500kOhm Pots With High DCR P'ups

headly21

Tele-Meister
So, in my quest to find a decent set of pots and caps for my Tele build, one of the variables that I think needs considerin' is my Bootstrap Extra Crispy for Tele pickups at about 7.8kOhm and 7.2kOhm resistance for the bridge and neck, respectively.
Do these DCR values warrant the use of 500k pots? I want as wide a dynamic range of these pickups as I can get, of course without an ice pick through the ears.
I love the brightness, quack, spank, sparkle, and jangle of a Tele single coil set of pups and I don't want to smother that. But I also don't know how comparatively darker they might be and whether 500k pots would be a good choice.

I'm also planning to implement a push pull tone pot to switch between a 0.015uF and a 0.022 or 0.033 cap, just for tonsil variety.

And complicating this all a bit by using a 4-way switch to add the option for the neck and bridge in series.

Anyone else have experience with a similar setup with similar pickup resistance values (7.8 bridge & 7.2 neck) coupled with 500k audio taper lots and low-value (0.015uF & 0.022/or 0.033uF) caps?
Thanks!!

Kevin Wolfe

Tele-Holic
Those pickups don’t need 500k pots at all. Nor do I think you’ll hear any tonal difference between those caps. The difference will be in the perceived sweep of the tone pot.

Carcinogen

Tele-Meister
I think the 500k pots will be good when you run them in series, I just put 1 Meg pots into a tele where I am attempting to get 3 pickups in series to avoid mud. Still a work in progress, I’m fighting some grounding issues.

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
The d.c. resistance of a pickup has no bearing on what pots should be used to control them. Generally speaking, higher resistance means brighter sound. If you like th esensation of icepicks being driven into your skull then go with the 1 Megs.

Carcinogen

Tele-Meister
I’m aware the pickup’s resistance isn’t the deciding factor, but when you run start putting them in series you’ve got to use a higher value pot if you want to keep it twangy.

JRapp

Tele-Afflicted
250K all the way. Those aren't hot pickups by any means. And try an .05 if you want some low end (yes, it does make a difference).

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I haven't found a guitar yet where I like 250k pots better than 500k or 1 Meg volume--every swap I've made from the stock 250ks has been for the better.

ahiddentableau

Tele-Holic
As far as the 500k pots go, nobody can answer this for you. You have to try it and see if you like it. Simple as that. Some people will find it too bright, others will find it useful and like it. The only useful question is whether you tend to find your pickups/like you tone bright or warm.

headly21

Tele-Meister
I’m aware the pickup’s resistance isn’t the deciding factor, but when you run start putting them in series you’ve got to use a higher value pot if you want to keep it twangy.
Okay, this is what I did, and I'm happy with the results:

* 500kOhm CTS pots: (actual measured resistance is 426kOhms and 455kOhms, so I used the 455k for the tone control.)

* .033µF tone cap (actual measured value)

* 4-way switch:
Bridge
Bridge & Neck (series)
Bridge & Neck (parallel)
Neck

* Pyramid Pure Nickel "Jimi Hendrix Inspired" Custom string set:
.010, .013, .015, .026w, .032w, .038w

The tone control evenly tapers all the way through its travel, but it does not get too dark or muddy like a .047µF capacitor does. The .033µF tone cap retains some clarity even at zero.

I'm very happy with this setup. The strings are also a plus. Their response is a very even volume from all strings, and easier to play, too.

Now, the Bootstrap Extra Crispy for Tele pickups are definitely crispy. Actually, it's more like, full open volume pot gets a bit gritty, but it cleans up nicely with just a slight roll off of the knob. I like that control.

There's no sign of "too bright" or icepick. There's plenty of twang, and I am so diggin' the second position with both pickups in series!! Thanks for the advice about pot values in that regard.

Attachments

• IMG_20220621_235414~2.jpg
    IMG_20220621_235414~2.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 19