500k Mini Pots with Vintage Taper?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Mhat, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Mhat

Mhat Tele-Meister

This relates to a Jazzmaster build I did. I still play my tele, so please forgive the straying to other models.

I put P90s (in jazzmaster housing) in it and wired it for dual volume and dual tone controls with 500k audio volume and tone pots (not linear). I used the rhythm switch to go between Modern and Vintage wiring (ala this link) for slightly different tone controls. The problem I'm having is the tone control only really works between 1-2. From what I have read, I need some vintage taper (around 30%) for a smoother tone control. I can easily order them from mojotone in the standard size, but I can't find anything in mini to fit the jazzmaster. Any thoughts?

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I used Biorns, which are smaller and available with the non linear/audio curve. They were the only ones that I could cram through the F-holes of my MIK Sheraton II. Did the 50's wiring along with them. No issues ever since.

3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's

Dismalhead likes this.
  4. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Have you measured the actual taper of your tone pot?

Edit: I should probably provide more information...

I replaced a normal 10% audio taper volume pot with a 30% "vintage taper" pot, which made the control's sweep closer to that of a linear (50%) pot. If your tone pot is truly audio (not linear) taper, I don't think that's the direction you want to go.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  5. Mhat

Mhat Tele-Meister

That's what I'll do next. I'm curious to see what they are. Supposedly a 70:30 ratio is best but most pots are 90:10.

6. Mhat

Mhat Tele-Meister

The whole reason why I went this direction is due the linked article. Near the end it states

"Vintage wiring works best with audio taper pots, preferably with a 60:40 or 70:30 ratio. Smaller ratios (like 80:20 or 90:10) will limit the inherently smooth response of vintage wiring and result in an “on-off” or “bright-dull” problem when using the controls."

I'm definitely getting the on-off effect with the tone pots right now. Volume works fine.

7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Sorry for the delay.

OK, measure the taper of the pot so you know your starting point. (I've also experienced the "on-off" effect, but only with a linear tone pot.) Then if you still want 30% taper, also look around for "J-taper" mini pots. That's what CTS calls its 30% taper.

8. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

"Vintage Audio Taper" is a term people use for the audio taper pots that were used in the vintage 50's guitars, which usually had a 30% audio taper. Most modern stock pots like CTS are 10% audio taper, which doesn't work as smoothly as a volume pot in electric guitars. There are many custom audio taper pots on the market that have the vintage 30% taper or similar, they refer to these usually as Vintage Audio Taper or Custom Audio Taper.
    Al

9. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's

@zombiwoof - good to know! I do see some listed as "vintage audio taper" when I search, but it would be good if they stated exactly what those are.

10. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted

I have used the Mojotone CTS vintage taper (30%) and the Dimarzio's CTS with a custom 20% taper and they both give a smooth volume roll off from 10 down to 0 when used for the volume control. Not sure if they would give the same response on the tone control though. I tend to prefer a standard audio taper pot for volume control as it allows you to clean up quickly from 10-8 and then it rolls off slower from 8 on down. The vintage tapers are closer to linear taper and don't allow that quick cleanup when rolling down the volume slightly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.