1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

500K vs 250K Pot in Tone control??

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by bdgregory, Aug 20, 2010.

1. bdgregory

bdgregory Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

What is the effect of using a different resistance spec in a Tone stack if all other things are the same? I'm building a "Deluxe like" amp, and the schematic shows tone pots are spec'd at 250K audio taper. I'm considering using 500k instead, for no other reason than I have them on hand and want to finish the amp this weekend. Will I be sorry?

2. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

I don't know, but when all I had was 500s on hand, I rewired my Strat. It still works, and I can still make it sound the way I want it.

3. jrsh

jrsh TDPRI Member

The function of a tone stack is dependent on every component-- generally a combination of resistors, pots and capacitors attenuates specific frequencies by specific amounts. The value of each capacitor in the tone stack is chosen to pass a certain frequency based on the resistance in front of or behind it. So, changing the value of the pots without changing the rest of the circuit will affect how it sounds and will change what happens when you turn the knobs. It's definitely possible to make a similarly designed, similar sounding tone stack using 500k pots, but dropping them in with no other adjustments could work out badly.

4. limbe

limbe Tele-Afflicted

In your place,I would skip the tonestack for now and just connect a 0.022 µF 600v capacitor from the anode of the first preamp tube to the upper lug of the volume control.
    This way,you can hear if everything is working as it should and avoid work that you know you will have to undo.

5. bdgregory

bdgregory Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

thanks guys!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.