50's-60's Multivox Premier. (?)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by WineCaster, Feb 16, 2013.

1. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Holic

Hey all,

I recently picked up a Multivox premier hollow body guitar. It appear to be very old, finish is checked and company no longer exists. Made in New York. It's been stripped of all electronics but I ordered the guts to bring it back to life. I cannot find a single piece of information on this guitar, can anyone fill me in on its value, age, rarity ect?

Attached Files:

2. dtermined2play

dtermined2play Tele-Afflicted

I really dig the guitar, but the crates behind it are just AWESOME.

3. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Holic

Thanks! I'm from Oshkosh, WI home of some legendary brewers. I make my own beer and my parents kept these crates from many years ago that I now use to house my homebrews.

Attached Files:

4. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

The Peoples Brewing Company. I like that.

"Come the revolution, the people will own the breweries!"

:lol:

Didn't work, did it?

5. Ed Miller

Ed Miller Tele-Meister

A friend of mine had one that was complete. It had a wooden compensated bridge, and black plastic pickguard. Kinda like a ES 175. The pickup was unlike gibson, gretsch or dearmond. The cover was like a mini P-90 dog ear. and the lead wire had to be replaced because it was very brittle. the knobs looked like the with plastic ones used on a harmony or silvertone but had glittery, glitzy discs glued to the top. 500k pots and the toggle switch looked like the flush lver on a toilet. (Rotary switch) I did find a flyer on ebay back in the day for them. The company eventually became Univox and then Westbury.

\

6. Mightyaxeman

Mightyaxeman Tele-Afflicted

7. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Holic

I saw that one on eBay, crap condition, I can still play this one. However mine isn't drilled for a switch so I can't say it's the same model.

The mystery continues.

8. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Tele-Afflicted

They were built by a company out of New Jersey called "United/Code", and sold under different brand names. D'Angelico used their full size hollowbody laminated bodies for some electrics he built.

They came with white P90-oids not unlike 50's Guild pickups, or with white topped DeArmond pickups. There were one pickup models, and twin pickup models.

They often get mistaken for Guilds, because of the pickups, and because of the "small archtop" format, which Guild did in the 50's with their M75 model.

It's really hard to find these without binding rot, or even with binding left. Nice little guitar, cool find!

Here's "someone" playing one! : Bo!

9. Ed Miller

Ed Miller Tele-Meister

thank you, Walter! I thought They were made by that company. the pickup on Bo's is the same as the othe two I've seen. one was a single pickup the other was a double pickup, gold hardware. It was a nice playing guitar put it back together with a dearmond!

10. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Holic

Oh man, you guys! Thank you for adding more information about this guitar. After it's brought back to life, I'll have roughly $200 invested into it. Do you reckon it could get more or should I just keep it as a piece of guitar history?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  11. Ed Miller

Ed Miller Tele-Meister

My friends had gold plated metal covers had a great neck. Kinda reminded me of an ES140.

12. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Holic

The biggest mystery is why this wasn't drilled for a switch and why the pickup mount is drilled for a dogear p90 style pickup and not the four hole mount like every other one I see. I've been researching this guitar all morning and it seems most closely related to a Premier Bantam... except for the reasons I've listed. Could it be that someone took this from the production line and had it customize to their needs?

13. voodoo_idol

voodoo_idol Friend of Leo's

Premier and Multivox were brands/subsidiaries of the Peter Sorkin Music Company, which was based in NY, NY. Multivox was essentially his manufacturing arm. Premier amps are well regarded, and were used by the likes of Mickey Baker and Link Wray.

14. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Holic

I guess my last plausibly answerable question that I can ask is would it be advisable to drill a switch into this to include the bass/treble option found on the other models?

15. mindwave

mindwave Tele-Meister

if you HAVE a pickguard why not put the switch IN the guard or better yet get 2 push pull super knobs and use them to switch

its tricky, but can be done

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.