1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

500k pots and when to use ?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by stupot, Sep 16, 2020.

1. stupot

stupot TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

previously, when i have upgraded the neck pick up, to a humbucker, i have as suggested, upgraded the pots to 500w. apparently gives a warmer sound etc.
    i am thinking of adding Seymour Duncan stl-3/str quarter pound pick ups set.these seem to have a high out put, would it be safe to say, i should upgrade pots to 500k's ?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  2. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

What's a 500w ?

3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

All other things being equal, a higher-value pot makes for a brighter sound. That's why they're typically paired with humbuckers; they compensate for the HB's darker tone compared to single-coil pickups (which are typically paired with 250k's).

This is just how it's usually done; there's no reason not to mix and match other than your not liking the sound. Jazzmaster pickups are a type of single-coil, and they're traditionally paired with 1meg pots, and plenty of players like that just fine. 1meg pots in my JM caused me physical pain so I experimented and wound up with 250k's with plenty of treble still on tap.

So I'd go with 500k for your typical humbucker, at least to start, and assess from there. I'd also consider them in cases where 1meg is too bright or 250k too dark.

JRapp, Boreas and stupot like this.
  4. stupot

typo 500k pots

5. stupot

so these Seymour Duncan quarter pounder is not a humbucker, but they seem to act like one. i have looked up other forums and it seems they do sound a bit muddy with out 500w pots, so i will try that first and can always change out i guess, thanks for input !

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  6. Javier668

Javier668 Tele-Meister

I use 500k and 0.022 cap with quarters and work flawlessly.
    If too bright Is easy move the pot .

stupot likes this.
  7. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Consider starting with a 1M pot and a 0.022 cap. If it is too bright, adjust the tone control - that's why you have it. IMO, this is why many people never touch their tone control - they don't want to cut any treble because they are barely getting enough. So instrument manufacturers cater to the masses, and because this is what people expect, it is how they engineer the tone control on their guitars - they install essentially a mud switch. IMO, it is a hindrance to actually controlling tone.

BUT, and this is a big BUT, I don't play in a band and have to cut through a mix. I do some home recording where tonal subtlety can play more of a role

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    stupot likes this.
  8. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

i've grown to love 1meg pots with.042 cap on my single coil pups cuz i like the optional brightness capacity with certain pedals

stupot likes this.
  9. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

On my 72 Custom I use a 500k on the P90 I put in the neck position (bridge pickup is 250k). I imagine if I'd used a 250k on the neck that I'd find it too dark and/or muddy, even with tone dimed.

10. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

Depends on the P90/humbucker/mini you install. You can use a low wind type with A3 magnets and have good results with a 250K.

Bella likes this.
  11. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Check out the video of the quarter-pounders on Youtube. They are using 250k pots and get plenty of treble and twang. I use the same, but with 50's gibson wiring with a .01 tone cap, and a 250k no-load tone pot. I thought my quarter-pounders sounded kind of harsh with 500k pots.

stupot likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.