1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

50's Road Worn Tele Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Broly, Jan 15, 2009.

1. jerrygator

jerrygator TDPRI Member

Cool thanks. I would def do it myself if possible. Not to worried about dings on it ;) I was more curious on the buffing part. I know I could file them down but I want it to be buffed and smooth. Not really sure what tool or tools that would take.

2. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

Here's a pic and short vid of me playing my 50's roadworn tele. Love the growl :)

Attached Files:

3. dnauheim

dnauheim Tele-Meister

Nice tone!

4. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

Thanks. It's amazing how thick the tone is on my tele, and that's all coming from the bridge pickup. Now I see how an esquire would be handy to have ;)

5. muzicmaken

muzicmaken Tele-Holic

I wouldn't bother it for a while...Mine due to the extreme cold and dry weather this year really shrunk the neck and felt like razors sticking out up and down the neck.. Once it started getting warm again it began to fix itself and has now completely fixed itself.

IMO if you have then filed down before the neck expands again your fret wire will then become shorter and may add a bigger problem....just my 2cents...

P.s. out of all my tele's this is the one this happened to because there is no finnish to protect the neck since it is factory worn...

6. Slidedude

Slidedude Tele-Holic

Very good points. This looks like an older thread, but FYI - I had the rough edges...took it to local guy and he took a special file and just smoothed and rounded the sharp edges and then took some increasingly fine grits of sandpaper and steel wool and polished 'em up - problem solved. Made a HUGE difference.

I live it N. CA, so it doesn't get as cold as some places in the winter, but as we are slipping into summer with some pretty hot temps I have not noticed the frets shrinking as the neck expands. but this is also dryer heat than many places.

IMHO you'd be OK rounding the edges a little and buffing and shining them puppies up! Stew Mac makes some great tools designed for this exact thing. If you don't feel OK about doing this, take it to a tech. I am no expert, just my .02.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...and_crowning/Fret_Beveling_File_Set_of_2.html

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...ping_and_crowning/Fret_End_Dressing_File.html

7. jerrygator

jerrygator TDPRI Member

I hear ya. I haven't touched it because it really isn't too bad. I haven't actually noticed if its any different during the summer. I will check that as I live in the northeast and humidity fluctuates big time. Curious now. Thanks.

8. ryguy79

ryguy79 Tele-Meister

I like the less worn look of the newer ones, but I picked this up today. $275 after trading in a few pieces of gear that I no longer use, including some that I got for free.

[​IMG]

9. Slidedude

Slidedude Tele-Holic

Love it! I ordered my RW new last year, and it was a "transition" model...a lot less body wear, same fingerboard wear, and a black PG. Both the salesman and I were surprised, because Fender hadn't notified its dealers. After a PLEK on the frets and a good setup, it's my #1. I also got mine for some cash and a bunch of gear that was collecting dust in my studio. Just got this sweet AVRI the same way. The rule from "She Who Must Be Obeyed" is that if new stuff comes in, old stuff must be used to obtain it.

Welcome to the club!

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1404402516.314187.jpg

10. ryguy79

ryguy79 Tele-Meister

I operate under the same rule!

11. rocket50

rocket50 TDPRI Member

Hey guys! I'm Doug and I'm new to this site. I got my blonde road worn Tele in 2012 and it's my everything guitar. It goes everywhere with me and if it gets a scratch or a dent well all the more better. I have switched to the 60's vintage noiseless pick ups but the jury is still out those

12. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats & welcome aboard!

Big RW fan here.

13. rocket50

rocket50 TDPRI Member

Thanks! I've gotten mixed reactions to it from "Wow how old is that?" to "Why the hell would you buy a new beat up guitar?" I don't care though. I love the way it looks, feels and sounds

14. Slidedude

Slidedude Tele-Holic

Hey Doug - welcome to TDPRI. There is a ton of info and years of experience here!

I also love my RW guitars. I have a 50's SB Strat and a 50's blond Tele. I have the Dimarzio Area 58's in the neck/middle positions and an Area 61 in the bridge of the Strat, and the Tele has an Area T Hot in the bridge and Area T in the neck. I really like the Area pickups.

15. ChaseB

ChaseB TDPRI Member

Got rid of my blonde RW only to just recently get a sunburst. I love these guitars! This one is much heavier than the blonde though, the sunburst are alder correct?

[​IMG]

16. dnauheim

dnauheim Tele-Meister

Correct. SB is Alder, blonde is ash.

17. ryguy79

ryguy79 Tele-Meister

18. teleswisster

teleswisster Tele-Meister

Nice clip ryguy

19. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

These guitars sound great and feel great. Pickups seem to be a little hotter/ overdriven than a more traditional Fender '50s type single coil pickup. I really like the sound.

20. ChaseB

ChaseB TDPRI Member

Swapped the neck on my sunburst roadworn with a 2003 MIM neck. I'm guessing it was from a 50's classic series. It's the 50's style but doesn't have the 6105 frets. I just couldn't adapt, my other guitars all have the small frets and that's what I like!

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1410302986.323806.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1410303005.019035.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1410303017.084297.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1410303028.682544.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.