before I install the new electronics I bought. Anyway, love the guitar, cheers!

RichCuellarPDX, markjames and Gdolly like this.
  13. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

IMG_6460.JPG I've just picked up a 2010 RW. Absolutely the best tele I've played so far, love the aggressive sound of the pickups. The body is so light and resonates great. The neck is just the right thickness and is nice and stiff.

I can compare this to 2 of the most recent teles I've had, a 50s esquire and a highway 1. Neither of these come close.

Attached Files:

14. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

How do these compare
    To the brad paisley road worn?

15. Chicago Matt

Well, it's been a year since my last post here so I'll chime in again. I haven't tried the Brad Paisley Road Worn, but it might be the only Tele uglier than my 2016 50s Road Worn, except maybe an antiqua ;). But I say that with a great deal of affection, and looks are surely in the eye of the beholder.

I'm not into the relic thing at all, but to those who say it's not "honest" wear on the Road Worn, I say in my 54 years of playing I've put a lot of "honest" wear on many - not saying that necessarily shows in my playing, so bug off! :). The opaque school bus yellow paint job on my 50s Road Worn makes it the ugliest guitar I own IMO (I own several very pretty guitars).

But after another year of playing and gigging with this guitar I've just got to say again how much I love it. It plays so great and sounds so great that I just don't care how it looks. I've thoroughly bonded with it. The neck feels so good, it never gets sticky, and the guitar just sings. It's turned out to be a great, simple, workhorse guitar - just like Leo intended. I'm almost starting to like the way it looks too.

rich815 likes this.
  16. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

:eek:

:D

17. rich815

I like my ‘08 Road Worn so much I grabbed a set of hardware and Tex Mex pups someone was selling to use the steel saddles on another tele I have that was sounding too “warm”. Could not find the steel saddles alone but someone who had a 50’s Road Worn tele who swapped out everything but the tuners and bridge: pots, pickups, wiring, saddles, jack, etc. I offered for the saddles alone and he said add $10 and I’ll sell you all of it. So now I’m thinking to put these Tex Mex into my other tele too!

18. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

Who cares if it's "honest" wear or not, right? Mine just felt right - more so than any of my other sparkly new glossy Telecasters I've owned. Plus, if I put another scratch or ding on it, who cares?

Jim603, Chicago Matt and rich815 like this.
  19. rich815

Exactly.

I’m also thrilled I’m not one of those obsessive people who feel a need to trash factory-reliced guitars every chance they get!

Jim603 and Chicago Matt like this.
  20. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

I just got my 2018 roadworn the other day, and I have to say this is the best Tele I have ever played. This includes the '52 RI that I sold off years ago because I couldn't bond with it. I actually bought a Baja first, but returned it because the neck was a little too much for me, this one is perfect.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have never been a fan of guitars that have the relic treatment from the factory, and I do wish they hadn't banged up the headstock on mine so much. But having said that, since this guitar feels, plays and sounds so good, it is making me appreciate the aesthetics of the guitar as a whole. I don't think I'll ever sell this one. But I've said that before...

Jamie_h, markjames, heffus and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.