50s Classic Lacquer upgrades done.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by KelvinS1965, May 5, 2016.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I tried to find my NGD thread, but it's so far back I figured I may as well start a fresh one. I bought my 50s Classic Lacquer finished Tele used about 18 months ago, barely 6 months old and like new complete with various accesories (iRig adaptor, Boss tuner pedal & small Orange Crush 12 watt practice amp), all for less than the new price of the poly version.

I already had a cheap Squier Affinity that I'd put Fender OV pick ups in, so I've since swapped them into the 50sC (I found the standard bridge one OK, but the neck was too dull sounding for my liking). The OVs have a clearer neck tone and the bridge is nice and twangy too. That was about a year ago, so I'm well used to those OVs in it now...

Last week I finally got round to ordering a set of compensated brass saddles to try. Not that I really had a problem with intonation with the standard steel barrel ones, but figured that I might as well give brass ones a try and compensated ones weren't really much dearer.

I fitted the saddles yesterday, but unfortunately I'd run out of Fender 'bullet' end strings so I fitted EB Super Slinkies (4th finger troubles mean I need a lighter gauge thesedays), so I'm not sure how much these affect things. I had to back off the truss rod a touch, then spend a fair while adjusting the action and then rechecking the intonation. Might just need a further tweak of the action as things settle down, but pretty much there now. I sorted out a poor earth to the bridge while I was at it (caused when I changed to the OVs so my fault rather than Fenders).

Acoustically the tone does seem slightly mellower, but could in part be the strings/placebo. I also got a B stock Orange Tiny Terror delivered yesterday, which sounds quite different to my Vox NT15G2 and Marshall JMP1-H heads through the same 1x12 Greenback cab. Need to have another play through the Vox as I'm more used to the tone of the Tele through this to try tell if it sounds different to before, but if nothing else the saddles mean the tuning/intonation will be spot on.

I think that's pretty much it now for the 50s Classic. I'd prefer a bit less lacquer on the fingerboard/around the frets, but it would be a major job to have the frets removed, sanded down/thin coat of lacquer and then refretted, so I'll live with it. I'm so used to 7.25" radius and 'vintage' frets since my JV Strat has the same and I've owned that 34 years now...

At the new price it's a cracking guitar, but for what I paid it's a steal. I'd had the OVs for so long that the upgrade cost of them (under £90 from what I remember) is long gone and the saddles were only £12 with delivery, so cheap upgrades really. I'm left with a brilliant Telecaster that hasn't cost a King's ransom and of course these mods can be reversed if required.

2. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This sounds great, I love the Classic Series Lacquer, and such mods are great improvements. But even though I have one of them right next to me right now, I'm still disappointed by the lack of pics!!! :D

songtalk, KelvinS1965 and Bones like this.
  3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Thanks. Yes I'll take some pictures but apart from the brass saddles it doesn't look any different from a standard one. The main thing is the sound and the improved intonation of course.

PS. I've always liked your signature...I presume it's from a song. If not it ought to be. :)

4. Torz Johnson

Ah yes, that line is from the song "Love with the Madman" by the great British band Be Bop Deluxe, from their guitar-drenched masterpiece album, Futurama. One of my all time favorite guitar albums.

RoyBGood, HWTele and KelvinS1965 like this.
  5. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Congrats.

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Must....have.....PICS!

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Here you go then...pretty much like any other white blonde 50s classic, but a close up of the saddles might be of interest.

Tele garden 1.jpg Tele garden 2.jpg Tele garden 3.jpg I remembered that I'd like to try reversing the control plate, but it's not as simple as turning it round (silly of me to think so) due to the wire length and that I'd swap the volume and tone knobs over too. It's something I'll come back to later as I have a bad habit of knocking the selector back to the bridge setting if I'm on the middle or neck position.

Iago and BorderRadio like this.
  8. Torz Johnson

Thanks for the pics, it looks great. Nice touch with the wildflowers btw.

Iago and KelvinS1965 like this.
  9. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Thanks. That's actually my back lawn, but the weeds are taking over a bit. :oops:

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Looks good and thanks! Just another blonde? I can look at those and BSB all day er' day.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  11. RobBnTX

RobBnTX Tele-Meister

I have one and love it! The only upgrade I am considering on mine right now is maybe a set of '58s but I am not sure how they compare to the vintage style stock pickups it came with. It is one sexy looking ax! I just wish I had more time to spend with it!!

KelvinS1965 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.